Sabathia

drago

No threads on this? There is a huge MLB trade and some lowly brewer fan needs to start it? Yikes, you guys are all east coast homers for sure.

Either way, my two cents is that I am torn on this.

The Good:

Allows us to become very dangerous in a 7 game series

Evens out the talent level between us and the Cubs (edge is still to the cubs i think)

Gives us two of the best pitchers in baseball as a one-two punch

The Bad:

Lost a minor league stud. The brewers have done a great job in talent eval's and drafting so giving up one could be a future all pro player.

It's a one year lease, putting the brewers, a 3rd place team, in a win now mode.

I don't trust their offense in a playoff series, it's too reliant on the long ball and with good pitching you need to be able to play som small ball (JMO).

No threads on this? There is a huge MLB trade and some lowly brewer fan needs to start it? Yikes, you guys are all east coast homers for sure.

Either way, my two cents is that I am torn on this.

The Good:

Allows us to become very dangerous in a 7 game series

Evens out the talent level between us and the Cubs (edge is still to the cubs i think)

Gives us two of the best pitchers in baseball as a one-two punch

The Bad:

Lost a minor league stud. The brewers have done a great job in talent eval's and drafting so giving up one could be a future all pro player.

It's a one year lease, putting the brewers, a 3rd place team, in a win now mode.

I don't trust their offense in a playoff series, it's too reliant on the long ball and with good pitching you need to be able to play som small ball (JMO).

The Brew Crew are going for it, and I can't blame them.

They may very well lose Sheets after this season, they are close now, and they feel they can make a run for it.

Sure, they lose Laporta, but their farm system is stocked (I read they had TEN AA All Stars). LaPorta was blocked in his development anyway by established players.

If the Brewers lose Sheets and Sabathia, they will have FOUR first round compensation picks for those players alone to re-tool.

The NL is wide open, and this gives the Brewers a real shot. I would still be concerned about their closing sitauation and bullpen. the give away a lot of games.

Brewers can sniff the playoffs right now, and this makes them closer. A nice gift to their fan base without mortgaging the future.

The Brew Crew are going for it, and I can't blame them.

They may very well lose Sheets after this season, they are close now, and they feel they can make a run for it.

Sure, they lose Laporta, but their farm system is stocked (I read they had TEN AA All Stars). LaPorta was blocked in his development anyway by established players.

If the Brewers lose Sheets and Sabathia, they will have FOUR first round compensation picks for those players alone to re-tool.

The NL is wide open, and this gives the Brewers a real shot. I would still be concerned about their closing sitauation and bullpen. the give away a lot of games.

Brewers can sniff the playoffs right now, and this makes them closer. A nice gift to their fan base without mortgaging the future.

I think it is actually 5 first round picks they'd have if losing both Sabathia and Sheets. I assume you didn't include the pick that every team is granted...anyway, with their past drafts i feel very confident going forward that they can grab another pitch or a position of need.

One thing that is kind of annoying with the brewers, is they always seem to draft guys at established positions (First base last year, then the LFer they gave to Cleveland). There is no room for them on the field but taking BPA has paid off for them and the Packers alike, so who am i to argue?

It's nice they are in contention...i guess its the brewers turn to be the dark horse this quater century. Man, baseball is great!

why would cc want to go there? how are the brewers gonna have money to resign sheets and cc?

and i think there was a thread on this

You really ought to read the posts in a thread before making a comment.

No one, exactly no one in this thread posted that there would be any certainty that Sheets or Sabathia would re-sign with teh Brewers.

But, I will give you a spoiler to this thread, there are incentives for teh Brewers even if they can't keep them.

And teh Brewers are close to a playoff position. It makes A LOT of sense for them. And gives a positive signal to their fans, which will sell tickets.

Figured you might like this, Drago.

Sounds like you gave up a lot, but you got a quite boost to your rotation.

You guys are in 2nd place today.

See you at the end of the month for 4, your house.

Hey, how's CC with a bat in his hand?

actually cc is suppose to really good batting i remember last year for the all star game he was saying he should be hitting and stuff.

I think both teams got a pretty good deal out of this. The Indians knew they probably weren't going to keep him and got an established prospect who is on the way to becoming a star. LaPorta, Hafner, and Martinez in the middle of that lineup is going to be scary for many years to come. The Brewers are going for it now and gave up pretty much what was a spare part anyway. They now have a deadly 1-2 combination that might be the best in baseball right now. Their offense is great, their rotation is pretty stacked, and they even still have chips available to add bullpen help if they need it. And if they don't re-sign both Sabathia and Sheets they'll have 5 of the top 35 draft picks...

You really ought to read the posts in a thread before making a comment.

No one, exactly no one in this thread posted that there would be any certainty that Sheets or Sabathia would re-sign with teh Brewers.

But, I will give you a spoiler to this thread, there are incentives for teh Brewers even if they can't keep them.

And teh Brewers are close to a playoff position. It makes A LOT of sense for them. And gives a positive signal to their fans, which will sell tickets.

so get rid of 4 ppl that can help for the next few years for a player for a half season? imo thats stupid. they are goin to do something else so they can have both of them..trade bill hall?

For you doug, i'd make it work. Let me know when you are coming maybe we can have a cook out at my place and/or in the famous brewer parking lot. Best brats in the country. :)

CC is supposed to be a damn good hitter, everyone seems anxious to see that aspect as well. My main concern is 'small ball'. Ricky Weeks is no lead off man and it scares me to death that Craig Councel seems to be our best option leading off.

so get rid of 4 ppl that can help for the next few years for a player for a half season? imo thats stupid. they are goin to do something else so they can have both of them..trade bill hall?

If the Brewers make the playoffs, is it stupid?

If they win teh WS this year, is it stupid?

They very well may not have Sheets next year, so this may be their best time to try and make a run in a weak League.

LaPorta was blocked in his development. The Brewers are well stocked with others in their system, plus they get 2 compensation picks for Sabathis to re-stock.

Teams that stand pat, get passed these days.

As DaBrick said, good deal for both teams.

I heard the Brewers haven't made the playoffs since 1982. Got to strike while the iron is hot.

exactly. Why wait? this franchise has been walked on for 25 years, it's time to make a move. Not to mention, their attendance has been amongst the leaders in the league, the fans are ready for a winner.

Als I can say is .... sh_t. This should help you guys a bunch, border cousin. As far as giving up the rooks - that kid LaPorta's never taken a swing in the bigs or even AAA from what I saw so there's a ton of maybe in his future.

If Gallardo makes it back for September and can contribute - it's going to be ole time hockey in the NL central.

Als I can say is .... sh_t. This should help you guys a bunch, border cousin. As far as giving up the rooks - that kid LaPorta's never taken a swing in the bigs or even AAA from what I saw so there's a ton of maybe in his future.

If Gallardo makes it back for September and can contribute - it's going to be ole time hockey in the NL central.

I thought gallardo was down for the season? This is the second place i have read that he may be back for september.

Archived