Robertson to Bengals still has some life

faba

Bengals notebook

Lewis: Robertson could still land here

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

So far, Bengals free agency 2008 will be remembered for the ones that got away.

Detroit defensive tackle Shaun Rogers ended up in Cleveland instead of Cincinnati, a deal nixed Friday by the NFL because of an unprecedented provision involving a $1 million roster bonus.

A trade for another defensive tackle, Dewayne Robertson of the Jets, fell through Monday. But a day later, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said the swap of fourth- and fifth-round Bengals' draft picks for Robertson is not yet dead.

["I wouldn't say that. You know, I don't think that would be true at all," he said.

Lewis spoke as the Bengals introduced Odom, who was signed Monday to a five-year, $29.5 million deal after four seasons with the Tennessee Titans.

Then he was asked if the near-misses on Rogers and the situation with Robertson made the signing of defensive end Antwan Odom more urgent.

"I guess you see why we don't say too much about things until they're done," Lewis said of the Bengals' secretive ways. "The only thing I'll say is that neither one of those things had to do with dollars and cents. It had nothing to do with money. ... There are a lot of variables.

"They were kind of running on parallel tracks, basically. At the same time we had Antwan set to come in. We were running on parallel tracks (to) see what happens and how things fit together. There is still some flexibility if things fall into place."

Lewis said the snag on Robertson was not money. Robertson's agent, Hadley Engelhard, told the New York Daily News that the problem was renegotiating a new contract to replace the final two years of Robertson's existing deal, which calls for base salaries totaling more than $18 million. The Bengals are said to be concerned with a bone-on-bone condition in Robertson's knee.

RE-SIGNED: The Bengals have brought back punter Kyle Larson with a five-year contract and linebacker Dhani Jones for three.

Larson has been the Bengals' punter for four seasons, and has averaged 42.8 yards a punt during his career.

"I set goals at the start of every season, and I want to just keep getting better every year," Larson said in a statement. "Cincinnati has been so good to me and my wife, I feel very fortunate to be staying here and getting the chance to keep playing in front of our fans."

Jones started playing for the Bengals in 2007, making nine starts at outside linebacker. He ranked second on the team in tackles (111), and tied for the team lead in forced fumbles (two).

"Dhani did a good job, on and off the field, as a leader," Lewis said. "He had been a starting player for a long time in the NFL, but he was willing to come in and accept whatever role was given to him.

"He had a quick 'training camp' for a few games, and soon he was one of our core players," Lewis said.

TALENT POOL: Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, on the job for two months, attended Tuesday's news conference.

"Well, I'm always pushing for it," Zimmer said when asked if there would be more talent arriving soon. "I'm not done yet. We need all kinds of things. (But) what we've got we'll play with."

VISITS: Cleveland free agent defensive tackle Ethan Kelley visited the Bengals, and Colts free agent tight end Ben Utecht will be in Cincinnati on Thursday.

Interesting. Well before the end of June (at the latest) he's going to be with a different team. So we will see by then.

But hasn't he had this condition basically since he was drafted? He must play with some pain. He never misses a game.

Gil Brandt was talking about D Rob yesterday...the injury concern has been discussed amongst the gms that were interested. The Jets may be forced to release him or trade for much less than anticipated

Less than anticipated? I don't think there is such a thing as less than I anticipated. I guess that the way this is shaking down we will end up with nothing but some cap room. Shame because I'm sure than Robertson will start all sixteen games somewhere in '08.

the word on sirius is that there are medical concerns for Dewayne.. bastard

That's bunk! They have been talking about his knee since he was in college. He's started every game since he's been here. I've never once seen him hobble off the field. The other teams know that as they have seen him play (especially if they do have interest in him).

That's bunk! They have been talking about his knee since he was in college. He's started every game since he's been here. I've never once seen him hobble off the field. The other teams know that as they have seen him play (especially if they do have interest in him).

Don't be so sure. The Bengals FO is evidently quite dense.

Archived