The "Two Bretts and a Bust?" Edition of Post of the Week - August 14, 2008

POTW Bot

Welcome to this week's edition of Post of the Week, folks. This week I'm wondering just what the tittle says - do we have two viable Brett's and one bust in Kellen Clemens on this team? I'm hoping the answer is no, but man looked like crap in the first pre-season game. I hope that the living legend that is now the starting QB of the NYJ can teach the kid a little something. Only time will tell, I guess...

Anyhow, on to this week's nominations...

----------

what!!! where the hell was i??????? oh maybe in europe

so then, i am not the only guy whom he irritates? ill tell you what moses is a wierd dude. he is about my age, we both have brasilian wives, we both like the same kind of mnusic. he has good taste musically....and yet we are bitter enemies, or so it seems. in another world, perhaps wed be best buds but alas, angry politics has squashed that notion

oh well. tell me more what is jetcanes role, what did he say link me if possible nothing better than a message board meltdown/fight:grin:

Wow, you guys both liked the same music, and yet still were not able to get along?

This universe is really spinning madly out of control. First global warming, now this?

The Nomination: "Ha Ha." Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note: Global warming and the same music is crazy enough, but did you see that part where he said "Brazilian wives"? How the hell does THAT happen, Scotty?

Dear Brett,

Some say that the universe is a cyclical closed-circuit loop, and that everything comes to wrest as it should, eventually. If that is the case, then your recent coronation as Jet QB V78 (or there abouts) should be viewed as fait accompli, and the Jets should have really drafted you in 1991.

Call me skeptical.

This is not 1991. Nor is it 1998 or even 2002.

This is 2008. A scant 4 months after you told us you were finished. Finished with an illustrious career, with near storybook results. Truly a marvel with feats that may never be seen again in NFL annuals.

And I am left to wonder if you should have closed that book, and began writing a new one. Because, that is where you are today. A brand new book.

Unfortunately, your prior accomplishments mean nothing to me. Sitting here as a New York Jet fan, consecutive game starts, massive yardage, TD records, heroic comebacks do nothing to assuage my want of a winner of a New York Jet football team. And I am not sure that you can bring that to this franchise.

I question your heart, and I question your desire. The recent fiasco only leads me to these conclusions. I realize, this is an unfair stance to take with someone I don't even know.

It may seem unfair that I force you to prove yourself, after everything that you have accomplished in the league. But I am not in the mood for personal victory parades and final laps around the track for the glory of the individual. I am only concerned in team results and the betterment and future of the New York Jet franchise. My hope is that you understand that.

If there truly is a switch in you which is able to quickly go from retiring athlete to the greatest challenge of your career, then I will wholeheartedly stand in admiration. Just call me a little cynical at this juncture.

And this will be a challenge unlike any other that you have faced. The scrutiny and the glare will be blinding. The hamlet of Green Bay gets swallowed in the gulf that is New York. Trivial occurrences become festering back page headlines. And results matter. I hope that you have taken all of that in account.

I wish you the best of luck. Not for yourself, but selfishly for myself and legions of other long suffering Jet fans.

Crack that playbook.

The Nomination: "POTW NOM.

This is what every Jets fan should be thinking. Sure, we're all happy we got Brett, and feel we will be vastly improved, but deep down we should have this feeling.

Well written, thought out. This is why the POTW award was created." Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note: Scotty D has been on my "must read" list for years - the man just never disappoints! This essay puts into words what I immediately felt the evening Favre was signed (Max can vouch for me). Great work - as always.

just dont use words like aboot or eh?

Fancy thing aboot Brett Farve eh?

Nearly made me spit up my round bacon and maple spur

I had to mush my dogs over too my uncles igloo and tell him all aboot it

:cheers:

The Nomination: "POTW NOM- On his 1st day as a member...

