Baby used as shield in gunbattle

Blackout

Last Update: Tuesday, July 12, 2005. 9:39am (AEST)

Baby used as shield in fatal gunbattle

Police in Los Angeles are investigating a shootout with officers that killed a gunman and his baby daughter who he apparently used as a human shield in the battle.

Police say 35-year-old Jose Lemos clutched the 19-month-old girl and fired a pistol as he charged out of a South Los Angeles apartment building at the end of a two-hour standoff with police on Sunday.

Lemos "was using the baby as a shield", said LAPD Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell, who said "officers used as much restraint as humanly possible".

A special tactics police officer was shot in the shoulder during the gun battle in South Los Angeles, according to authorities. The officer is expected to recover.

Lemos "appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs and was quite despondent," police Lieutenant Paul Vernon said.

"He came out shooting randomly at the people out on the street as well as police officers."

"At the time that he was firing those shots, he was holding a 19-month-old baby in his arms," Lieutenant Vernon said.

"When officers fired in self-defence, the suspect went down, as well as the baby."

Autopsies will be conducted on Tuesday, according to Lieutenant Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. Testing to determine whether Lemos was high on drugs or alcohol is expected to take weeks, he said.

The autopsy on the girl is to determine whether she was killed by police bullets, Assistant chief McDonnell said.

Police laid siege to the apartment building after Lemos retreated inside after being seen outside holding a pistol and a baby late on Sunday, according to authorities.

-AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1412078.htm

Last Update: Tuesday, July 12, 2005. 9:39am (AEST)

Baby used as shield in fatal gunbattle

Police in Los Angeles are investigating a shootout with officers that killed a gunman and his baby daughter who he apparently used as a human shield in the battle.

Police say 35-year-old Jose Lemos clutched the 19-month-old girl and fired a pistol as he charged out of a South Los Angeles apartment building at the end of a two-hour standoff with police on Sunday.

Lemos "was using the baby as a shield", said LAPD Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell, who said "officers used as much restraint as humanly possible".

A special tactics police officer was shot in the shoulder during the gun battle in South Los Angeles, according to authorities. The officer is expected to recover.

Lemos "appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs and was quite despondent," police Lieutenant Paul Vernon said.

"He came out shooting randomly at the people out on the street as well as police officers."

"At the time that he was firing those shots, he was holding a 19-month-old baby in his arms," Lieutenant Vernon said.

"When officers fired in self-defence, the suspect went down, as well as the baby."

Autopsies will be conducted on Tuesday, according to Lieutenant Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. Testing to determine whether Lemos was high on drugs or alcohol is expected to take weeks, he said.

The autopsy on the girl is to determine whether she was killed by police bullets, Assistant chief McDonnell said.

Police laid siege to the apartment building after Lemos retreated inside after being seen outside holding a pistol and a baby late on Sunday, according to authorities.

-AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1412078.htm

Crap like that needs to be seen. That is possibly by far the most f-ed up situation I've ever read and as a cop, I can easily say that that incident takes the cake for being a top nightmare situation.

To make matters worse, the corner ruled that the bullet that killed the child was from a LAPD rifle. That officer will be psychologically scarred for life I'd imagine. From everything I read the officers had no choice. I refuse to second guess them at all, although the media will be sure to turn it into a national crusade. Regardless of how tragic and unfortunate it was, the father killed that baby, no one else.

Crap like that needs to be seen. That is possibly by far the most f-ed up situation I've ever read and as a cop, I can easily say that that incident takes the cake for being a top nightmare situation.

To make matters worse, the corner ruled that the bullet that killed the child was from a LAPD rifle. That officer will be psychologically scarred for life I'd imagine. From everything I read the officers had no choice. I refuse to second guess them at all, although the media will be sure to turn it into a national crusade. Regardless of how tragic and unfortunate it was, the father killed that baby, no one else.

What could the media possibly second guess. If the guy was spraying bullets around putting numerous lives in danger, the only choice is to open fire. Sadly in a situation like that, you dont have too many options. If they dont fire and save the baby, many others could be lost.

What could the media possibly second guess. If the guy was spraying bullets around putting numerous lives in danger, the only choice is to open fire. Sadly in a situation like that, you dont have too many options. If they dont fire and save the baby, many others could be lost.

Only the most vile scum of the earth would even think about using his child as a shield. Hopefully there is some doubt as to which cop fired the shot that killed the baby, the guy was just doing his job and shouldn't have to carry that burden.

Only the most vile scum of the earth would even think about using his child as a shield. Hopefully there is some doubt as to which cop fired the shot that killed the baby, the guy was just doing his job and shouldn't have to carry that burden.

Everytime I read this I try to put myself in their shoes and can't imagine it. I can't. There's the nightmare situation, and then there's this. This takes the cake. If an officer gets singled out they better put him on suicide watch because this is the type of thing that haunts a guy for the rest of his life.

Everytime I read this I try to put myself in their shoes and can't imagine it. I can't. There's the nightmare situation, and then there's this. This takes the cake. If an officer gets singled out they better put him on suicide watch because this is the type of thing that haunts a guy for the rest of his life.

Archived