Jets News Thread 2/6

SoFlaJets

Ravens' Lewis Considers Jets Because Of Ryan

Ray Lewis called the possibility of playing for the Jets and former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan a "great opportunity."

Then again, he used the same phrase in describing Dallas - and also referred to his current location, Baltimore, as "my city."

The Ravens linebacker, who is an unrestricted free agent, is in Honolulu for the Pro Bowl this week. When he sat down with the NFL Network yesterday for an interview, he was asked about several scenarios he might pursue as a free agent - including the Jets, who are coached by Ryan, who knows Lewis well.

"That's a great opportunity, reason being, we've been together for years," Lewis said.

Lewis said the two share the same "mentality."

"That relationship by itself is a match because of the relationship me and Rex have always had," said Lewis, 33. "That opportunity by itself looks attractive, seems attractive."

Lewis called playing in the media capital of the world part of the "upside" of New York, along with a Jets team he called a "young" one "that has a lot of talent."

"You try to wiggle No. 52 in that equation somewhere, then that team goes from being OK to 'let's go win this,'" Lewis said. "That scenario by itself is always attractive."

Linebackers Bart Scott and Terrell Suggs also are Ravens free agents and also have expressed their admiration for Ryan. Free agency begins Feb. 27.

In the interview, Lewis was asked about playing in Dallas, home of enigmatic receiver Terrell Owens.

"I could definitely play with T.O.," Lewis said. "I see Dallas as a great opportunity. America's team."

He also expressed his affinity for Baltimore, where he has spent his entire 13-year career.

"There's nothing that I don't love about my city," Lewis said.

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti hinted during his end-of-season news conference that he hoped Lewis would be open to taking a hometown discount to stay in Baltimore. Lewis said yesterday that will not be the case.

"I don't play less, so if you don't play less, you don't take less," he said. "That's just life."

Of course, that means Lewis will command a hefty salary, money the Jets, who are over the salary cap, currently don't have available. Quarterback Brett Favre, should he retire, would give the Jets cash to make at least one big free-agent splash.

In the dog-bites-man news of the day, Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told 1050 ESPN yesterday that his client had yet to make up his mind.

"I know Brett is deer hunting every day," Cook told 1050. "That's all I know. Once he decides what is going on, he'll tell me."

And, presumably, the Jets shortly thereafter.

Notes & quotes: Ryan announced two additions to his coaching staff. Kerry Locklin, formerly the defensive line coach at Fresno State, will fill the same position with the Jets. Ryan also decided to retain Mike Devlin as assistant offensive line/tight ends coach. The team also is expected to name Matt Cavanaugh the new quarterbacks coach in the near future.

TWO COACHES JOIN RYAN'S STAFF

The New York Jets yesterday made several assistant coaching hirings that appear to have closed out the majority of Rex Ryan's staff other than a quality control coach or two.

The Jets hired Kerry Locklin as their new defensive line coach, and they hired Matt Cavanaugh as their quarterbacks coach. The Jets also said they're retaining Mike Devlin as an assistant offensive line/tight ends coach, and they hired John DeFilippo as Cavanaugh's assistant with the quarterbacks.

In an ironic twist, DeFilippo is the son of Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo, who fired Eagles' head coach Jeff Jagodzinski for interviewing for the Jets' head-coaching job last month.

Locklin had left Fresno State two weeks ago to become Kansas' defensive line coach, but now joins the Jets. He spent nine seasons as the defensive line coach at Fresno State. He also has coached at Eastern Michigan (1995-1999), Morehead State (1990-93), Utah (1989) and Western New Mexico (1988) and for Shreveport in the CFL (1994).

Devlin returns for his fourth season with the Jets. Before joining the Jets, Devlin coached in college at Toledo (2004-05) and in the NFL at Arizona (2000-03) after a seven-year playing career with the Bills and Cardinals.

DeFilippo coached quarterbacks for the past two years with the Raiders and previously was a quality control coach with the GiantsNew York Giants .

Brett Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told 1050 ESPN Radio he has no idea which way Favre is leaning regarding his playing status for 2009. It is widely believed Favre will retire, though he hasn't informed anyone of his decision publicly.

"Right now, I know Brett is deer hunting every day," Cook said. "That's all I know. Once he decides what is going on, he'll tell me. We are just going to wait and see what he is going to do."