Congrats to my friend from America Jr." Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note: Oot and aboot and searching for a donut, ehh? Hey, bring me a pilsner you hoser. Who you call hoser, hoser. Eh, that's not right, eh...strangebrew.jpg

So I don't imagine anyone will see this tonight since everyone is busy masturbating all over eachother over the whole Favre thing. I guess I won't have to worry about it being bumped for a while. Here's a nice little welcome back present for Jetman67. Oh yeah and Bugeater. This will give you an idea of what you have to look forward to. :lol:

JetmanNerd.jpg

The Nomination: "The legendary Jetman67

Positives & Negatives Of Favre

I was awaken at 12:30 am last night with the news that the Jets had acquired Brett Farve. I immediately turned on ESPN to hear more about it and then my brother called. I don't know how I feel about it as there are positives and negatives.

Positives:

- Favre is the all-time NFL passing leader and his coming off one of his best seasons of his career.

- We didn't give up much to get him, just a 4th rounder pick that will be a 3rd round pick if he takes 50% of the snapes this year. If he gets 70% of the snapes and we make the playoffs, it's only a 2nd round pick. And if he gets 80% of the snaps and we make the Super Bowl, it's a 1st rounder but hell, I'll take that deal.

- With all the money spent this off season, this makes us officially a "win-now" team.

- It's definitely an upgrade over Pennington's weak arm and Clemens inexperience.

- Favre's a proven winner, something we haven't had at QB since the Namath days.

- It takes some press away from the Giants who are Super Bowl Champions (which still hurts)

- He's a leader and throw for 28 TDs last year and won 13 of 16 games.

- He makes us a legitimate contender.

- The Jets get a star, a presence, and credibility at the QB position.

- The "Spygate" issues won't affect Favre.

- Favre plays best when the temperature dips below 34 degrees so let's hope winter comes early this year.

- Favre becomes the best QB in Jets history since Pat Ryan and Glenn Foley to wear the #4.

Negatives:

- Favre is 38 years old and will be 39 during the season. That's pretty old if you ask me.

- Favre worked out a ton in the off-season last year. I don't believe he did anything this off season so he could be out of shape.

- This makes Jets management look desperate that their jobs are in jeopardy.

- Favre is not a big-city guy so hopefully he can deal with New York.

- Favre retired once and is not on either of the teams he really wanted to play for - Green Bay or Minnesota. So, will his head be in the game?

- Favre has been playing in a system for many years and now has to learn a new system with the pre-season already kicking off tonight.

- Will this be just a one year decision for Farve and have the whole will he or won't he scenario going on all next year?

- How does this affect the development of Kellen Clemens?

- Was this done to really improve the team or to save Mangini's and Tannenbaum's jobs?

- Was this also done to east the brunt of the Jets officially announcing their PSL plan later this month?

- Will a 39 year old Farve and the Jets be able to beat Tom Brady and the Patriots?

- Is 1 month possible for Farve to get into shape, learn the playbook, and form some chemestry with his offensive line and his receivers?

- Favre still throws a ton of big interceptions and the wind does swirl in the Meadowlands.

- Favre is older than Mangini and Schottenheimer so hopefully he can listen to the youngsters when they design plays for him.

- Favre did look horrible in the NFC Championship game vs. the Giants last year. Will he be just as bad vs the Patriots in a big game?

- He's an old man...he could run out of gas in the 2nd half of the season.

- Isn't it smarter to develop a young QB to lead the team for 10 years as oppossed to renting an old one?

- The Jets don't have any commitment from Favre beyond 2008's season.

- It's been a long time since a Fevre season didn't end without a big interception.

- If he couldn't win the big game the last many years in Green Bay, what makes us think he can win that big game in New York?

- Favre is only 3-2 all-time at Giants stadium with 8 touchdowns.

- Favre is only 1-1 all-time vs. Tom Brady.

- Jets play Seattle (and Mike Holgrem) this year in Week #16 and he knows Favre's game very well.

- Is Favre on the Jets 17 years too late as we just missed him and got stuck with Brownagle back in 92'

- The Jets scoreboard will probably now have "There's Something About Mary" clips.

