Can someone explain Compensatory Selections?

MrsTaborJet

It's welfare for teams who either got themselves into cap trouble or who were too cheap to ante up for their own players after their contracts ran out.

If a team loses more unrestricted free agents (that it drafted) than it acquired, they are awarded compensatory picks.

How high the compensatory pick is given is dependent upon how good the FA you lost is deemed to be (either by production or by the size of the contract he's offered; this part is a bit of a grey area & is not clearly defined).

Highest compensatory pick possible is at the end of round 3.

The dumb part about it (other than the stupidity of having this system existing at all), is that it doesn't matter how crappy or how good the FA's you added are. A scrub FA who makes the team and stays on the roster all season will cancel out a pro bowl FA you lost to another team.

Thanks Sperm. I knew I'd get the full explanation from you! This helps, I'm trying really hard to follow all this.

Tell Mrs. Sperm I said you rock and she should listen to you more often. ;)

Oh yeah. I'm sure that will do the trick. "Honey, Mrs. Tabor said you should listen to me more often." That ought to do it.

Archived