Jets sign 2 CB's

Jade Green

Jets sign two corners

By Hoss Aultman

Posted May 20, 2008

The New York Jets have signed free agents CB Jonathan Zenon and CB Kenny Patton.

Zenon (6-0, 176/LSU/Breaux Bridge, LA), who played in 41 games, starting 30 at LSU, finished with 91 tackles and nine interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns. On the road to the 2007 National Championship, he had an 18-yard interception return in the fourth quarter of the SEC Championship game vs. Tennessee to seal a victory for LSU.

Patton, (5-11, 193, Hawai

Jets sign two corners

By Hoss Aultman

Posted May 20, 2008

The New York Jets have signed free agents CB Jonathan Zenon and CB Kenny Patton.

Zenon (6-0, 176/LSU/Breaux Bridge, LA), who played in 41 games, starting 30 at LSU, finished with 91 tackles and nine interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns. On the road to the 2007 National Championship, he had an 18-yard interception return in the fourth quarter of the SEC Championship game vs. Tennessee to seal a victory for LSU.

Patton, (5-11, 193, Hawai

no way those guys are better than barrett or poteat. They'd be lucky to make the roster on special teams.

Barrett??????

I'll bet your better then Barrett.

Can you stand 15 yards off the LOS and watch people catch balls in front of you? If so you are just as good

Barrett??????

Can you stand 15 yards off the LOS and watch people catch balls in front of you? If so you are just as good

haha, yeah i could do that...I think we are overly critical of Barrett, by no means is he 'good' but he is a decent tackler and is a veteran defender. I'd be surprised is some Undrafted rookies could unseat that.

The only reason that would happen is if the FO saw Barrett's price tag as too high, which is very possible.

haha, yeah i could do that...I think we are overly critical of Barrett, by no means is he 'good' but he is a decent tackler and is a veteran defender. I'd be surprised is some Undrafted rookies could unseat that.

The only reason that would happen is if the FO saw Barrett's price tag as too high, which is very possible.

Barrett's also not very fast and not getting any faster. I don't think Barrett contributes much on ST. According to my quickie review on these guys scouting profiles, Patton had at least one blocked kick. Both have run 4.5 or better at some point. Patton broke his collarbone and missed much of his senior year. The Raiders apparently signed him at some point. Zenon was supposedly signed by the Browns, but just spent mini-camp with the Saints. He evidently ran a 4.48 at the combine, but ran again at his pro day and couldn't beat 4.54. Limiting rosters prior to camp opening means more of these guys are bouncing around from team to team.

Obviously, these guys are huge long shots. Probably not even the FO primary choices for the practice squad, but stranger things have happened. Atari Bigby and Abraham Elam are both starting in the NFL and they followed this route.

Barrett's also not very fast and not getting any faster. I don't think Barrett contributes much on ST. According to my quickie review on these guys scouting profiles, Patton had at least one blocked kick. Both have run 4.5 or better at some point. Patton broke his collarbone and missed much of his senior year. The Raiders apparently signed him at some point. Zenon was supposedly signed by the Browns, but just spent mini-camp with the Saints. He evidently ran a 4.48 at the combine, but ran again at his pro day and couldn't beat 4.54. Limiting rosters prior to camp opening means more of these guys are bouncing around from team to team.

Obviously, these guys are huge long shots. Probably not even the FO primary choices for the practice squad, but stranger things have happened. Atari Bigby and Abraham Elam are both starting in the NFL and they followed this route.

Even if Barrett's speed is diminishing he can still cover a zone better than a kid that probably got by on his 'good' not 'great' speed in college. I'd agree on the special teams point, Barrett wouldn't be much of a contributor there, his salary certainly doesn't help his staying power either. If he is going to get cut, or be beat out, it's going to be by lowery, poteat and washington (that was the sixth round pick a few years back right?). I'd be shocked if either of these two rookies even made the roster.

Even if Barrett's speed is diminishing he can still cover a zone better than a kid that probably got by on his 'good' not 'great' speed in college. I'd agree on the special teams point, Barrett wouldn't be much of a contributor there, his salary certainly doesn't help his staying power either. If he is going to get cut, or be beat out, it's going to be by lowery, poteat and washington (that was the sixth round pick a few years back right?). I'd be shocked if either of these two rookies even made the roster.

Agreed. Thing is, if Barrett isn't going to start he doesn't add much to the team. Not used in the nickel much, doesn't give much on specials and costs a lot. I think these two are part of a big crowd basically competing for a practice squad slots. IF they ever play in the NFL it will most likely be in 2009 or 2010.

Barrett??????

:rl::rl: You know what it is about Barrett? He's like the Latrell Sprewell of the NFL. He has the talent to be a hall of famer, but his streakiness is just terrible. There's some games when Barrett will blow you away, the very next week, or sometimes the very next play he looks like a High schooler in the pros...and I dont mean Lebron James High schooler. I mean like the kid you punked for his butter crunch cookies and strawberry milk during lunch high schooler.

Jonathan Zenon

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...thanzenon.html

Strengths:

Good natural athlete...Adequate size and bulk...Great instincts and awareness...A good leaper...Nice hands and ball skills...Has a knack for making big plays...Does a great job in zone...Pretty physical with receivers...A three-year starter in the SEC.

Weaknesses:

Timed speed is just average...Is not very explosive and lacks a burst...Is not very strong...Lacks fluid hips...Struggles in man-to-man situations...Questionable effort in run support...A sub par tackler...Is not a great technician..Limited schematically.

Sounds a little familiar with Lowery except that his lack of mastering a playbook will be his undoing.

Kenny Patton

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=18729

05/03/07 - Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, signed by Raiders: Here's another prospect coming off an injury-plagued senior season, in his case, a broken collarbone. In a game against USC, Patton intercepted a fade pattern intended for Dwayne Jarrett. The memory seems to have stayed with Kiffin. - San Francisco Chronicle

03/29/07 - The biggest surprise od the Hawaii Pro day was Kenny Patton, who missed UH's final eight games because of a broken collarbone. Patton had the highest vertical jump (41 1/2 inches) and ran 40 yards in 4.5 seconds. After the drills, the New Orleans Saints set up a private interview. - Stephen Tsai, Honolulu Advertiser

10/17/06 - CB Kenny Patton, a fifth-year senior, is out four to six weeks with a broken collarbone. A veteran of 24 career starts, Patton injured the collarbone in the first quarter of Hawaii's 68-37 rout of Fresno State.

Comeback player. Camp fodder and compettition depth for Lowery.

Typical signings in preperation for Jet's training camp.

Sounds like maybe we should have invested our second pick on, oh I don't know...... maybe a CORNER! We better hope someone can step it up or clone revis.

I think the need for an offensive play maker was greater then for a corner.

Jets have Revis #1. With the rule changes you don't really need a "shutdown" #2. Miller has all the tools to be a shut down, we will just have to see if the kid has anything.

If Miller or Lowery don't emerge, Poteat is adequate

Sounds like maybe we should have invested our second pick on, oh I don't know...... maybe a CORNER! We better hope someone can step it up or clone revis.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

Then we'd be unstoppable just like Denver.

Archived