McFadden's official combine weigh in

Iceman88

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah not necessarily. Muscle is added weight, there's like a cutoff where muscle starts slowing you down, no matter where it is. The added muscle could give you more power to drive off of, and some of the posters here argue that it also prevents injury. I think it'd probably slow him down some and cause him to fatigue quicker, although you really have to see how it affects that person specifically. People's bodys are different, it may have no effect, it might speed him up a bit, or it might slow him down, but then it might still be worth it if the slow down isn't too much but the power increase is great.

Hmmm, interesting.

I wonder if it's worth the experiment on McFaddens part then.

Nah not necessarily. Muscle is added weight, there's like a cutoff where muscle starts slowing you down, no matter where it is. The added muscle could give you more power to drive off of, and some of the posters here argue that it also prevents injury. I think it'd probably slow him down some and cause him to fatigue quicker, although you really have to see how it affects that person specifically. People's bodys are different, it may have no effect, it might speed him up a bit, or it might slow him down, but then it might still be worth it if the slow down isn't too much but the power increase is great.

But remember guys you are drafting him at 6 because he is a flawless prospect. That's why you are going to hand him a check for millions in guarenteed money. Not to go out there and eat more cheeseburgers and hope it doesn't slow him down too much and gives him enough power. also there is the injury issues with a smaller lower body. All of these things are why at 6 it is way too high for him.

Well no back his size has ever proven to be capable of having 25+ carries a game.

Tiki Barber is bigger than McFadden now?

I'm not a fan of McFadden or Toon's love affair, but I don't see McFadden's size as a problem. It's his running style I don't like. As for his size, Leon and Jones-Drew could be the same size, but one look at them and you know which one will hold up better. Same thing with McFadden, even if he has the size he still has skinny legs and I don't care how many squats he does, or how many trips to the pharmacist, he's not going to turn into Earl Campbell.

Tiki Barber is bigger than McFadden now?

205/5'10" = 2.928

211/6'1" = 2.930

Then consider hip size. I would take Tiki in that department. Tiki worked very hard to become the pro he became. Again, do you want to draft someone at 6 that will take the same amount of years to develope?

But remember guys you are drafting him at 6 because he is a flawless prospect. That's why you are going to hand him a check for millions in guarenteed money. Not to go out there and eat more cheeseburgers and hope it doesn't slow him down too much and gives him enough power. also there is the injury issues with a smaller lower body. All of these things are why at 6 it is way too high for him.

There is no such thing as a 'flawless prospect'.

205/5'10" = 2.928

211/6'1" = 2.930

Then consider hip size. I would take Tiki in that department. Tiki worked very hard to become the pro he became. Again, do you want to draft someone at 6 that will take the same amount of years to develope?

Aside from Barry Sanders, RBs pretty much never come in right away and do well (another reason why I think LW should be doing more and more soon). And if McFadden is a terrible prospect because of size, what do you think of Brick at #4, and noted run blocking problems?

Aside from Barry Sanders, RBs pretty much never come in right away and do well (another reason why I think LW should be doing more and more soon). And if McFadden is a terrible prospect because of size, what do you think of Brick at #4, and noted run blocking problems?

Every year atleast one rookie RB runs for 1,000 yards. RB is the easiest position to draft. Period. D Brick's problem wasn't and isn't his lower body. It's his upper body. He should be able to add weight up there and not lose his skills. D'Brick played good this year and was not the problem with the OL, imho.

205/5'10" = 2.928

211/6'1" = 2.930

Do you have their hip measurements? If not then don't give me any bull**** about them. This is like the doseage index at the Derby. Numbers don't tell the whole story. I'm on the record as saying I don't want the guy, but it's because of his running style, not his size. I don't see enough wiggle.

P.S. Tiki's weight is his published weight, not the weight at the combine. Players go into the combine light to run faster in the tests. There is no contact and therefore little reason to pack on the pounds. Do you have Tiki's weight at the combine? If not you might as well take Toon's published weight of 218. Hell just add 10-20 lbs to the combine weight. I'm sure that after five years in the league McFadden will weigh more than 211.

Do you have their hip measurements? If not then don't give me any bull**** about them. This is like the doseage index at the Derby. Numbers don't tell the whole story. I'm on the record as saying I don't want the guy, but it's because of his running style, not his size. I don't see enough wiggle.

