Bengals still could acquire DT Robertson; Would be a less risky deal after June 1

jetfuel

NFL Insider

Bengals still could acquire DT Robertson; Would be a less risky deal after June 1

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Quality defensive tackles are becoming a premium around the NFL. Just ask the Bengals.

They tried to trade for Detroit tackle Shaun Rogers. And the Bengals had a trade in place with the Jets for Dewayne Robertson in exchange for fourth- and fifth-round draft picks.

The league scuttled the Rogers trade, buying the Browns a sliver of time and a second chance to sweep in and offer Detroit what it wanted in the first place, cornerback Leigh Bodden.

Robertson, a former University of Kentucky star, visited the Bengals on Monday. A deal had been struck to tear up the final two years of Robertson's existing contract with New York - calling for more than $18 million in base salaries. The problem was Robertson's health, primarily the condition of a surgically repaired knee. He and the Bengals had agreed on a five-year contract worth about $28 million, including more than $10 million in the first year. But Robertson's knees made the deal too risky for the Bengals.

Without going into any detail whatsoever, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis on Tuesday - during a press conference to introduce defensive end Antwan Odom, who had signed a five-year free-agent contract with Cincinnati - said the problem with the Robertson trade was not money.

Robertson and the Jets are in a hard spot. New York's wild offseason spending spree includes a trade with Carolina for nose tackle Kris Jenkins, whom Jets head coach Eric Mangini considers a better fit at the center of his three-lineman defense than Robertson. The Jets gave Jenkins a new five-year contract for $35 million, including $20 million in bonuses and guaranteed money.

Robertson could be a post-June 1 salary-cap cut, which would allow the Jets to absorb the cap hit over two years. At that point, the Bengals - or another team - could get Robertson for a far less risky deal.

So alas the money wasn't a factor. That wasn't what was too risky. It was the 4th/5th round draft picks that made it risky. Mmm-kay.

They could drop 10 spots in the 3rd round & recoup that 4th rounder, then move their 6th & 7th for a 5th (which someone would do) - if that's all it's about. Now they still have picks in rounds 1-5. 7th round picks don't even have a 5% chance of actually being a good starter.

So the risk of a 6th rounder (after the 3rd/4th/5th round comp picks drops that likely player's value down to nearly nothing) is the holdup in getting an instant-starter at DT for them, and not $10M in year one? Ok, right.

So alas the money wasn't a factor. That wasn't what was too risky. It was the 4th/5th round draft picks that made it risky. Mmm-kay.

They could drop 10 spots in the 3rd round & recoup that 4th rounder, then move their 6th & 7th for a 5th (which someone would do) - if that's all it's about. Now they still have picks in rounds 1-5. 7th round picks don't even have a 5% chance of actually being a good starter.

So the risk of a 6th rounder (after the 3rd/4th/5th round comp picks drops that likely player's value down to nearly nothing) is the holdup in getting an instant-starter at DT for them, and not $10M in year one? Ok, right.

Think maybe it's DRob & the Bengals holding up the Jets for the $3M roster bonus? If they are going to get picks they might be willing to hold on to him. Of course, post June 1, the Jets won't be getting '08 picks. Doesn't anybody else want this guy? ****, there are guys I consider worse getting big contracts.

Think maybe it's DRob & the Bengals holding up the Jets for the $3M roster bonus? If they are going to get picks they might be willing to hold on to him. Of course, post June 1, the Jets won't be getting '08 picks. Doesn't anybody else want this guy? ****, there are guys I consider worse getting big contracts.

What, you mean like "We'll give you the 4th & 5th rounders for DRob...on June 2nd."?

Maybe. But then Cincy said they were tearing up his NYJ contract so it wouldn't be paid anyway. I suppose you could argue that DRob would agree to take $3M less from the Bengals if he got it from the Jets.

Same article tried to make it sound like Jenkins got 20 guaranteed which he did not too so ....

I actually find this encouraging.

If it was D-Rob just refusing to work out a deal and demanding to become a FA, the deal is off, He walks as a FA,

If it is Cincy trying to just grab him for free, that could back fire.

Denver just had their starting DT arrested for what appears to be serious drug and gun charges. Everyone has known about D-Robs knee. If I were Denver I would be very temped to grad D-Rob, cut a deal, and surrender the picks.

It's a risk, but better then getting into a bidding war as tight as DT's are this year.

IMO it will go down after the draft. Coaches aren't as protective of their draft picks in next year's draft as they are in this year's. Heck they might not even be coaches next year.

Same article tried to make it sound like Jenkins got 20 guaranteed which he did not too so ....

It said $20M in bonuses AND guaranteed money on a $35M contract.

I count $12.5M in salary on a $30.25M contract.

That leaves $17.75M in bonuses & guaranteed money. Not correct, but not that far off.

What, you mean like "We'll give you the 4th & 5th rounders for DRob...on June 2nd."?

Maybe. But then Cincy said they were tearing up his NYJ contract so it wouldn't be paid anyway. I suppose you could argue that DRob would agree to take $3M less from the Bengals if he got it from the Jets.

I don't know. It didn't make sense to me either, but that article seemed to think they were waiting until June 2. It is encouraging that DRob would redo the deal. I'd be interested to know what his agent had to say, but I guess he has to keep quiet.

Archived