The Jets want to know what Favre's plans are before the free- agent signing period begins on Feb. 27.

Ravens' linebacker Ray Lewis says he'll contact Jets if Brett Favre returns

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis spoke highly of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan this week during Pro Bowl festivities in Hawaii and showed interest in joining Gang Green. Brett Favre's return will also weigh heavily on the linebacker's interest.

Lewis spoke to the NFL Network yesterday afternoon about his options for the upcoming season. The New York Post provides a transcript, in which Lewis discussed the direction of the Jets:

Lewis hinted that Favre returning would be a factor in swaying him to sign with the Jets since it would have the Jets in a win-now mode. "That scenario you almost have to see where it goes to see what they're doing as an organization," Lewis said. "Then that's when you can jump in and pick up where they're going to leave off. If they're saying we are going to go after Brett, then that's when I am going to make a phone call."

Even if Favre doesn't return Ryan may be enough to lure Lewis:

"[Ryan and I] won a Super Bowl together and the mentality that we both need to sit down and understand each other and understand what's best for our defense and what's best for our team. That relationship by itself is a match, because of the relationship me and Rex have always had. That opportunity by itself looks attractive, seems attractive."

It's possible that Lewis is already considering options outside of Baltimore despite serving as loyal linebacker for 13 seasons. Newsday printed a quote that may show a hint of Lewis' frustration with the Ravens:

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti hinted during his end-of-season news conference that he hoped Lewis would be open to taking a hometown discount to stay in Baltimore. Lewis said yesterday that will not be the case.

"I don't play less, so if you don't play less, you don't take less," he said. "That's just life."

With Ray Lewis hitting the market at the end of the month, is there now added pressure for a response from Favre? What do you think? Comment below.

Linebacker not ruling out Baltimore, but eyeing Cowboys, Jets

Ray Lewis told the NFL Network on Wednesday that he wouldn't give the Ravens a hometown discount in free agency and considered the Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets as attractive options.

A 10-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker, Lewis would become an unrestricted free agent in three weeks if the Ravens don't sign him to a new contract or use the franchise tag on him.

At the end of the season, owner Steve Bisciotti and linebacker Terrell Suggs brought up the possibility that Lewis might take less money to stay.

But Lewis said there would be no discounts.

"I don't play less," Lewis told the NFL Network in Hawaii, where he will play in the Pro Bowl. "If you don't play less, you don't take less. That's just life."

Only a week ago at the Super Bowl, Lewis told The Baltimore Sun that his thoughts heading into free agency were "nobody else's business" and his decision was "between me and God."

Lewis, though, was more candid this week, acknowledging that he would be open to joining the Cowboys and Jets if he didn't re-sign with the Ravens.

When Lewis was asked about the Cowboys' dysfunctional locker room, Lewis explained that the team needed "one general," and it needs to be a player and not a coach.

"I don't see all of that outside stuff that they're talking about what goes on in Dallas," Lewis said. "I see Dallas as a great opportunity. It's always been America's Team. It's just a great place to play football."

Lewis surprisingly said he wouldn't have a problem playing with Dallas wide receiver Terrell Owens.

In 2004 Owens spurned a trade to the Ravens, which caused a feud between him and Lewis. Not only did Owens later mock Lewis' pre-game dance after scoring a touchdown, he also then brought up the murder charge brought against the middle linebacker in 2000 to show he wasn't "the bad guy."

But it seems Lewis has forgiven or forgotten.

"I can definitely play with T.O," Lewis said. "I think T.O. is a great, great person. I just love him. I love his work ethic. I love everything about him. So, playing with T.O. is easy."

Another team that would draw Lewis' interest is the Jets.

Lewis said it's a match because of his relationship with Rex Ryan, his former defensive coordinator who recently became head coach of the Jets.

"That opportunity by itself looks attractive," Lewis said. "That just sounds right. It's like, 'Wow, if something does happen where you're not back in Baltimore, the Jets wouldn't be bad.'"

Lewis said he hasn't talked to Ryan about this because he can't. Under NFL rules, teams can't speak to players under contract with other teams.

Because Lewis' deal doesn't officially expire until the end of the month, conversations with other teams would be tampering.

Lewis said he liked "the upside" with the Jets.

