It's Official - Jordan Gone

RSJ

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2003565

Updated: Mar. 2, 2005, 10:05 PM ET

Jordan considered top running back on market

By John Clayton, ESPN.com

Already basking in the glow of their trade for Randy Moss, the Oakland Raiders later on Wednesday delivered on their promise to bolster their backfield.

LaMont Jordan, the top free-agent available at running back, agreed in principle Wednesday in a five-year deal worth $27.5 million.

Contract terms will be finalized Thursday.

"We have a deal in principle that he should sign tomorrow morning -- 99.9 percent sure he will be a Raider," Jordan's agent, Alvin Keels, told The Associated Press in an e-mail Wednesday night.

The deal is considered a blockbuster. Jordan will receive about $15.7 million in guarantees over the first three years of the contract, including a $7 million signing bonus. He had an offer of more than $3 million a year to stay with the Jets.

Jordan, 24, backed up Curtis Martin for four seasons in New York but has yearned to be a full-time player. Jordan rushed for 479 yards on 93 carries last season and owns a career average of 4.9 yards per carry. At 5-foot-10 and 230 pounds, he is the big, physical back the Raiders had sought.

The addition of Jordan coincided with the Raiders' release of veteran running back Tyrone Wheatley. Defensive tackle John Parrella also was released.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Damn....I thought I was ready to lose this guy, but this HURTS. I started out as a doubter, but Jordan PROVED himself IMO.

Randy Moss, Porter and Curry at WR.....Jordan at HB....and who at QB? Not Gannon I assume. Mr Ex-Giant I guess.....

Sad day. :cry:

Damn....I thought I was ready to lose this guy, but this HURTS. I started out as a doubter, but Jordan PROVED himself IMO.

Randy Moss, Porter and Curry at WR.....Jordan at HB....and who at QB? Not Gannon I assume. Mr Ex-Giant I guess.....

Sad day. :cry:

What's the O-Line look like out there? If they can open a few holes and pass block even a little bit they're gonna be SCARY.

What's the O-Line look like out there? If they can open a few holes and pass block even a little bit they're gonna be SCARY.

I gotta assume that they will use thier picks on o-line. This draft is very deep. They have a nice building block in Robert Gallery already.

The Raiders are starting to stack up here. Moss and now Jordan.....wow!

I will miss him. He was fun to watch and I was always pleased to see him get the ball for us. It is a good move for him as the prospect of being a backup for 5 years could not have been tempting.

Archived