There are definitely more negatives here than positives. But, it's been over 40 years since the Jets won a Super Bowl. So, the Favre trade may not be the best move in the world but I do like that we are taking a risk. Maybe the risk will pay off and maybe it wont. But, if you just think about our QB position for this year only, Favre gives us a better chance to win than does Pennington and Favre. And if it pays off, the Jets are geniuses and I'll be happy as **** celebrating the first Super Bowl of my life. It should only happen !

The Nomination: "Good analysis" Irish Jet

Editor's Note: Nice post and good writeup on the pluses and minuses of Favre.

He just said they are Wild card locks and will contend for the division and will end the season with a 12-4 record.

Yes that's right 12 WINS 4 LOSSES

Our 4 losses he claims: @SD,@NE,@BUF,@SEA

So apparently we're going 8-0 at home this year. I'll blow myself on an official JN webcam if that happens.

The Nomination: "LOL I can't wait for that one to end up in Borgo's YouTube thread" SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: I'm not so sure I need to see that much of Jetlag, but I'd be happy with the reason for the video...

Last time I glanced at those 2007 standings, the Jets went 4-12. Playoffs? How about .500 season first? So by that logic, since the Jets went 10-6 in 2006, there's no way we could be below ".500" in 2007 even if the starters at 6 positions were downgraded.

Well we just upgraded at 6 positions (QB, FB, LG, RT, NT, OLB) and a 7th if you count either the 2008 Bryan Thomas or Vernon Gholston being an upgrade to the 2007 Bryan Thomas; a prediction I would feel confident making.

The Nomination: "Sperm!" BP

Editor's Note: I love all of the confidence around here these days - I feel like it's 1999 all over again. :bag:

What is the point of blasting the guy on the way out the door? He was a lot of peoples favorite player. Nobody is saying that he should still be here or that he is better than Favre. But people are upset that he is gone.

I for one admire Chad. The way he held his head high through adversity. The way he battled and put the team first. These are all traits that we need more of.

Chad will be missed.

The Nomination: "Great post Max." Irish Jet

Editor's Note: :cheers: - Classy post. Is JN turning wine and cheese from whine and queers?

Okay, first of all I'd like to say that the rain delay screwed me up big time....I had to be somewhere at 9pm, so therefore was not able to catch the last 5 mins of the 1st quarter and the remainder of the game live. I did TIVO it, and will watch it all at somepoint later on today.

Anyway, I jotted down some notes and wanted to share some thoughts, especially for the people who didn't catch the game.

First and foremost, our newest addition, Brett Favre, was on the sidelines during the game, sporting a white Jets hat and t-shirt. He was fist spotted in the tunnel walking towards the field, smiling and joking around with General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. He was also seen at various points, talking to Kellen Clemens, and CBS even showed a 'highlight' of him talking and joking around with Coles - who did not play - at the corner of the endzone prior to the game. Meanwhile, Tannenbaum was interviewed immediately before the game, and told us nothing we didn't already know... Talk didn't really "heat up" until 24 hours before, when the opportunity presented itself, we "went after it, talked to a lot of people a lot of times, and ended up with a smiling Brett Favre in New York."

Anyway, enough with Favre, for now...On to the game.

The Jets received the first kickoff, and to no surprise, the two kick returners the Jets sent out with the 1st unit were Leon and Miller. From what I saw (until the rain delay, each fielded one kickoff and took it back about the same distance (20 yards).

On offense, our unit looked something like this:

QB: Kellen Clemens

RB: Thomas Jones

LT: D'Brickeshaw Ferguson

LG: Alan Faneca

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Damien Woody

TE1: Chris Baker

TE2: Bubba Franks

WR1: Jerricho Cotchery

WR2: Brad Smith

Not too many surprises there, although some may have expected Keller to get the start over Bubba... As for Brad Smith, he is replacing the injured Coles, and is probably the backup #1/2 WR, as I don't picture him being very good in the slot.

