Brett Favre: I'll stay retired, even if I get the urge to return

SoFlaJets

Brett Favre still says he is retired and that his career is over.

However, come July and August, Favre admits he will undoubtedly get the urge to play again. This time, though, Favre says he will not return to play out of respect for the Jets and GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"I foresee getting the impulse to play," Favre told Sports Illustrated's Peter King. "But as good as Mike Tannenbaum has been to me, I could never bring myself to do it. I know I won't do it. If I did, I'd be putting the Jets in a tough spot, because I know they can't release me."

Favre said last week he wouldn't ask for his release. But if Favre wanted to return this summer, he would force the Jets, who already owe the Packers a third-round pick in this year's draft for the Favre deal, into an uncomfortable position. The Jets would be like Green Bay last year and have to either bring Favre back at a salary cap figure of $13 million, or try to block Favre's release or find a trading partner. Minnesota is pretty much the ideal situation for Favre, but a trade to the Vikings would cost the Jets a first-round pick due to a clause in the Favre trade with the Packers last year. But Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said he's not interested in Favre.

The Jets, who declined comment, have said that they are taking Favre at his word that he is retired. Meanwhile, Tannenbaum is searching for Favre's replacement.

Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff are the in-house candidates. Other options include free agents Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich and Kyle Boller, who has played under new quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh in Baltimore, where new coach Rex Ryan was the defensive coordinator. Garcia, who will turn 39 three days before free agency begins on Feb. 27, said he has been told by the Buccaneers that he will not be re-signed after they inked Luke McCown to a two-year, $7.5 million deal last week.

"My time in Tampa has come to an end," Garcia told the St. Petersburg Times. "I do feel like I have football life in me. I'm not sure what my role will be with another team. I'm not looking at it like I need to start and be the man. ... Hopefully, I'll have some opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be something out there for me."

Archived