First day on the job.

Jets Babe

If anyone cares about my internship...:D

Saturday night was my first day on the job and I covered a basketball game. My press seats were right behind the hoop. It was really crazy walking past players and talking to them. I was only assigned to ask questions at the press conference. One of my questions was featured in the Orlando Sentinel.

You can listen to that audio tape here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2009/02/listen-to-postgame-interviews-following-the-knights-7472-win-over-tulsa-at-ucf-arena.html

Click "download rompzaandtaylor" if you want to listen. My lone question is about 3/4 of the way in. I asked how the star player's ankle felt - lol.

Also, game winning shot at the buzzer happened. I was right behind the hoop when it happened. The crowd went crazy. Watch it:

Yes, they do...and they're pretty solid. Stop hating. Also, if you know anything about college basketball...Jermaine Taylor is ranked 2nd in the nation in PPG game (40 minutes adjusted).

Right, and a couple years ago, the top scorer in NCAA basketball went to some MAAC school, like Niagara. He didn't even get a look from the NBA. It's way too easy to score against the low-level competition in a bad conference.

C-USA is a BAD conference in basketball. Memphis is the only good team, and it's laughable how they run roughshod over the competition.

Right, and a couple years ago, the top scorer in NCAA basketball went to some MAAC school, like Niagara. He didn't even get a look from the NBA. It's way too easy to score against the low-level competition in a bad conference.

C-USA is a BAD conference in basketball. Memphis is the only good team, and it's laughable how they run roughshod over the competition.

Right, but those of us in the KNOW (that's me, not you) actually talk to NBA scouts. There were actually a lot at that game. Spoke to some Lakers scouts, they said he's a 1st rounder. We shall see.

Charron Fisher..he is playing in Europe

BTW Siena RPI in MAAC is 30 and they beat Vanderbilt in dance last year

remember what Conf Nova plays football

Lower Conferences can have good players..Flacco was at Delaware

and Hightower at Richmond

So?

Did they beat UConn? Or an actual dominant SEC team like Kentucky or Florida?

So?

Did they beat UConn? Or an actual dominant SEC team like Kentucky or Florida?

your point?????????

There are good players in lower tier conferences....you get kids recruited by

top tier conferences that transfer do to lack of playing time. Also get

kids who want to start and avoid top tier schools

I know that flew over your head

your point?????????

I know that flew over your head

I am just saying trumpeting a win over Vandy is a tad ridiculous.

Right, but those of us in the KNOW (that's me, not you) actually talk to NBA scouts. There were actually a lot at that game. Spoke to some Lakers scouts, they said he's a 1st rounder. We shall see.

1) If he's not a lottery pick, he's crap.

2) He'll suck in the NBA.

3) Alan Ray was a "1st Rounder" too...

Thanks. I knew I wasn't that far off.

Yeah, that was a horribly-overrated Vandy... I remember that vividly because the next team Siena played was Villanova. Easiest second-round win ever.

CAA. It's a GREAT FCS conference, but it's an FCS conference. The only reason there are NFL players coming out of the CAA is because there is a penalty to transfer UP to FBS, and a lot of players in CAA are very "raw" coming out of high school.

Flacco was overrated, still is. He transferred to UDel because he didn't want to compete for a starting role at Pitt, and he also didn't want to sit out a year.

At least in basketball, I'm not so sure. The players who have transferred out of 'Nova, for example, are guys who just couldn't cut it. The one decent player we lost to a transfer ended up at an ACC school (Malcolm Grant to Miami... watch out for him next year, folks).

The rest though?

Casiem Drummond (I think to Marist): a no-offense/mediocre defensive center. 6'10... so he's tall, but not Thabeet tall...

Bilal Benn (to Niagara): no offense, averaged less than 2 ppg. His best feature was that he was a 6'5" guard on an small team.

Andy Ott (to Penn State): a 6'11" center who played guard for two or three years in HS before his growth spurt. He was too skinny, unathletic, and didn't have the instincts to play inside.

Thanks. I knew I wasn't that far off.

Yeah, that was a horribly-overrated Vandy... I remember that vividly because the next team Siena played was Villanova. Easiest second-round win ever.

CAA. It's a GREAT FCS conference, but it's an FCS conference. The only reason there are NFL players coming out of the CAA is because there is a penalty to transfer UP to FBS, and a lot of players in CAA are very "raw" coming out of high school.

Flacco was overrated, still is. He transferred to UDel because he didn't want to compete for a starting role at Pitt, and he also didn't want to sit out a year.

come on man...this statement makes u look silly

BTW nova struggled with niagara this year

and this siena team is better than last years

come on man...this statement makes u look silly

Why? Because he won a few games with a dominant defense, a good O-line and a really good running game? C'mon. Flacco isn't as good as his billing.

BTW nova struggled with niagara this year

A 15 point win is hardly 'struggling'. Keep in mind that this was also a game where two walk-on players and the last guy on the bench all saw noticeable time on the court. It was also a game where a current starter (Anderson) was out with a foot injury.

and this siena team is better than last years

If Villanova was matched up with Siena in the tournament, we will still beat them.

Why? Because he won a few games with a dominant defense, a good O-line and a really good running game? C'mon. Flacco isn't as good as his billing.

A 15 point win is hardly 'struggling'. Keep in mind that this was also a game where two walk-on players and the last guy on the bench all saw noticeable time on the court. It was also a game where a current starter (Anderson) was out with a foot injury.

If Villanova was matched up with Siena in the tournament, we will still beat them.

i watched the game it was a 2 pt game i believe at halftime, get got away

from NU in last 5 minutes

FCS in football is a lower tier conference..there are no 3 stars or 4 stars

coming out of school to play in FCS

national champ Richmond got 15 recruits and 5 of them were 2 star

everyone else was 1 star

Novs 6 recruits 1 2 star

It is a lower tier Conf..you cannot spin that

Jermaine Taylor sucks.....that's why he's on the front page of Rivals.com.

"You may not know who Jermaine Taylor is, but you should. The UCF senior has played out of the national spotlight his entire career. Along the way he's become one of the nation's top scorers."

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=913438

:rolleyes:

Sure sure. Everyone gets press in a slow news week...

If anyone cares about my internship...:D

Saturday night was my first day on the job and I covered a basketball game. My press seats were right behind the hoop. It was really crazy walking past players and talking to them. I was only assigned to ask questions at the press conference. One of my questions was featured in the Orlando Sentinel.

You can listen to that audio tape here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2009/02/listen-to-postgame-interviews-following-the-knights-7472-win-over-tulsa-at-ucf-arena.html

Click "download rompzaandtaylor" if you want to listen. My lone question is about 3/4 of the way in. I asked how the star player's ankle felt - lol.

Also, game winning shot at the buzzer happened. I was right behind the hoop when it happened. The crowd went crazy. Watch it:

congrats knucklehead :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived