Mets not planing to pursue C.C.; Yankee offer baffles Melvin

MagicBizkit87

http://zellspinstripeblog.com/2008/11/15/mets-not-planning-to-pursue-sabathia-yankees-offer-baffles-melvin/

There was a report that the Mets were supposedly interested in Sabathia. They pretty much made their move last year in obtaining C.C., so it was interesting to hear. Now the teams source says that they will not be pursuing him. People were already getting ahead of themselves saying that there will be a showdown between the Mets and Yanks, but that isn

http://zellspinstripeblog.com/2008/11/15/mets-not-planning-to-pursue-sabathia-yankees-offer-baffles-melvin/

There was a report that the Mets were supposedly interested in Sabathia. They pretty much made their move last year in obtaining C.C., so it was interesting to hear. Now the teams source says that they will not be pursuing him. People were already getting ahead of themselves saying that there will be a showdown between the Mets and Yanks, but that isn’t the case anymore.

The Brewers manager, Doug Melvin is shocked at what the Yankees have offered C.C. Sabathia. He thinks they are overbidding, because there haven’t been any other offers on the table yet, and they should have made a lower starting bid. The Yankees have confirmed that this offer was made, and the idea is that they will try and “blow away” everyone out of the running so there won’t be a contest.

The Mets aren’t planning to pursue Sabathia- Team source says club’s plan differs from published report

A person familiar with the club’s plans, finances and, in general, fiscal responsibility, said flatly the Mets would not pursue the most attractive pitcher in the 2008 class of free agents.

“It’s a business,” he said. “The Yankees are going after him. We’re not.”

“I’m not sure any club can make that kind of move two years in a row,” the Mets source said.

Yankees’ offer baffles Doug Melvin-Sabathia bid reportedly $40 million

“It sounds like they’re overbidding,” Melvin said. “If the speculation is true that we’ve offered CC $100 million, why would you offer $140 million? Why wouldn’t you offer $110 million?”

The answer to that question, according to reports out of New York, is that the Yankees are trying to “blow away” Sabathia with an offer he can’t refuse. The New York Daily News, citing “industry sources,” reported that the Yankees made an initial bid of $140 million for six years.

Melvin was asked if the Brewers could compete with that figure.

“I don’t want to respond to that,” Melvin said. “It’s up to the player to go where the money is.

“(The Yankees) have been pretty adamant about bidding on everybody. That doesn’t mean that’s what the market is. That’s just one team’s offer. Until all the bids are on the table, I don’t know what the market is.”

Why this shocks Melvin is what's baffling. Santana's contract set the market, so why would Melvin expect anything else for Sabbathia, except that the Brewers would want him back at a bargain rate. If anything the Yankees are being honest abotu things, rather then playing "The Price is Right". They need Sabbathia badly and they know it and probably he knows it too. Why waste time, get to the number, sign the guy.

Why this shocks Melvin is what's baffling. Santana's contract set the market, so why would Melvin expect anything else for Sabbathia, except that the Brewers would want him back at a bargain rate. If anything the Yankees are being honest abotu things, rather then playing "The Price is Right". They need Sabbathia badly and they know it and probably he knows it too. Why waste time, get to the number, sign the guy.

I guess Melvin didn't get the memo that shopping this year isn't at K-Mart.

i dont believe anyone with what they say about a FA and interest or lack of interest.

If the Mets dont even make an offer or talk with CC they are retarded. It doesnt have to be as good as the Yankee offer, but at least dip your toes in the water.

Mets wont even come close to the Yankee offer, so whats the point is their thinking, probably.

Mets wont even come close to the Yankee offer, so whats the point is their thinking, probably.

doesnt matter if they come close or not. There are no guarantees that a player will solely go for the money or to the Yankees.

If you are a GM, you talk to the guy and make an offer. If he chooses another team, fine. At least you tried. You dont give up before even starting just because supposedly another team made a ridiculous offer. I'm fine if they do it in secret and not negotiate in the press. That solves nothing.

Heck, I dont even want him. But I'll be pissed if they dont even make an attempt.

Archived