The "Two Bretts and a Bust?" Edition of Post of the Week - August 14, 2008

POTW Bot

Post: This Is Football. This Is A Business. The Jets Don't "Owe" Anyone Anything.

Look, I'm not exactly ready to crown the Jets as the AFC East Division champions or even anoint them as a top 5 NFL Super Bowl Contender just because Favre is here, but I'm trying to figure out at what point along the way, Chad Pennington was elevated to "god" status amongst some Jets fans?

Don't get me wrong, lost within that extremely long run-on sentence is not displeasure for the Favre trade, just a pessimistic cloud built from years of Jets misery that I'm desperately trying to shake. It was a 'no-brainer' move for the Jets and quite simply, it was a win-win attempt at making this a better team. Even if it fails, and let's hope not, the Jets are out a 4th. I'll take that any day of the week for the chance to make the playoffs, something that based upon the performance of CP and KC in Preseason was most likely not going to happen. Sure at first, I didn't think it was a good move to bring him here because as much as I like Favre, he's simply not the same QB he used to be, just as Joe Montana wasn't the same QB in a Chiefs uniform that he was in a 49ers jersey. Additionally we as an organization have been a revolving door hodge podge of starting QBs since Ken O'Brien threw bombs to Al Toon. However, my doubt, or at least my pessimisim, went out the door when I saw the team's reaction to his presence on the team. One guy's arrival for whatever reason, has a lot of players feeling that they can win right now, and confidence is a big part of the game.

So back to the whole Chad Pennington issue to which I bring before you. You can knock CP for a lot of things, but you can't knock the guy's heart. Sure, he had an accurate arm that everyone wished could have been a little stronger and he routinely choked in the playoffs, but you can't knock the man for never giving his all and coming back from adversity. Truly, character was Chad Pennington's best quality as a New York Jet.

However, being behind center for a full season and taking this team to a Division Title. AFC Championship and/or Super Bowl wasn't one of them, and at the end of the day, that's what matters most in this league. How long were the Jets supposed to carry on with this experiment? It's been 6 years since the infamous 2002 playoff run in which Chad Pennington built a name for himself. Since that time, it's been a virtual orgy of inconsistent carnage from #10 and the NY Jets as a whole, and throughout that time, we still haven't found a way to beat the freaking Patriots outside of a fluke game.

Simply stated, while I appreciate Chad Pennington's time as a NY Jet and his dedication to the team, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, he had his chance here and failed to produce, period. This is a NFL franchise, not a little league team where you have to make sure every player gets at least 3 innings during the game. This is the NFL, where pardon the Glanville-esque pun, stands for "Not For Long" if you can't consistently produce. I think the Jets gave Pennington MORE than enough opportunities to lead this team to playoff victory and it just hasn't happened. There's noting classless about it, it's not a backstabbing move, it's just business. But to hear some of you, it's as if Chad Pennington led this team to 3 Super Bowls, 5 division titles and all of a sudden the Jets just kicked him to the curb. Not even close. Not even remotely close. Chad had 6 seasons and at the end of the day, while valiant in his efforts, didn't get the job done. It wasn't a classless move, it was a practical business move.

There's no "Ifs", "Ands" or "Buts" about it, CP, while valiant in his efforts in dedication, failed to produce and the Jets were right to let him go. He did nothing to warrant a ticket tape parade or some sort of ceremonious send-off that a few of you apparently think he deserves. He was an average to above average QB who led the Jets to some average to above average seasons, and while I'll always appreciate his time as a NY Jet, I'm not going to lost much sleep about it, nor the manner in which he was released.

The Nomination: "Dead On from the GOB" L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

Editor's Note: But aren't you going to miss his towel whirling at least? Even a little bit?

Runner-up of the Week Sponsored by greengal and the amazing technicolor pillows

It pisses me off when fools like that have a massive platform. The guy knows absolutely nothing about football or Favre, but there are millions of people reading this nonsense, possibly thinking he actually has a point:

1) Unless the Packers are full of crap about drafting BPA, they would have taken Brohm anyway. Nobody forced them to draft him. They could have signed a vet to be the backup.

