Mattingly resigns

Scott Dierking

Don Mattingly stepped aside as the Dodgers' hitting coach on Tuesday and was replaced by Mike Easler.

The Dodgers had to know it was coming if they had his replacement already set. Mattingly followed Joe Torre from New York to Los Angeles and was supposed to eventually replace Torre as the Dodgers' manager. However, he said he needed to go home for family reasons. He will remain in the organization as a special advisor and coach. "I'm very grateful that the Dodgers have allowed me to take care of these family matters and I hope that everyone can respect our privacy during this time," Mattingly said in press release. "I truly appreciate the support of all Dodger fans since joining the organization and I look forward to helping the team win in 2008 and beyond.

Supposedly he's getting a divorce. Sad stuff when you see the rarity of a modern day athlete who's geniunely a good family man go through this.

I saw Tommy John several years ago in an interview and when asked "were there any guys you never saw with another woman who didn't screw around on his wife" and witout hesitation TJ said "Mattingly"

If it truly is a divorce, that is a shame. They are married some 25 years, if I remember correctly. To get divorced at this stage is a real shame. I always thought Donnie was one of the real "Family Men" in Baseball.

Maybe Kim is not pleased that Donnie went to the Dodgers. It was either the Yankees or come home.

Supposedly he's getting a divorce. Sad stuff when you see the rarity of a modern day athlete who's geniunely a good family man go through this.

I saw Tommy John several years ago in an interview and when asked "were there any guys you never saw with another woman who didn't screw around on his wife" and witout hesitation TJ said "Mattingly"

If that is true I am sorry to hear about that- tough to keep a marriage together when people are on the road so much.

Archived