Kellen throws to TE more than Chad, we drafted a TE in the first round

nico002

He just cannot play the position anymore (if he ever could to begin with).

See, I will GIVE you the first part of that, but the part in quotes is a flat out indication of an anti-Pennington agenda. You know dang-well he could to begin with. His lines in his first two seasons-before his first MAJOR injury were AWESOME. He is an all time leader in comp %. OK, he can't play anymore and we are holding onto a mirage, I'll give you that, but don't say he was NEVER good. That bologna.

See, I will GIVE you the first part of that, but the part in quotes is a flat out indication of an anti-Pennington agenda. You know dang-well he could to begin with. His lines in his first two seasons-before his first MAJOR injury were AWESOME. He is an all time leader in comp %. OK, he can't play anymore and we are holding onto a mirage, I'll give you that, but don't say he was NEVER good. That bologna.

You mean his first "year" and only until Oakland, right? Because after that, he followed up with a 13 TD 12 INT performance, got injured, then came back with a 16 TD 9 INT performance his third year as a starter, then went and got injured again. Yes 2002 he was great, until everyone figured out all he does is dink and dunk. But his best season after that was 16 TD 9 INT, and not even a full season. I just don't understand how that type of performance inspires anyone to think Pennington was "great".

I questioned it plenty last year. So did the rest of the country once we'd fallen to 1-4 at the latest.

That has been my concern too, that's why I was all for drafting a new QB high if we thought they'd be good. We didn't get to decide on Ryan though. Now let's just hope Ryan sucks and Clemens somehow gets lucky. Maybe Clemens can aspire to be Rex Grossman, while we try and find a replacement.

That has been my concern too, that's why I was all for drafting a new QB high if we thought they'd be good. We didn't get to decide on Ryan though. Now let's just hope Ryan sucks and Clemens somehow gets lucky. Maybe Clemens can aspire to be Rex Grossman, while we try and find a replacement.

I would take a superbowl loss this year & not cry too much about it.

You mean his first "year" and only until Oakland, right? Because after that, he followed up with a 13 TD 12 INT performance, got injured, then came back with a 16 TD 9 INT performance his third year as a starter, then went and got injured again. Yes 2002 he was great, until everyone figured out all he does is dink and dunk. But his best season after that was 16 TD 9 INT, and not even a full season. I just don't understand how that type of performance inspires anyone to think Pennington was "great".

I don't think Pennington is great but he's definitely still capable.

I don't think Pennington is great but he's definitely still capable.

You mean capable of being capable. Clemens' dismal first go-round last year notwithstanding (and that's hardly a measuring-stick for an established veteran), Pennington was awful last year. The Jets just don't put points on the board when he's in there (except against the Dolphins).

You mean capable of being capable. Clemens' dismal first go-round last year notwithstanding (and that's hardly a measuring-stick for an established veteran), Pennington was awful last year. The Jets just don't put points on the board when he's in there (except against the Dolphins).

The same goes for Kelly. The only reason he has more ppg than Pennington is b/c the Jets put up 40 points in a meaningless game against a horrific Dolphins team that had no Trent Green, Chris Chambers and Ronnie Brown and a cherry at QB who couldn't buy a 1st down. Our offense was on the field the entire game except with amazing field position.

I could have put up 40 points against the Phins that day and that's the game Jets fans are using to base the greatness of Kellen Clemens on. That and a game against the Steelers that would have ended on a Clemens pick except the defense won it for us and his outstanding 13 point performance against the KC Chiefs.

The excuses for Clemens also apply to Chad for last season.

The same goes for Kelly. The only reason he has more ppg than Pennington is b/c the Jets put up 40 points in a meaningless game against a horrific Dolphins team that had no Trent Green, Chris Chambers and Ronnie Brown and a cherry at QB who couldn't buy a 1st down. Our offense was on the field the entire game except with amazing field position.

I could have put up 40 points against the Phins that day and that's the game Jets fans are using to base the greatness of Kellen Clemens on. That and a game against the Steelers that would have ended on a Clemens pick except the defense won it for us and his outstanding 13 point performance against the KC Chiefs.

The excuses for Clemens also apply to Chad for last season.

Except for one painfully obvious difference. Clemens was in his first year as a starter, and didn't even start until the middle of the season. Pennington had been the starter for several years, and his ceiling has CLEARLY come and gone. Clemens only has room to improve. And I expect him to with all the improvements the team has made this year.

Let me repeat, Pennington's ceiling has come and gone. I love the guy but the Jets will go NOWHERE with him as the QB.

Archived