why isn't Dick Allen in the HOF?

Blackout

He is one of those guys that you can argue for a long time.

He was a negative as a teammate. Most of his Manager's hated him, as he resisted authority. He was a difficult teammate, especially if you were slumping, were hurt, or didn't agree with his "vision" on the way things should be done. I heard this from Richie Zisk way back when.

On the other hand, he was an all-around threat as a hitter. While he looked like a heavy-set dude, he could run, and was quite aggressive on the basepaths. Would not hesitate to take out anyone in his way, including his 3rd base coach trying to hold him up.

He could hit, with power, and had excellent gap power, as evidenced by his large number of doubles and triples. Think about this: How many guys do you know who hit 20+ HRs in the days when it meant something, also hit for double figures in triples and stole in double figures in bases? Not many, who also had a .300 AVG.

As a hitter - HOF, or close to it. As a person, based on what I remember and have read on him - no way.

However, if stats rule, he should be in.

There are so many players who should be in the hall of fame today but aren't. Trammell and Jack Morris are two guys I think should get in but probably won't. Trammell has the unfortunate nature of playing Shortstop when it wasn't such a power position as it is now (A-Rods, Tejadas, etc) I'm not bitter over it, it's just the way it is.

I don't expect a HOF to be all-inclusive. Some guys had realy good careers, but not great ones.

Better quetsion-Jim Rice. he's superior to Dick Allen in every way, comparable to Duke Snyder,Orlando Cepeda, Billy Williams and Willie Stargell-all HoFers. As a Yankee fan, you feared Rice like you did George Brett. Kinda think Rice and Allen were both not beloved by writers, which is unfair. But between them, Rice is more deserving.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riceji01.shtml

Archived