Do you feel there is a big drop off after the 10 spot???

CoachTsurfing

Looking at things on the numerous draft sites and from watching college games when I can, I have noticed that outside 6 or 7 players there seems to be a drop off. Now, I think it's far to say I haven't watched game tape or seen every snap a guy has made, but I do think that outside the top 10 picks there is a drop off. I think there is depth in this draft but pure special players are not going to be abundant. That being said if we keep the 6th pick and get a player like Long, Mcfadden, or Gholston might be better then getting a few good players if we traded down with Dallas for instance. Remember the draft is a crap shot. What do you guys think?

I'm sure in 2004 everyone was convinced of the big dropoff from Robert Gallery to Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey or Chris Snee.

Or of the dropoff from Reggie Williams to Lee Evans.

...or in '03 Charles Rogers to Anquan Boldin.

They're all just prospects; even the most highly-touted ones. People think they "knew it" hindsight.

I'm sure in 2004 everyone was convinced of the big dropoff from Robert Gallery to Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey or Chris Snee.

Or of the dropoff from Reggie Williams to Lee Evans

...or in '03 Charles Rogers to Anquan Boldin.

They're all just prospects; even the most highly-touted ones. People think they "knew it" hindsight.

Bingo!

Yeah, I see your point. right now there is so much hype about Gholston and Mcfadden that it seems the rest of the draft doesn't even matter much. I think I would still hold onto the pick unless we get a great trade for them. It seems lately we've been giving guys away for nothing.

Yeah, I see your point. right now there is so much hype about Gholston and Mcfadden that it seems the rest of the draft doesn't even matter much. I think I would still hold onto the pick unless we get a great trade for them. It seems lately we've been giving guys away for nothing.

What are we giving away? Look at it in reverse.

What we got for Vilma - pretend it was the other way around:

Would you trade a 4th round pick this year, and a conditional trade down from round 2 to round 4 next year, and $1M in cap space in '08, so you can have one season (2008) of Jonathan Vilma? If not, then this was a good move for us.

And even if we get nothing for DRob:

If DRob was off the team, and was an available FA, would you sign him up for two years $18M? If not, then this is a good move for us.

What many people are getting caught up in is that we drafted both of these guys too high in the first place.

The best prospect I ever saw was Keith McCants. I thought for sure he'd be the next Lawrence Taylor.

I liked McCants too. I was split between Cortez Kennedy, McCants or Seau. My dad was 100% for Seau and he eventually convinced me. Man we were pissed when they took Thomas.

I have a feeling ths draft will have alot of sleepers later on..that are getting no press..but wil become stars... centrel floridas rb..comes to mind... Chad Henne or Andre woodson also come to mind

I agree, but Henne and Woodson are two guys I'm not that high on.

What many people are getting caught up in is that we drafted both of these guys too high in the first place.

This is the problem with discussing trades with fans. We remember where these guys came from, but if the current coaching staff worries about that they are morons. It's all about value going forward. Don't compound the mistake by holding on to the guy too long or letting a stiff start because he was a high draft pick. If Abraham Elam is better than Eric Smith he should start, if Schlegel isn't cutting it in this system dump him. Ego can be a good thing, but you can't let it cloud your decision making.

What are we giving away? Look at it in reverse.

What we got for Vilma - pretend it was the other way around:

Would you trade a 4th round pick this year, and a conditional trade down from round 2 to round 4 next year, and $1M in cap space in '08, so you can have one season (2008) of Jonathan Vilma? If not, then this was a good move for us.

And even if we get nothing for DRob:

If DRob was off the team, and was an available FA, would you sign him up for two years $18M? If not, then this is a good move for us.

For Vilma if it was reverse I would do this deal in a heartbeat. He is going to do very well for them. The whole drob thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We had just got raped by the skins, we traded way too much to move up to get him, and now he's been a bust for us and we are getting jack back. As far as Woodson goes. I if he is still there in the fourth I'd take a flyer on him. Provided there wasn't some guy that fell real far was there.

Archived