2) After the Packers made it clear he wasn't going to start there, why should he have put the team ahead of his own interests. (If you believe Favre) The Packers told him "Playing here isn't an option." So what's he supposed to do? Stay retired just so the Packers aren't put in an uncomfortable situation?

3) Saying "no one else wanted you" is incorrect, but why worry about facts.

It's nice that he provides, ya know, some data to back this up. It's also nice of him to leave out the fact that Favre has never played with a Hall of Famer on offense, while Montana had one of the best supporting casts in history. And that Montana played pre-salary cap when it was easy to keep a great team together. Not to take anything away from him, but it's insane to say "OMG Favre only won one Super Bowl so he's overrated!" Look at what he was working with for most of the last decade. It wasn't Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman and a ridiculous OL....

A 4-12 team who signed a slew of new players in addition to the 38 year old QB and added Gholston to the defense. And even if he hasn't finished in the top 5 of league's passers, that's using the ridiculous QB rating stat. He's been runner up in the MVP voting twice. Not that that's the be-all-end-all either, but I'd take that as a gauge before I'd use passer rating.

So you've got one bad year when he got off to a good start before every player on the offense got hurt (They used like 7 starting RBs that year, including Rashard freaking Lee), one great year, and one mediocre year. But based on his career as a whole, it's pretty clear which of those seasons was a complete outlier.

And if Kerry Byrne said Chad Pennington is the most underrated QB in the NFL it MUST be true! Great support for the argument there. Never mind that in the last 3 years, Pennington has 29 TD passes and 28 picks. Worse numbers than Favre's, even with that one disaster of a season that isn't likely to be repeated.

And the delay in breaking in a young QB assumes that the QB of the Future is on the roster. The best bet for that would be a guy with 5 TDs and 10 INTs in his career. Yeah it was stupid to go get Brett Favre. :confused:

Now he's not a Top-25 QB of all-time? What the hell? I'd love to see this joker's list.

The NFL's passer rating system is insane. And using Peyton Manning in support of your argument might not be the best idea (I'll get to that in a minute). But as long as we're considering it to be such an important stat, let's look at a few years:

In 1995, Favre was runner up to JIM FREAKING HARBAUGH! Favre's 38 Touchdowns, 13 INTs, 4400 yards, and 63% completion percentage lost out to Harbaugh's 17 Touchdowns, 5 INTs, 2500 yards and 63% completion percentage. Clearly Harbaugh was the more effective passer.

In 1996, Favre was runner up to Steve Young. His 39 TDs and 13 INTs were pretty clearly inferior to Young throwing a whopping 14 Touchdowns and 6 INTs.

In 1997, Favre finished behind Young and Chris Chandler. 35 Touchdowns, 16 Picks and another MVP were no match for 19 TDs and 6 picks, or Chandler's 20 TDs, 7 picks and 2700 yards passing. Chandler was so good that he QB'ed his team to a 7-7 record that year.

And Ben Roethlisberger is pretty clearly the best quarterback in the league. Except that, uh oh, over three years (before last year when he was great) he had 52 TDs and 43 Interceptions, which means his job should have been on the line according to a few paragraphs ago. Last year, Favre finished behind Matt Schaub in that stat. Yup, it's a clear-cut indicator of how good a QB is.

Also, how arrogant is the first sentence in this paragraph? Pehaps our resident genius would like to explain the system without looking it up and then tell us how it was derived. Why are we subtracting 30 points from the completion percentage before multiplying by .05? Why do we subtract 3 yards off YPA? What the hell does it even mean?

Did I miss when a passer-rating title became important? Favre had 16 Touchdowns in the first five games of 1996, more than Young had the entire season. And a better TD/INT ratio to boot. But Young was pretty clearly more effective. That system is stupid. And only stupid people make too much out of it.

Favre's also won more games than anyone in history and has a winning percentage far greater than .526. If you don't think Favre is better than some of his contemporaries, I'd love to hear the argument. I'm sure it's just as air-tight as the one he's making here.

We've resorted to using different sports. Amazing.

Well if 12-10 is medicore, I guess we have to consider Peyton Manning's 7-7 record downright piss-poor, especially considering he's played with multiple hall of famers on offense for almost his entire career (Faulk, James, Harrison). He's 3-7 outside of that Super Bowl year, where he was just brilliant in throwing 3 touchdowns and 7 picks.

