Raiders resign Fargas

Matt39

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3244789

Raiders re-sign Fargas following 1,000-yard season

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Running back Justin Fargas agreed to a new contact with the Oakland Raiders on Wednesday instead of testing the market as a free agent.

Bringing back Fargas had been a priority this offseason for the Raiders. He is coming off his first career 1,000-yard rushing performance last season despite starting only seven games. He began the year as the backup to LaMont Jordan and missed the final two games of the season with a sprained MCL in his right knee.

But he excelled when he got playing time, topping 100 yards four times last season, including gaining a season-high 179 as a backup against the Miami Dolphins. His 676 yards rushing in his seven starts were the second most in the NFL in that span, trailing only San Diego's LaDanian Tomlinson (694).

Fargas finished the season with 1,009 yards on 222 rushes for an average of 4.5 yards per carry. He also ran for four touchdowns.

Fargas became the first player to lead Oakland in rushing for consecutive years since Charlie Garner in 2001-02. He finished with 659 yards rushing last season when LaMont Jordan missed the final six games with a knee injury.

He had only 80 carries his first three seasons in the NFL, spending much of the time on the bench before getting his chance the past two seasons.

By keeping Fargas, the Raiders would be unlikely to draft running back Darren McFadden of Arkansas in the April draft. Oakland will have either the third or fourth overall pick, pending a coin flip with Atlanta, and could have been interested in McFadden if they were looking for a starting running back.

Fargas is expected to go into next season as the starter. The Raiders still must decide whether to keep Jordan and Dominic Rhodes for next season or choose to save money by releasing or trading them. Oakland also is expecting to get a contribution in 2008 from Michael Bush, who missed his entire rookie season while recovering from a broken leg.

Oakland's most prominent free agent is cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who is expected to be designated as the team's franchise player if he does not sign a long-term deal. As a franchise player, Asomugha would be guaranteed $9.465 million in 2008. If Asomugha signed with another team, Oakland would have the chance to match the contract or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Solid resigning by the Raiders. This should take them out of the Darren McFadden sweepstakes.

As for Jordan, he's scheduled to make more than $5 million this year and will most likely be released. Some team will pick him up. He'll fit in nicely to a team that will use him no more than 10-15 times a game. After that, he is useless. Would actually go well in Miami as a change of pace back to Ronnie Brown. Then again, it looks as if they'll keep Ricky Williams.

Solid resigning by the Raiders. This should take them out of the Darren McFadden sweepstakes.

As for Jordan, he's scheduled to make more than $5 million this year and will most likely be released. Some team will pick him up. He'll fit in nicely to a team that will use him no more than 10-15 times a game. After that, he is useless. Would actually go well in Miami as a change of pace back to Ronnie Brown. Then again, it looks as if they'll keep Ricky Williams.

I don't think it has an baring on McFadden personally. From what i've gathered the deal has a very large majority of the money upfront and on the first year, which basically comes out to a 1 year deal with the options for the last two. I could have heard wrong, but I wouldn't doubt it. Also, this is Al Davis we are speaking of, we have absolutely no idea the route he is going to be going and I beleive he said he would be making the choice and not Lane Kiffin. So I don't think McFadden is out of the picture. Just my thoughts on it though.

The Raiders would be crazy to draft McFadden with all their other holes on offense and defense.

They really missed an opporunity to build an explosive offense last season. If they had drafted Calvin Johnson and signed Daunte Culpeper Randy Moss would have probably stayed. Instead they pass up Johnson, draft Jamarcus Russell, and end up having to sign Culpeper at the 11th hour anyway.

Not that I don't think Russell will be a good QB but they could have had a lethal group of wr's in Moss, Calvin Johnson and Jerry Porter.

I don't think it has an baring on McFadden personally. From what i've gathered the deal has a very large majority of the money upfront and on the first year, which basically comes out to a 1 year deal with the options for the last two. I could have heard wrong, but I wouldn't doubt it. Also, this is Al Davis we are speaking of, we have absolutely no idea the route he is going to be going and I beleive he said he would be making the choice and not Lane Kiffin. So I don't think McFadden is out of the picture. Just my thoughts on it though.

If Al Davis is making the selection then we know for sure who the Raiders will be targeting:

1. A strong armed Quarterback - They already have this.

2. A Wide Receiver - DeSean Jackson won't go in the Top 5, unless Davis feels the need to reach, which leaves...

3. A guy who is a "Raider" - Chris Long, Howie Long's son. A popular pick in Raider Nation.

Absolutely... they are hoping he lasts till 5..but dont forget folks they stil have to flip a coin... they could have as high as 3... and that would almost guarantee them netting howies son..

As for DMC with us.. I saty take him...I rather secure a special talent and build an o-line via free agency or over a period of 2 seasons..but you grab the best availiable player and if mcfadden drops to us..he is just that...

If Al Davis is making the selection then we know for sure who the Raiders will be targeting:

1. A strong armed Quarterback - They already have this.

2. A Wide Receiver - DeSean Jackson won't go in the Top 5, unless Davis feels the need to reach, which leaves...

3. A guy who is a "Raider" - Chris Long, Howie Long's son. A popular pick in Raider Nation.

Yeah, I can't see the Raiders passing on Long despite the fact that they already have Burgess. The fans will adore him there.

Archived