Digital Cameras

AFJF

I have a Kodack 763 that fits all my needs. Lightweight and compact so it's real easy to carry when I'm climbing. It's got a rechargeable battery several modes including a video option. I can quickly take a picture then zoom it in and crop it . It was under $100 on sale so it fit the budget. I've had it a year and a half and I'm quite happy with it. Good luck.

I am the same way... enjoy it.

I should get a lot of work out of it as soon as I get out of Baghdad. Five countries in 10 weeks before I head off to Korea for a year.

Thanks guys but I just bought one...

I can be somewhat impulsive at times

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B0012YA85A

canon-rebel-xsi-122-mp-front-angle-300x261.jpg

Good choice, canon is the way to go when it comes to dslr. They just came out with a newer version of this camera, the T1i, which has a movie mode and and a few more megapixels. I have heard from a few people that the picture quality is not as good though.

One question though, did you look at the 50D? It is more money, but it is the entry level into their pro line. Normally I wouldn't suggest that to someone off the bat, as the glass i feel is the most important place to spend your cash when starting out, but in your case it sounds like you are going to be covering a lot of rough terrain, and starting with the 50d the build quality and ruggedness is markedly increased. Not saying you need to spend that kind of dough, just giving you some food for thought.

As for lenses, that is what you really need to get your hands on. You can use ef and efs lens mounts, do NOT buy efs lenses, if you upgrade cameras later you may not be able to use them. This page on canon's website has a lot of useful info on lenses, and shows you a comparison of what you can do shoot with the different lenses.

To really get the most out of this camera, you want to google around and read up (or buy some books you can take with you) on how the aperture and shutter speed work hand in hand for different conditions and how get different effects by using them, do not just switch on auto and mindlessly click away. By knowing these fundamentals of photography you can get into depth of field, which is how sharp or blury things in the distance are, and what makes a photo stand out from random point and shoot camera shots.

I should get a lot of work out of it as soon as I get out of Baghdad. Five countries in 10 weeks before I head off to Korea for a year.

wow...thank you for your service

Canon and Nikon are both great brands, I use Nikon D80 and it takes great shots, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the one you bought.

Archived