LSU QB helps save R&B legend Fats Domino from Katrina

R44

ats Domino and his family spent two days with Louisiana State University's quarterback after being rescued from the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina, then moved on.

"I'm not sure where they are headed, but I just feel better knowing that they are okay," an LSU news release quoted quarterback JaMarcus Russell as saying.

The 77-year-old R&B singer and his family are friends with the family of Russell's girlfriend, sports information director Michael Bonnette said.

"It was kind of a friend of a friend thing," Bonnetee said.

Domino apparently was rescued by boat on Monday. After that, Bonnette said, he was brought to the Superdome, where he eventually was put on a bus to an evacuee triage center in LSU's basketball arena.....

More text: http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050902/APS/509021106

http://www.lsusports.net//pics25/640/SB/SBAOAJZGQHSMFCE.20050902184930.jpg

Alright folks, I'm gonna plead ignorance here: What are Fat's most famous songs?

Did he sing Richie Cunningham's favorite song (Happy Days)--"I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill"?

Anyway, nice story....We rarely ever post "off-topic" stories on our Newswire at DD.com. but this one was too good to ignore.

Blue Monday

He's also credited in some circles as having put out the very first rock song ever.

The singer and boogie-woogie pianist, born Antoine Domino, has sold over 110 million records in his nearly five-decade career highlighted by the jukebox staples "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame." The New Orleans music fixture's 1949 recording of "The Fat Man" is considered by some to be the first rock 'n' roll record, and Domino was among the inaugural group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Has anyone heard from Allen Toussaint?

Blue Monday

He's also credited in some circles as having put out the very first rock song ever. They said the name of the song on the radio this morning, but despite being a fan, I hadn't heard it.

I think the first 'rock and roll' song was either Johnny Ace's Rocket 88, and a song by Ike Turner (the title eludes me).

Another band that gets credit for starting rock and roll was The Treniers.

Archived