If the loss to the Giants was embarrassing, I guess Tom Brady has some mud on his face as well. And this joker better not even think of calling Romo a quality QB. The Giants were better than everyone thought, and Favre wasn't really as bad as everyone said he was in that game. His numbers compared favorably to every other QB that played that day. The difference was that the Giants and Pats had a running game, and the Packers had 28 yards on the ground. That's not going to work in January.

And I'm sick of hearing about Starr's 5 titles. Again, I don't want to take anything away from him, but for two of those titles, he won ONE PLAYOFF GAME each year. For two of those titles, he won two playoff games each year. Not to say he would've lost if they played more games, but you can't compare the championship-deciding format back then to what it is now. More games = more chances to lose. And again, you can't compare the supporting casts. Those Packers teams were hall-of-famer laden.

He wasn't the best in 1996? Credibility? Fluuuuuuuushed. I'd love to hear who was better that year (or in 95, since that year only gets a "maybe"). Does this joker even realize who Favre was throwing to that year? His top receiver went out for the year in Week 8. His next best receiver missed a couple games and played with a cast on his arm the rest of the year. There were games where the Packers started Terry Mickens and Don Beebe at WR. Freeman/Rison/Beebe/Mickens isn't going to make anyone shudder. His left tackle was a journeyman who was plugged in mid-season. And yet Favre had 39 touchdowns and 13 picks. But yeah, he wasn't the best.

I'm not going to deal with trying to compare him to some of the greats from the past, but for every advantage modern players have with the rules, I'm guessing we could come up with a lot of things that hinder the QBs. Faster defenses, I assume more blitzing, etc.

What an absolute joke of an article.

The Nomination: "Awesome post!!" gangreenman

Editor's Note: Wow, this is a fantastic dissection of a stupid article. Welcome to JN, PJF - excellent work!

And this week's winner:

Topic: I am a fan of the NY Jets

Over the past few years we have become a fan base divided. With the explosion of the internet, people have more access to the team than ever. They can express their opinions like never before.

I am a fan of the NY Jets.

Herman Edwards was a polarizing figure. So many things have happened over the past few years that have turned fan against fan.

Chad Pennington has a weak arm. Lamont should get more of Curtis Martin's carries. DeWayne Robertson and Vilma don't belong in the 3-4. The stadium should be in (insert city name here). PSLs aren't bad.

These are some of the things that have divided people. The discussions are good ones. But they are too personal at times. Just because someone thinks Chad Pennington can win here, doesn't make them a bad Jets fan. Just because someone thinks Vilma could do well in the 3-4, doesn't make them less of a fan. We all have our opinions. If someone feels that they PSLs are a good investment, that is their choice. If a season ticket holder gives up their tickets because of PSLs, that is their choice as well.

One day though, this franchise will get it right. One day, the Jets will win the Super Bowl. The question is when that happens, will we be a fan base divided?

What we all want is the same thing. For the Jets to be # 1. That is what we as fans root for.

Our visions of the best way to make that happen are all well and good. They should just never lead us down a road that has Jets fan against Jets fan. Our common enemy is Tom Brady and the Cheating Belichick.

Let us unite, focus our anger and root for the Jets. This is not to say that we have to support them blindly. I just fear a day when the Jets do win it all and instead of everyone being happy, some are sad because "their player" or "their plan" wasn't the winning formula.

We are fans. Most of us have been fans for a very long time. When the Jets do win it all, we should experience a feeling (almost) like no other.

Go Jets!!!

Congratulations go out to the boss again this week as Maxman makes it two weeks in a row. I love his winning post, though, don't you? It's what being a fan, especially in the preseason, is all about. Congrats to Max - wear the badge with pride again this wek:

potw.jpg

Assist of the Week goes to Lil Bit Special for being on the patrol for great posts this week. Thanks for all of the nominations. Lil Bit. :D

That's all I've got for y'all this week, folks - enjoy the game with the Skins this weekend.

gb

And this week's winner:

Topic: I am a fan of the NY Jets

Over the past few years we have become a fan base divided. With the explosion of the internet, people have more access to the team than ever. They can express their opinions like never before.