As for how they looked....well, I didn't see them pass once on 1st down. Instead, we handed off a bunch to Thomas Jones, who probably averaged about 3-4 yards per carry, from what I saw. No, not too many reps for Leon with the 1st team, although he did make his first appearance on a 3rd and short on the first drive, we lined up Jones in the backfield and split Leon and Stuckey and Smith out to one side and Cotchery on the other. Leon recieved a 3 yard pass and came up just short of a 1st down....We then failed to convert on 4th and short the next play.

However, one huge plus was that Clemens had LOADS and LOADS of time in the pocket for almost every pass he threw. To be fair, Cleveland was only rushing the front 4, but it was still a noticeable upgrade over last year's group.

Okay on to defense...Here was the starting lineup:

DE: Shaun Ellis

NT: Kris Jenkins

DE: Kenyon Coleman

OLB: Bryan Thomas

ILB: Eric Barton

ILB: Brad Kassel

OLB: Calvin Pace

CB: Darelle Revis

CB: Justin Miller

S: Kerry Rhodes

S: Eric Smith

-------

Again, not too many surprises...ILB David Harris didn't play due to injury, and was replaced by Kassel. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as I heard that Bowens was having a great camp thus far and thought maybe he would get rewarded for it.

This revamped defense unfortunately did NOT look at all impressive to me. In fact, I had to check and make sure this wasn't some replay of one of last year's games. Jamal Lewis started things off for the Browns with a 12 yard run right up the gut... Andersen then hit Donte Stallworth on a nice underneath route over the middle for about 6 yards, despite being rather well guarded by Darelle Revis. Then he connects with Stallworth again towards the sideline, as he this time manuevered his way around Justin Miller for a gain of 5. Next, Anderson dropped back for a Play Action, and despite the Jets 7 man rush, nobody came within eons of the QB, and Andersen released a bomb over Edwards' head, who completely burned JMiller(who was flagged for Pass Interference)...

It was then, on 1st and 10 from the 12, that the Jets CS for some reason decides to send out an incredibly odd package that looked something like this:

DE: Vernon Gholston

NT: CJ Mosley

DE: Kenyon Coleman

LB: Calvin Pace

LB: Eric Barton

6 DB's lined up in the endzone.

The pocket opens up for Andersen, who sneeks it for about 10 yards, and give the Browns an easy 1st and goal from the 2. After Jamal Lewis picks up nothing on 2 carries, Anderson does a quick drop and throws behind the well-guarded Braylon Edwards, who makes a miraculous turn-around, one handed grab to put the Browns up a Touchdown.

Yeah, it didn't look pretty.

The offense then ran one more 1st down play (another run to TJones out of a 2 TE Formation that went for about 3 yards) before the game was delayed due to rain/t-storms, thus forcing me to miss the remainder of the game.

Thanks for reading... I'll be back with some more notes and thoughts tomorrow..err... Later on today.

The Nomination: "Nice recap" BP

Editor's Note: Nice work, ggm - this gave me a reason to watch the game Saturday morning. :cheers:

ecurb again is contemplating suicide or becoming a Dolphins fan. oh the drama!

what do you mean? He's already registered on the Phish site as eCarp.

The Nomination: "Awesome." Sperm Edwards

Editor's Note: eCurb already moved to Florida? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=97839164

Nobody on offense got us there in 2004/2006, unless you want to credit the OL in 2004. The whole offense was mediocre. Pennington, Martin, either of them, neither of them.

What got us to the playoffs was having a stingy defense that gave up 16-18 points per game.

I still think it's amazing that people are using the "he's better than Brooks Bollinger" (or whatever other sub-NFL-worthy backup we had) argument. He was mediocre; Brooks Bollinger was - at best - a 3rd string talent. Bollinger being bad doesn't mean Pennington was good. All it means is he wasn't nearly as bad as Bollinger.

Back then he didn't win too many games with that right arm, but he didn't lose too many either. After last year, that was no longer the case: he still wasn't winning games for us with his arm, but he most definitely was losing them.

