Boston looking to pick up Padres outfielder Giles

faba

Red Sox place waiver claim on Giles, working on deal

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

(Archive)

Updated: August 7, 2008, 1:12 PM ET

The Boston Red Sox have placed a waiver claim on San Diego right fielder Brian Giles, and are negotiating to acquire the 14-year veteran from the Padres.

Giles

Giles, 37, is hitting .296 with a .391 on-base percentage, 61 walks and 44 strikeouts this season.

Boston's interest in Giles might be spurred by concern about the health of third baseman Mike Lowell, who is battling a sore hip, and designated hitter David Ortiz, who has spent time on the disabled list resting a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist.

Giles is earning $9 million this year, and his contract with the Padres has a club option for $9 million for 2009 that would climb to $11 million in the event he is traded.

Giles has a limited no-trade clause, and Boston is among the teams to which he can be traded without his permission.

Joe Bick, his agent, declined to discuss the situation.

Probably they're blocking Tampa, I can't see why the Yankees would look at him, because of them getting Nady.

Technically the only two teams that the Sox are blocking are the Rays and the Angels. Giles has a NTC to the Sox. I don't see it happening. No room for him really.

Technically the only two teams that the Sox are blocking are the Rays and the Angels. Giles has a NTC to the Sox. I don't see it happening. No room for him really.

If they cut Lugo to free up a roster spot, I'm all for it.

I said Lugo was a mistake way back when. If it were up to me O-Cab would still be patrolling SS. Lowrie is giving me reason for hope though.

True - but rumor had it (or was that another FO fueld story?) 'in Boston anyway, that Orlando was.....um.....an alcoholic and cheatin' whore. Guess Theo has a problem with booze hounds. The cheatin' whore part, not so much. One need to go to Game On or Daisy Buchanans to see that.

Archived