Bruins Owner Jacobs Denies Rumors That Team Is Up For Sale

Lil Bit Special

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/122312

Bruins Owner Jeremy Jacobs said there is "absolutely zero" truth to the rumors that the franchise is for sale, according to Kevin Paul Dupont of the BOSTON GLOBE.

Jacobs said of a potential sale, "That's not happening. Nothing there. ... Zip. I don't think that's happening in my lifetime." Bruins VP Charlie Jacobs, who is the son of the Bruins Owner, said of the team, "I can say with great confidence that it's not on the market. My dad enjoys operating the team and having a say in what happens here, so do I."

Dupont noted a Bruins sale would be "both a complex and pricey purchase," as the package includes the Bruins, TD Banknorth Garden, the "still-undeveloped building parcels, the Celtics' lease, the concessions, and a succulent chunk of NESN."

The "starting price could be $1." Meanwhile, a report Friday indicated that Celtics CEO & Managing Partner Wyc Grousbeck and investors "have been in dialogue" with the NHL Kings about buying a piece of the club from AEG.

Dupont wrote, "If Grousbeck and friends were interested in buying into the NHL, why not buy the Bruins?"

Jeremy Jacobs said of Grousbeck, "Would he buy mine? There's been no discussion on that. No."

Jeremy Jacobs said of the Celtics' ownership group potentially investing in the Kings, "As far as the Bruins are concerned, and in my judgment, I would be more than happy to recommend them to the [NHL]. They've done such a great job with the Celtics. They've done a first-rate job, and we'd like them in the [NHL] as partners. They've shown that they're real team players" (BOSTON GLOBE, 7/13).

Archived