Offense points-scored ranking / Defensive points-scored ranking:

2004 = #17 / #4

2006 = #18 / #6

So you tell me which unit was more responsible for the Jets winning 10 games those seasons.

Even in 2002, though Pennington had a great season, it was greatly aided by the defense stepping it up. On the season they had a mediocre ranking (#14), but they got clobbered for the first 5 games (over which we were 1-4 with both Testaverde & Pennington) as they were giving up an average of 32.4 ppg. Over that 8-3 finish the defense gave up less than half that (15.8 ppg), which would have been #2 in the NFL if they went the whole season like that. Now having a decent offense that didn't go 3-and-out on almost every possession was a big part of that. But not every team that puts points up has it translate into the defense doing well. If that were true, the Chiefs, Vikings, Saints, etc. would have had good enough defensive performances to get them to the playoffs that year, as they had powerhouse offenses in 2002. Their defenses sucked, so they were watching the playoffs from home.

Pennington "led" the Jets to nothing in 2004/2006. He just didn't screw up as many games as scrub talents like Brooks Bollinger or a 42 year-old Vinny Testaverde, while simultaneously benefitting from a top-4/top-6 defense. Hell, in that 6-2 start to the 2004 season, the Pennington-led offense scored 17 points or less in half of the games (17, 16, 7, 10) and we still won a couple of those. That is hardly a testament to Pennington being so friggin' marvelous.

[url=http://www.jetnation.com/forums/member.php?u=1412]

Editor's Note: Damn solid argument right there...

I saw a clip with Coles laughing and joking during the Browns game so I think part of it is just going through the motions because his friend got cut. Coles will benefit from having less suicide balls to deal with and actually having time to catch and then run with the ball. If he is really upset, then he needs to STFU and play football.

The Nomination: "Amen. If you miss him so much - I'm sure something can be worked out to get you closer to him." NJ

Editor's Note: Coles is fine, he's just a moody, pissed off, chip on his shoulder type of guy. He'll have 1100+ and at least 8 TD's with Favre as the QB this year - write it down now.

Post: Holy **** I Just Met Brett Favre!! I'm more than a Kaysar stalker!! merged [2x]

And You Guys Know Knowing Me I Don't Do Things The Easy Way

You Want The Story?

No thanks. We're good.
The Nomination: "Greatest.

Post.

Ever." Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note: So, what are you trying to say here, Mr. Webmaster? I don't think you are being to the point...

Discuss...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/09/chad-better-than-brett-on-the-long-ball/

“I think every time I’ve faced Chad, I’ve lost,” Favre said. “He’s played extremely well. . . . In Green Bay a couple of years ago, he played outstanding. I have nothing but the highest regard for Chad. [He is an] extremely bright guy. The knock on him was his arm wasn’t that strong. So what? I can throw it through a wall, but I don’t win every game I play in. It doesn’t matter. He’s very effective.”

Per Tim Graham of ESPN.com, the Elias Sports Bureau has crunched the numbers for quarterbacks based on attempts of more than 20 yards over the past four years.

Pennington’s passer rating on such plays? A whopping 107.7. Favre, in contrast, falls nearly four points south of the Kordoza line, at 66.9.

You want to play the numbers game?

How about that Favre holds virtually every NFL passing record. Chad has the highest completion percentage. Understandable since 90% of his throws are dumpoffs.

Favre's Packers have the best winning percentage in the entire NFL since 1992.

Favre has engineered 40 4th QTR comeback victories. How many has Chad had? 4?

Favre has won the NFL MVP 3 times. Chad? Zero.

Favre has won one SB and brought his team to another. Chad? Zero.

And finally, the Packers would have done anything to keep Favre out of their division, even their conference. Were the Jets worried that Chad might go to the Dolphins?

hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha

The Nomination: "Pwned" BP

Editor's Note: Damn, D, give crash back his lunch at least. What that? You ate that, too. Damn...

I went to the Dolphins site to see if I could snag a picture of Chad with a phins hat on or anything even talking about the blockbuster acquisition. Theres not even a headline on their website about it. There are a couple talking about us getting Favre though.