P.S. Tiki's weight is his published weight, not the weight at the combine. Players go into the combine light to run faster in the tests. There is no contact and therefore little reason to pack on the pounds. Do you have Tiki's weight at the combine? If not you might as well take Toon's published weight of 218. Hell just add 10-20 lbs to the combine weight. I'm sure that after five years in the league McFadden will weigh more than 211.

Get some glass and you will see the difference in their hips.

At the combine I think Peterson was 6' 1 1/2" and 217 lbs. So 1/2" taller and 6 lbs heavier. Similar enough to me; anyone can put on 3-4 lbs & if done I doubt anyone with any sense would be pointing to the significance of 217 lbs vs 214-215 lbs.

But it's not the overall weight. Like now people are bringing up Barry Sanders. It wasn't how light or heavy Sanders weighed. He had stout legs, particularly about the quad/calf:

sandersb.jpg

Now check out Peterson. Eerily similar:

61220.JPG

LT2's done pretty well as a pro. Look at the tree trunks he walks on:

tomlinson-large.jpg

For good measure, let's look at someone else who's pretty good at breaking tackles at the NFL level. Anything about this picture of MBIII jumping out at you?

marionbarberIII.jpg

Now look at Darren McFadden & his Mr. Salty pretzel sticks:

26704259.jpg

I don't care if McFadden is 5 lbs HEAVIER than Peterson at 1/2" shorter (which he isn't anyway). But if he is, it means he's top-heavy. There's no way he has the lower-body power to run through tackles the same as those other three. Peterson runs through them at the NFL level (as do LT2 and MBIII); McFadden had difficulty with that at the NCAA level.

If we do take him, I hope he's the unstoppable Superman some make him out to be.

Get some glass and you will see the difference in their hips.

You mean glasses? That would be funnier. ;)

This is way too gay for me. I don't want to measure their asses or even know the size. Especially not Tiki. I agree with Sperm's follow-up that it's not necessarily the size, but the way they are built, but that post is way to gay for me quote. "Oh my God, Becky.... look at his butt".

Also, this kind of measurement talk makes me feel that maybe Cedric Benson had a point about the combine.

You mean glasses? That would be funnier. ;)

This is way too gay for me. I don't want to measure their asses or even know the size. Especially not Tiki. I agree with Sperm's follow-up that it's not necessarily the size, but the way they are built, but that post is way to gay for me quote. "Oh my God, Becky.... look at his butt".

Also, this kind of measurement talk makes me feel that maybe Cedric Benson had a point about the combine.

You are right, glasses is funnier. Why didn't I think of that? ;-)

It is gay, but that's what you get at Jetnation.com. ;-)

At the combine I think Peterson was 6' 1 1/2" and 217 lbs. So 1/2" taller and 6 lbs heavier. Similar enough to me; anyone can put on 3-4 lbs & if done I doubt anyone with any sense would be pointing to the significance of 217 lbs vs 214-215 lbs.

But it's not the overall weight. Like now people are bringing up Barry Sanders. It wasn't how light or heavy Sanders weighed. He had stout legs, particularly about the quad/calf:

sandersb.jpg

Now check out Peterson. Eerily similar:

61220.JPG

LT2's done pretty well as a pro. Look at the tree trunks he walks on:

tomlinson-large.jpg

For good measure, let's look at someone else who's pretty good at breaking tackles at the NFL level. Anything about this picture of MBIII jumping out at you?

marionbarberIII.jpg

Now look at Darren McFadden & his Mr. Salty pretzel sticks:

26704259.jpg

I don't care if McFadden is 5 lbs HEAVIER than Peterson at 1/2" shorter (which he isn't anyway). But if he is, it means he's top-heavy. There's no way he has the lower-body power to run through tackles the same as those other three. Peterson runs through them at the NFL level (as do LT2 and MBIII); McFadden had difficulty with that at the NCAA level.

If we do take him, I hope he's the unstoppable Superman some make him out to be.

LOL, the first thing I notice about these pics is that the others are way more zoomed in whereas McFaddens is more long distance. Except maybe Barbers who's lower legs you can't really see.

even so, I get your point and agree.

Look if we were to get 3 out of these 5 things done:

F Adams, Fanecca, J Walker (or workout the coles disaster), S Rodgers, and C Pace.

Then I would think about DMC at 6 and use him like Reggie Bush is used. We would still need a power back - but we could get one of those cheap prolly. But not right now with the shape the team is in.

