what would be the best pickup for the Red Sox?

Blackout

Here's a serious reply.

None of the above. Gonzalez plays a position that we're set at and have a lot of money tied into, even if Youk went to 3B you'd still have to do something with Lowell and they just traded for LaRoche. Doesn't make sense to trade the farm for this guy.

Halladay is a stud ace. He is also on the wrong side of 30 and has never pitched in the playoffs. He also would have to be acquired with a ridiculous amount of prospects, of which I would not give up. Doesn't make sense.

The Sox have money tied into positions of age and declining ability. The pitching staff make up is pretty solid. It's the position players that need to be addressed now and into the future.

Oh and Magic - I'll take Lester/Beckett and whomever in the playoffs over CC/Burnett and whomever in the playoffs. Hands down.

The bottom of the rotation is not strong right now, for sure. They miss Wakes and his inning eating ability and his ability to pitch well while doing it. Buchholz will come around. Penny has been worth the money. Smoltz, who knows. He's got a good K/BB ratio and looks pretty good at times. He's only a few starts into this season after being out for how long? His rope is getting shorter and when Wakes is healthy he might be sent to the pen. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Smoltz yet. Get back to me after his next start.

Here's a serious reply.

None of the above. Gonzalez plays a position that we're set at and have a lot of money tied into, even if Youk went to 3B you'd still have to do something with Lowell and they just traded for LaRoche. Doesn't make sense to trade the farm for this guy.

Halladay is a stud ace. He is also on the wrong side of 30 and has never pitched in the playoffs. He also would have to be acquired with a ridiculous amount of prospects, of which I would not give up. Doesn't make sense.

The Sox have money tied into positions of age and declining ability. The pitching staff make up is pretty solid. It's the position players that need to be addressed now and into the future.

Oh and Magic - I'll take Lester/Beckett and whomever in the playoffs over CC/Burnett and whomever in the playoffs. Hands down.

The bottom of the rotation is not strong right now, for sure. They miss Wakes and his inning eating ability and his ability to pitch well while doing it. Buchholz will come around. Penny has been worth the money. Smoltz, who knows. He's got a good K/BB ratio and looks pretty good at times. He's only a few starts into this season after being out for how long? His rope is getting shorter and when Wakes is healthy he might be sent to the pen. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Smoltz yet. Get back to me after his next start.

I agree that the Sox should not trade for Gonzalez or Halladay. Both the Padres and Jays are going to want a king's ransom for them.

I would be worried about your starting staff after Beckett and Lester. I'm not sure how any Red Sox fan can feel confident about pitching Penny, Smoltz, or Buchholz in a big spot. The Sox should go after a 3/4 type starter, just to bolster the staff.

Probably more steroids with Ortiz taking a 50 game vacation.

He won't be suspended for testing positive in 2003 since they were suppose to be anonymous and there wasn't any punishment for the crim of doing PEDs back then. Same as A-Rod who wasn't suspended either.

Archived