Here is what makes it worse.

The Jets signed Favre and had his Jersey on sale, on line, in hours.

The Dolphins sign Chad and days later in the "New Arrivals" section have a #10 jersey with "Green" on it (yes, Trent Green).

Talk about a franchise that can't get out from under its own stupidity.

BZ

The Nomination: ":rl:" BP

Editor's Note: Maybe the web master is also Trent Green, and Trent at this point really has no idea whether he is coming or going...

Where did the Jets get Cameron Worrell, David Bowens and Jessie Chatman from? Oh yeah a 1-15 team. How bad is a team when they take the scraps from a 1-15 team?

None of those players will be starting on the 08 Jets.

Chad Pennington is going to be your starting QB.

BIG ****ing difference.

Editor's Note: One other difference - Jets fans never mercilessly picked on Bowens, Chatman, or Worrell for their deficiencies like, say, you did with Pennington. Your team does not deserve a class act like Chad...

O.K. it's time for you to stop. Go and look at all of my posts, I've never once said Chad was the worlds best QB or even a great or good QB. I have only posted 1 article on the subject and I didn't offer up my opinion. I also had Chad as my Avator for a whole 6 hours, and that was basically me trying to be funny. Your assumptions are wrong and you don't know what my "current feelings" are.

fail-1.gif

you_fail_004.jpg

1182887529312.gif

4r9p742.gif

You-effen-fail.gif

fail.gif

:Nuts:

The Nomination: "these "failures" cracked the wife and I up POTW nom for the green snake" SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: Hey, I have one of those DVD rewinders, it works great! How's #10's linguine looking, crash?

the things they did after practice kind of show where they are with the team right now

BRETT FAVRE-Signed autographs for the vip's then left

KELLEN-Ran right into the lockerroom

AINGE-Worked with David Ball for a good 20 minutes just running routes throwing passes

Brett Ratliff-Signing autographs for the real fans

ratliff might of been in a good mood because of being moved up on the depth chart

Ainge senses he is the 4th qb

Kellen did not want to talk to anybody

and favre is favre

Very perceptive observations, almost like a scene from a novel.

Good post.

The Nomination: "ahhh......" SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: Little does the new guy know, but this is about as good as it has ever been with 128. Now get back in the bushes...

hahaha thats funny you sure thor hasnt been sneeking in your daughters room late at night

I would never do such a thing.

I could see Jimmy going Honky Tonk Man on my ass.

well one time a couple of years ago, T-99 had a nice picture of himself and that pretty girlfriend in his sig-a different picture and I happened to say (after somebody's snide remark about his looks) that I thought he was a handsome young man at which point he kind of freaked me out by asking me if I wanted to make out...

....so , did you take him up on the offer ? :Loveheart:

I don't like to kiss and tell. But yes.

I thought we had an "understanding" Francis....

I know, but I just couldn't wait to tell the world what a lucky boy I am.

You're a slut Thor

The Nomination: "whoomp there it is-short and right to the point" SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: I bet Thor would just came that SFJ is just jealous because he used him and dumped him. As a matter of fact, Thor says: "vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv" :lol:

It's not easy being insecure.

Wow, with all the great Jets news lately you'd think he'd be going gaga over something else?

:bwahaharoll:

He admits reading this board! blasphemy! hahaha!

:bwahaharoll:

The Nomination: "jn is nothing w/o homophobia" Fo_Block

Editor's Note: Two things: 1. I'd say 8th overall is not bad for a bunch of flunkies and 2. Medium???? :lol:

oi

ui

I cannot type "u" or "o" without "i" following it

anyone heard of this problem before???

its fuiicking pissing me oiiff soi muicih i have toi seperetly erase all the i's foiilloiwing my woiirids

I say leave it alone. It has improved the quality of his posts.

The Nomination: "LOL" BP

Editor's Note: I'd say that Bob thinks the "I's" have it, Blackout™ old chum.

Archived