LOL, the first thing I notice about these pics is that the others are way more zoomed in whereas McFaddens is more long distance. Except maybe Barbers who's lower legs you can't really see.

What does the size of the picture have to do with anything? Tell you what: YOU find a picture of McFadden where his legs look like that of an NFL RB expected to break tackles.

Here's another one of MBIII:

bucsbarber.jpg

Here's a closer one of McFadden:

get_image?provider_id=532&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2686687

And here's a closer one of McFadden cut off at the knee if it makes you happy:

img.76474_t.jpg

They still look like stilts compared to the others. I don't wish injury on anyone, but he will have a short career.

Winner: Rashard Mendenhall. The Illinois running back considers himself the best back in the draft, and there are definitely NFL coaches who agree with that assessment.

Loser: Darren McFadden. After he weighed in at 211 pounds, a whole lot of people in Indianapolis were saying McFadden, the Arkansas running back, just doesn't have enough lower-body muscle to fight for tough yards in the NFL.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/23/nfl-combine-winners-and-losers/

Posted in another thread. But I felt it was appropriate for this one.

If we do draft McFadden, I'd still want the Jets to get another back for the short yardage situation. Maybe a fullback.

The question is, who do you take over McFadden? I dont see any Calvin Johnsons or Laron Landrys that we could reasonably take over him. This draft is weak at the top, and you cant assume a trade down is going to happen.

I want a difference maker. Somebody teams have to account for. No more stinkin O-lineman in the top 10.

McFadden is a risk. A risk I am willing to take. Its time for the Jets to risk.

Here's what I mean Sperm. From these picks:

Adrian_Peterson_OUvsBSU.jpg

mcfadden2.jpg

I don't see any major differences between the two in terms of size.

I do. And you found a picture of AP where he's coming down from dancing sideways & one of DMC where he's pushing off.

I tried to find somewhat sideways pictures b/c you can't see as well otherwise. Maybe I had trouble finding ones of McFadden b/c he's so fast that a camera can't keep up with him & one must take a picture of him head-on.

If we do draft McFadden, I'd still want the Jets to get another back for the short yardage situation. Maybe a fullback.

The question is, who do you take over McFadden? I dont see any Calvin Johnsons or Laron Landrys that we could reasonably take over him. This draft is weak at the top, and you cant assume a trade down is going to happen.

I want a difference maker. Somebody teams have to account for. No more stinkin O-lineman in the top 10.

McFadden is a risk. A risk I am willing to take. Its time for the Jets to risk.

That's pretty much my reasoning as well. That and the fact that short yardage is really a product of your O-line. Doesn't matter who we used last year, nobody was getting that yardage.

I do. And you found a picture of AP where he's coming down from dancing sideways & one of DMC where he's pushing off.

I tried to find somewhat sideways pictures b/c you can't see as well otherwise. Maybe I had trouble finding ones of McFadden b/c he's so fast that a camera can't keep up with him & one must take a picture of him head-on.

Careful, your gonna get a certain someone excited by talking positive about DMC!:roll:

Those guys are all pansies. This is what an NFL running back is supposed to look like:

oilers_gall1.jpg

or this:

cookie02.jpg

or this:

marion-motley-at.jpg

No you lack of history ****ers, that is not a DT running in a fumble, it is a career 5 yard per carry HOF running back. Look at the Chucks!

That last guy is bigger than D'Brick!

LOL, two of the pics you posted of McFadden were him entering the endzone, tense times.:rl:

p1_peterson.jpg

mcfadden2.jpg

There's pictures of the two at the same level doing similar moves. I honestly don't see any major differences, I really don't.

Except the fact that Adrian Peterson is missing half of his right leg.:rl:

LOL, two of the pics you posted of McFadden were him entering the endzone, tense times.:rl:

p1_peterson.jpg

mcfadden2.jpg

There's pictures of the two at the same level doing similar moves. I honestly don't see any major differences, I really don't.

Except the fact that Adrian Peterson is missing half of his right leg.:rl:

Look at AP's eyes! looking downfield for his next move, DMC looking at the player he just juked, head down.

LOL, two of the pics you posted of McFadden

I was trying to find a profile first. Second, he was pushing off. But again, I'll leave it to you to show me ONE picture where his lower body looks stout. If you say I was being too choosy with the pictures of others, then YOU be just as choosy. Closeup, far away, I won't be so picky. Find me ONE picture. ONE.

Archived