A Jets Great In Need Of Help

SoFlaJets

I posted another article in the Jets News sticky thread but Boland touches the heart with this one. I thought it deserved it's own thread...SFJ

A Jets great in need of help

Really well done and touching story in yesterday's Star Ledger by Jenny Vrentas on former Jets linebacker Larry Grantham, who has spent much of his life since retiring from football assisting other people, now needing some help.

The story leads with a gentleman named Jesper Jensen, who met Grantham 10 years ago at Freedom House drug, an alcohol treatment center in Glen Gardner. Grantham is a former alchoholic - sober for more than two decades - who has raised, according to the story, $1.3 for the foundation.

Here was part of Vrentas' story:

"The two [Jensen and Grantham] sat on the porch, overlooking the woods of Hunterdon County, while Grantham -- himself a former alcoholic -- recounted to Jensen his emergence from addiction. In a display of trust, Grantham also let Jensen hold his diamond-studded ring from his Super Bowl III championship with the 1968 Jets.

'Oh yeah, I've held that thing in my hand,' said Jensen, 48, who counts Grantham among the people who helped save his life. 'You get the feeling that just about anything is possible.'

But now, as Grantham is at risk of forever losing that ring, the staff of Freedom House is trying to return that message to him. Since discovering last Friday that Grantham's daunting medical bills from chemotherapy to treat throat cancer and recent hernia surgery forced him to put his ring on an online auction site, they have launched a hurried campaign to recover it before the auction ends at 8 p.m. Thursday."

Brian Bassett, over at thejetsblog.com , wrote passionately about this yesterday. Bassett, who himself donated $100, included all the pertinent contact information for those wanting to help.

"I spoke to David Harry at Freedom House who is helping out with this and the best way to help them is to get them a check, but they can take credit cards too," Bassett wrote. "The best thing is to contact Mr. Harry directly for further instructions since I think they

props to JetsBlogger (Brian Bassett over at TheJetsBlog) for stepping up and helping out...we have an owner of a certain Jets site who also is a class act and helps out HIS fellow Jets brothers.

This is a great community and a great site-thanks Max

I posted another article in the Jets News sticky thread but Boland touches the heart with this one. I thought it deserved it's own thread...SFJ

A Jets great in need of help

Really well done and touching story in yesterday's Star Ledger by Jenny Vrentas on former Jets linebacker Larry Grantham, who has spent much of his life since retiring from football assisting other people, now needing some help.

The story leads with a gentleman named Jesper Jensen, who met Grantham 10 years ago at Freedom House drug, an alcohol treatment center in Glen Gardner. Grantham is a former alchoholic - sober for more than two decades - who has raised, according to the story, $1.3 for the foundation.

Here was part of Vrentas' story:

"The two [Jensen and Grantham] sat on the porch, overlooking the woods of Hunterdon County, while Grantham -- himself a former alcoholic -- recounted to Jensen his emergence from addiction. In a display of trust, Grantham also let Jensen hold his diamond-studded ring from his Super Bowl III championship with the 1968 Jets.

'Oh yeah, I've held that thing in my hand,' said Jensen, 48, who counts Grantham among the people who helped save his life. 'You get the feeling that just about anything is possible.'

But now, as Grantham is at risk of forever losing that ring, the staff of Freedom House is trying to return that message to him. Since discovering last Friday that Grantham's daunting medical bills from chemotherapy to treat throat cancer and recent hernia surgery forced him to put his ring on an online auction site, they have launched a hurried campaign to recover it before the auction ends at 8 p.m. Thursday."

Brian Bassett, over at thejetsblog.com , wrote passionately about this yesterday. Bassett, who himself donated $100, included all the pertinent contact information for those wanting to help.

"I spoke to David Harry at Freedom House who is helping out with this and the best way to help them is to get them a check, but they can take credit cards too," Bassett wrote. "The best thing is to contact Mr. Harry directly for further instructions since I think they

I was reading about this on TGG and got very upset over it. A check to Larry Grantham is in the mail. Not much, but I'll be very happy to do it.

Not for nothin', but he has no pension from the NFL? No medical benefits? I'm not sure what the deal is there, but what the frig. Older players get reamed horribly.

Archived