I am a fan of the NY Jets.

Herman Edwards was a polarizing figure. So many things have happened over the past few years that have turned fan against fan.

Chad Pennington has a weak arm. Lamont should get more of Curtis Martin's carries. DeWayne Robertson and Vilma don't belong in the 3-4. The stadium should be in (insert city name here). PSLs aren't bad.

These are some of the things that have divided people. The discussions are good ones. But they are too personal at times. Just because someone thinks Chad Pennington can win here, doesn't make them a bad Jets fan. Just because someone thinks Vilma could do well in the 3-4, doesn't make them less of a fan. We all have our opinions. If someone feels that they PSLs are a good investment, that is their choice. If a season ticket holder gives up their tickets because of PSLs, that is their choice as well.

One day though, this franchise will get it right. One day, the Jets will win the Super Bowl. The question is when that happens, will we be a fan base divided?

What we all want is the same thing. For the Jets to be # 1. That is what we as fans root for.

Our visions of the best way to make that happen are all well and good. They should just never lead us down a road that has Jets fan against Jets fan. Our common enemy is Tom Brady and the Cheating Belichick.

Let us unite, focus our anger and root for the Jets. This is not to say that we have to support them blindly. I just fear a day when the Jets do win it all and instead of everyone being happy, some are sad because "their player" or "their plan" wasn't the winning formula.

We are fans. Most of us have been fans for a very long time. When the Jets do win it all, we should experience a feeling (almost) like no other.

Go Jets!!!

Congratulations go out to the boss again this week as Maxman makes it two weeks in a row. I love his winning post, though, don't you? It's what being a fan, especially in the preseason, is all about. Congrats to Max - wear the badge with pride again this wek:

potw.jpg

Assist of the Week goes to Lil Bit Special for being on the patrol for great posts this week. Thanks for all of the nominations. Lil Bit. :D

That's all I've got for y'all this week, folks - enjoy the game with the Skins this weekend.

gb

Sperm Edwards, remember when he was considered a good poster? Please.

Thanks Beans. I promise I will fix the POTW process so it takes less time next week. You can stop picking me now. I got the message.

:-P

You been working out boss?

Can I get you a coffee boss?

Nice suit boss!

You're so smart boss!

Nice car boss!

You're so funny boss!

I thought my idea was good, but yours is so much better boss!

Sheesh, this new and improved POTW thing is just not working out!

Nice suit boss!

You're so smart boss!

Nice car boss!

You're so funny boss!

DNA, you'll get your spot back at the - ahem - rear of Max once he fixes the POTW process so it works right. No need for cat-like jealousy, my friend, he's yours and i know it. :box:

Nice suit boss!

You're so smart boss!

Nice car boss!

You're so funny boss!

Don't you have some vacations to plan? I read your posts in the vacation thread and though, this guy is complaining about PSLs? Tell Robin Leach we said hello.

And stop being so jealous. Just take a deep breath and try to not post sucky things. Then maybe you can win the coveted POTW yourself.

:fighting0054:

:love0030:

DNA, you'll get your spot back at the - ahem - rear of Max once he fixes the POTW process so it works right. No need for cat-like jealousy, my friend, he's yours and i know it. :box:

Just bustin' Beans great jonb as always and admittedly not a bad post by the weblord. You apparently have not been behind Max. There is plenty of room for all of us, so there's no need to jockey for position.

And stop being so jealous. Just take a deep breath and try to not post sucky things. Then maybe you can win the coveted POTW yourself.

:fighting0054:

:love0030:

I get paid to make sucky posts, that's what I do best. Back in the day, I won POTW a couple of times, just like Favre won the MVP in the 90's. If Brett and Rocky can recapture the magic, so can I!!

His vote was not counted. Chalk it up to yet ANOTHER hanging Chad.

The only votes that count are the ones that are registered by clicking on this button:

report.gif

Hmmm.. An old dude is South Florida ****s up a vote? Shocker

Thanks for the nomination and the silver medal this week! :cheers:

Tough to get ahead in this world when the boss man is stuffing the ballott box. Nobody has a chance around her but Sperm and Max. What a sham.

-great job beans....Cheater. :cool:

Archived