State of the Franchise

stoicsentry

I was more excited last season because let's face it: the odds of us winning a championship this year are far less. Still there are 3 reasons why I'm excited about the overall, long-term direction of this franchise.

3 Reasons to be pumped

1) Team building strategy. With a few exceptions (most notably VG), the Jets have been drafting well in recent years. We have some decent young talent on offense (Mangold, D'Brick, Washington, Keller, Cotch) and excellent young talent on defense (Harris, Revis, Rhodes). The team has done a great job of complimenting young, homegrown players with veteran free agent pickups (Jones, Jenkins, Pace, Faneca, Woody, Richardson, Lito, Scott). With the exception of the new guys who have yet to show what they've got, ZERO of the recent major free agent pickups have failed.

2) A great O-line with continuity as a bonus. We have one of the better O-lines in the game and the good news is that the same exact squad is returning this year. We're lucky in that we probably have at least a couple years left to find replacements for the oldest guys (Faneca, Woody) and Mangold and D'Brick may be here for a decade or longer.

3) No glaring holes on defense. This is the first time I remember the Jets have a defense with no serious liabilities on the field. Every starter on the field is at worst average. We do not need to draft a single defensive player to plug in at starter. We still have an opportunity in this draft to upgrade DE, so we might have a defensive rookie but the point is its not necessary - and that's a great thing. Any defensive picks we make in this draft can instead be used for depth at DT, DE and DB.

I am definetely excited for this year, although I feel like that every offseason. I think they should have a fun to watch and upbeat defense. If we can get a solid receiver via draft or FA, I think our offense can perform well enough to at least keep us in contention for a wild card spot. At the very least if we lose alot of games this year we should get to see some people getting knocked around by an attacking D.

i feel so far anyway that we dont really have to worry about the D. in the past i always worried that our offense needed to score enough points to keep us in the game. Now i feel that the defense is better then any weve had in a while and its just a matter of winning 10-7, 7-3 games. Were gonna pound it with TJ then send Leon in there to do what he does. SUre we dont know who our QB is but im not worried about that at this point.

I am very much looking forward to the new season. i agree The D is the best I've ever know it to be. a back-up DE and maybe one more backup CB and we are good to go. Smith as the 3rd safety is nice because he's hard hitting but would like to keep Elam as well, so let''s hope the jets match the browns offer. VG is gonna have to fill the hole that Bowens left. let's just just hope he's up to doing his job.

I still hope Brett wins the QB job and we HAVE!!!! to drath a WR early , maybe 2 of them

I was more excited last season because let's face it: the odds of us winning a championship this year are far less. Still there are 3 reasons why I'm excited about the overall, long-term direction of this franchise.

3 Reasons to be pumped

1) Team building strategy. With a few exceptions (most notably VG), the Jets have been drafting well in recent years. We have some decent young talent on offense (Mangold, D'Brick, Washington, Keller, Cotch) and excellent young talent on defense (Harris, Revis, Rhodes). The team has done a great job of complimenting young, homegrown players with veteran free agent pickups (Jones, Jenkins, Pace, Faneca, Woody, Richardson, Lito, Scott). With the exception of the new guys who have yet to show what they've got, ZERO of the recent major free agent pickups have failed.

2) A great O-line with continuity as a bonus. We have one of the better O-lines in the game and the good news is that the same exact squad is returning this year. We're lucky in that we probably have at least a couple years left to find replacements for the oldest guys (Faneca, Woody) and Mangold and D'Brick may be here for a decade or longer.

3) No glaring holes on defense. This is the first time I remember the Jets have a defense with no serious liabilities on the field. Every starter on the field is at worst average. We do not need to draft a single defensive player to plug in at starter. We still have an opportunity in this draft to upgrade DE, so we might have a defensive rookie but the point is its not necessary - and that's a great thing. Any defensive picks we make in this draft can instead be used for depth at DT, DE and DB.

I honestly think that our DE problem is that Vernon Gholston isnt at DE. Let this man rush the edge. I think his problem is that he's not used to the coverage scheme. Let him run at the QB. If so then all we need is to draft a WR in the 1st NT in the 2nd CB in the 3rd and a LB in the 4th.

Archived