Jets 3 QB's

Sperm Edwards

A 2nd rounder getting BADLY outplayed by an UFA is a bust. There is no spin for that..

Clemens being a bust and Ratliff are 2 things that have nothing to do with one another.

jury is out on Ratliff, no question.

jury is still out on Clemens, but they've voted 11-1 n their last vote for bust. Look, the fact that we traded for a QB in his 3rd season to start shows he's on the road to bust

I'm not saying Ratliff is great but Clemens is mediocre. I've seen enough to know that.

Re-read the first quote. That's what I'm referring to. I agree the jury is out on Ratliff, but there is no way to say he is "BADLY" outplaying Clemens because prior to the preseason game they said he was having a "nice camp" but there were a few articles indicating he **** the bed when given an expanded role in the early practices. I'm sure there are quotes of Mangini saying Clemens was having a nice camp too. I know damn well I heard it about Pennington and they cut him.

Clemens hasn't shown much, but trading for Brett Favre isn't exactly just replacing the guy with a JAG. Favre's old and the Jets are rolling the dice, but how many teams wouldn't trade their QB for Favre for one season? If the FO thought they were so ****ed at QB for the long haul they might have made a bigger play for a more permanent solution. For instance Matt Ryan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, Favre is the starter. That doesn't even require noting.

The Jets will (barring anything super-unusual) keep 3 QB's on the roster, not counting the practice squad. That leaves 2 roster spots open for Clemens, Ratliff, and Ainge.

After looking pretty good through camp & the first pre-season game, I think the Jets would have some legitimate worries trying to stow Ratliff away on the practice squad again. Good chance someone else will take a flyer on him now. Ainge? Hard to say, but there's also a good chance someone would try and scoop him up as well. Keep in mind these guys make the league minimum. Clemens is ineligible for the practice squad, of course.

If Ratliff truly wins the #2 job, which appears to be a real possibility, do the Jets still try to "stow away" Ainge on the practice squad & leave him open to other teams snagging him away?

Or would the Jets just release Clemens, go with Favre for a year or two, then in 2009/2010 go with Ratliff, Ainge, or someone else they draft in 2009?

If Clemens loses the #2 job, and if Ainge's pinkie is totally healed, there is a chance they simply release him before the season starts (or trade him away for a conditional late pick in the '09 draft). Clemens isn't the #1B quarterback he might have been if Chad was still here, so it's not as impossible as you may think.

So what do you think will be the final move before the season starts? Which 2 make the team, and what happens with the 3rd guy?

I think Ainge will end up IR. I also think this was reason he did not attempt any passes in cleveland. I think the team can say hey he had surgury therefore he did not get enough reps for a rookie and he is still favoring the thumb

I dont think the Favre will play after this year and the 3 left will fight for the starting position next year - they will prob even bring in another vet to compete and then keep best 3 - bottom line one way or another they will keep 4 QB this year because the situation is unique as Favre is year to year

Archived