OT: Virgin Atlantic Global Flier

Alk

For any of you that might be interested in airplanes and stuff like that. This guy is getting ready to make an attempt at becoming the first person to make a nonstop flight around the world. The flight is taking off out of Salina, KS which is the town that I happen to work in. It's a pretty big deal around town, supposedly the guy could possibly break like 7 records with this one flight. The airplane itself looks pretty cool.

http://www.globalflier.com/

its not the spruce goose, but i guess its ok

whats the big deal about flying around the world non stop? why cant you take any old 747, remove the seats and just carry enough fuel. i dont get it

Got me. Maybe a 747 couldn't carry enough fuel to get it around the world? There must be some reason. According to the update, they're going to try to take off on monday. Looks like I'll miss the takeoff though.

Well, the plane finally got off the ground today. I didn't think I was going to be able to see it but I just happened to be getting off work just as they were getting ready to take off. Being from a small town, I've never seen anything like it. They said there were an estimated 34,000 people here just to see this thing take off. John Travolta was even here. The plane is supposed to be back after it's trip around the world sometime thursday.

its not the spruce goose, but i guess its ok

whats the big deal about flying around the world non stop? why cant you take any old 747, remove the seats and just carry enough fuel. i dont get it

I think it's because it's the first solo-manned flight around the world. I was reading an article about it earlier today and they said the only two planes to pull it off were a two-manned plane which had to make several stops and a B-52.

Very interesting stuff. As far as space is concerned, I'm starting to believe more and more that space travel is going to accelerate in the next 50 years thanks to private and commercial entrepreneurships rather than developments at NASA. Guys like Richard Branson are trying to make big strides in Space Tourism.

Virgin Galactic looks even better..

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Anyone see Rebel Billionaire? Richard Branson is a nut.

Virgin Galactic is absolutely insane. Any whacked-out jackass that pays $200,000 to break the stratosphere for a couple of minutes and then ptay to sweet Jesus that the plane holds up on descent is out of their minds. I think that it will work, and that Branson will make money off of it, but it's still a wacky idea, IMO.

Virgin Galactic is absolutely insane. Any whacked-out jackass that pays $200,000 to break the stratosphere for a couple of minutes and then ptay to sweet Jesus that the plane holds up on descent is out of their minds. I think that it will work, and that Branson will make money off of it, but it's still a wacky idea, IMO.

Agreed. But could you imagine having THAT much money that you could start a little side project like that?

I'd be willing to bet he'll be one of the first wacko's up in the stratosphere..the guy is a crazy Mo Fo!

Well, it's looking like he might not make it. Something happened and they're 2600 lbs. short on fuel. They can't decided if they miscalculated or something happened with the plane to lose the fuel. From the sounds of it, the only way he can make it is if he has some pretty decent tailwinds to carry him through. They told him to slow down a little to conserve fuel and when he hits Hawaii, they'll decide whether to carry on or not.

Well, it's looking like he might not make it. Something happened and they're 2600 lbs. short on fuel. They can't decided if they miscalculated or something happened with the plane to lose the fuel. From the sounds of it, the only way he can make it is if he has some pretty decent tailwinds to carry him through. They told him to slow down a little to conserve fuel and when he hits Hawaii, they'll decide whether to carry on or not.

Children are starving, Alk can't get a good haircut, and Richard Branson just pissed away a few billions on a failed mission to get a record that nobody cares about. Where's the JUSTICE!!????

Well I know TomShane says it's a record that nobody cares about but I'm sure at least one of you does in fact care. Anyway, he touched back down in Salina, KS at about 1:30 today to become the first man to fly non stop around the world. The rebel millionaire or whoever the hell he is was there and so was Paris Hilton's dad. Supposedly there were a ton of other celebrities there to see the landing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7075972/

Were there whores waiting for him too?

All I would want waiting for me after flying for three days and only eating diet milkshakes is a double bacon cheeseburger with onion rings as an appetizer then a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes for the main course with a six pack of ice cold mgd to wash it all down. Okay, I just managed to make myself hungry now.

All I would want waiting for me after flying for three days and only eating diet milkshakes is a double bacon cheeseburger with onion rings as an appetizer then a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes for the main course with a six pack of ice cold mgd to wash it all down. Okay, I just managed to make myself hungry now.

Who the hell drinks mgd?

Nasty. That Sh#t is like the Piel's of the midwest.

Well I know it doesn't hold a candle to your Natty Light but you have to understand. I'm just poor white trash from Kansas. This sh*t is like champagne to me.

Well I know TomShane says it's a record that nobody cares about but I'm sure at least one of you does in fact care. Anyway, he touched back down in Salina, KS at about 1:30 today to become the first man to fly non stop around the world. The rebel millionaire or whoever the hell he is was there and so was Paris Hilton's dad. Supposedly there were a ton of other celebrities there to see the landing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7075972/

I hope he didn't flush his toilet as he flew over your house.

Archived