Roid ERA is good for baseball.

PFSIKH

Ok my premise is a tad out there.

Baseball is about the numbers. More so then any other sport.

61 and 755 were universally known numbers. They meant something. Now that the Roid era has tainted them. Will baseball players be largely ignored when they pop hot for something? NFL and NBA players are busted more, but the news rarely lasts long.

Could this be good for MLB? Could it make baseball about teams like the NFL?

The death of these long held numbers could push baseball back to being about the game and not a person and his numbers.

Some food for thought.

61 and 755 were universally known numbers. They meant something. Now that the Roid era has tainted them. Will baseball players be largely ignored when they pop hot for something? NFL and NBA players are busted more, but the news rarely lasts long.

The death of these long held numbers could push baseball back to being about the game and not a person and his numbers.

Some food for thought.

Hmmm. Baseball historically has always been about these individual accomplishments though. It's changing the fabric of the game and I don't know if it helps to just forget about that things. Plus, football is 16 weeks, every week is a different storyline. Monday-Wed is usually recapping the week prior and thurs-sun is the upcoming game.

Baseball is every day, day in, day out. #'s and individual players add to these story lines. Quite frankly I think the thing that could really help baseball is if anyone this year can go for that hit streak. It's not a sexy record, it's not "impressive" like bombs being launched into the summer night. But it's day in and day out. JMO.

Some food for thought.

Um, no.

Thanks for your post though.

I don't see how "61" and "755" are tainted. I don't remember seeing Maris or Aaron on the Mitchell Report.

The real question is will these number ever be topped again? If anything, the steroid era has restored those two numbers.

Poor wording.

I agree those numbers mean something again, but unless baseball does something they are not the records.

Hmmm. Baseball historically has always been about these individual accomplishments though. It's changing the fabric of the game and I don't know if it helps to just forget about that things. Plus, football is 16 weeks, every week is a different storyline. Monday-Wed is usually recapping the week prior and thurs-sun is the upcoming game.

Baseball is every day, day in, day out. #'s and individual players add to these story lines. Quite frankly I think the thing that could really help baseball is if anyone this year can go for that hit streak. It's not a sexy record, it's not "impressive" like bombs being launched into the summer night. But it's day in and day out. JMO.

Good points.

They do add to the drudgery of the season.

artificially inflated records are not good for any sport

Yes, very true.

The teflon NFL has seen more roid issues and personal issues, but with very little rippling. I do not believe anyone would decry Merriman for getting the sack record if he was to get it even though he used HGH.

Yet, Bonds and A-Rod are getting crushed daily for their 'alleged' use.

Wouldn't MLB burn to the ground if they had Spygate or the Steelers well known roid usage during their ERA? Players have been banned for life, but the NFL has done little more then suspending.

Its been about numbers, but not cheating to get those numbers.

It has been, but the cat is out of the bag.

How are they going to address this? If they strike the numbers from the book, then there is a solution, but what are the chances that happens? Slim.

The top 6 are tainted. 9 of the top 15.

Baseball needs to address this some how.

It has been, but the cat is out of the bag.

How are they going to address this? If they strike the numbers from the book, then there is a solution, but what are the chances that happens? Slim.

The top 6 are tainted. 9 of the top 15.

Baseball needs to address this some how.

I'm not sure what MLB will do about the steroid fueled numbers of this era, but I, for one, believe that the true standards of home run excellence are 61 and 755. Maybe MLB will simply put an asterisk next to the numbers compiled by known steroid/HGH users.

I wonder what the writers will do when it comes to voting on Bonds and ARod when it comes to the Hall of Fame? Can anyone seriously look at both of these guys and say that they are not worthy of being inducted?

Archived