"You go take a young Jets team that has a lot of talent across the board," Lewis said. "You wiggle 52 into that equation, then that team goes from just being OK to 'let's go win this.' That scenario is attractive."

But Lewis never said he has ruled out coming back to the Ravens.

He continued to call Baltimore "my city" and seemed disappointed that the Ravens didn't address his contract situation earlier.

Before this year, the Ravens had never allowed Lewis to enter the final year of a contract. It would mark the first time in Lewis' 13-year career that he would reach free agency.

"The uncomfortable thing about me is that I'm even having this conversation," Lewis said. "With everything I've given to that city, I've always felt that this is one conversation that I would never have and didn't want to have. That scenario in Baltimore

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley has been offered the Kansas City Chiefs' head coaching position, according to reports from FoxSports.com and the Kansas City Star.

The fiery Haley, who played a key role in the Cardinals' first Super Bowl in franchise history, had interviewed for the K.C. position earlier this week, after being the club's presumed favorite for some time.

New Chiefs GM Scott Pioli has previous ties with Haley from the days with the New York Jets (1997-99). Back then, Pioli worked in the Jets' front office, and Haley was an assistant coach under Bill Parcells.

Pioli fired head coach Herm Edwards on Jan. 23, essentially his first significant act since taking over the Chiefs. Before coming to Kansas City, Pioli served as Bill Belichick's right-hand man in New England, overseeing the Patriots' three championship teams (2001, '03, '04).

According to FoxSports.com, Haley was scheduled to arrive in Honolulu for the Pro Bowl on Thursday -- as a guest of Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald -- but pulled out of the trip at the last moment to focus on the Chiefs' opening.

The New York Jets will continue to wait for a response from their veteran quarterback Brett Favre, according to an ESPN report.

While talking with ESPN 1050-AM, Favre's agent James "Bus" Cook explained:

"Right now, I know Brett is deer hunting every day," Cook told 1050. "That's all I know. Once he decides what is going on, he'll tell me."

He later added:

"We are just going to wait and see what he is going to do," Cook said.

Favre's agent was also clear in stating that he has no intent of pressuring his client.

The New York Jets will continue to wait for a response from their veteran quarterback Brett Favre, according to an ESPN report.

While talking with ESPN 1050-AM, Favre's agent James "Bus" Cook explained:

"Right now, I know Brett is deer hunting every day," Cook told 1050. "That's all I know. Once he decides what is going on, he'll tell me."

He later added:

"We are just going to wait and see what he is going to do," Cook said.

Favre's agent was also clear in stating that he has no intent of pressuring his client.

How many deer are you allowed to kill in Mississippi? Does he have some sort of dispansation?

Lewis hinted that Favre returning would be a factor in swaying him to sign with the Jets since it would have the Jets in a win-now mode.

Good.

I can't imagine the Jets being able to afford both of them - and I could do without them both.

Given the Ravens' fortunes this year in getting to the AFC championship game, Lewis ought to know better than anyone that you can still be in win-now mode without a veteran QB at the helm.

"The Jets want to know what Favre's plans are before the free- agent signing period begins on Feb. 27"

so 3 weeks from now we should have an idea of where we're going as a franchise. Will we stay the course with an over-the-hill (prima donna) QB or do we develop one of our younger QB's like an NFL franchise SHOULD do.

As you said SE-look at what Baltimore and Atlanta did last season-I believe we HAVE a starter on our roster right now, a starter NOT named Brett Favre.

(from TJB)

Posted on February 6th, 2009 by Bent

Thanks to the snow here in England, I am stranded at home today, so if any of you have any more mailbag questions, send them to bentdouble@gmail.com and I will strive to answer them throughout the day.

Jerry asks:

Does the three #1 draft choice penalty still apply if Favre gets traded to the NFC North, or was that just for the first year?

Short answer: Yes, it still applies if he is traded, but not if he is cut. For more detail, including what happens if he is traded to another team who then trades him on to an NFC North team, click here to

It also applies if he is traded by the Jets and then traded on to them by another team, but the Jets can ensure this doesn

Dave TN asks:

Are Ratliff, Clowney, Trusnik etc. likely to be serviceable players or are we having a laugh?

Short answer: In all three cases, they have shown decent potential (and there are others that have equally shown signs), but there

Archived