The 2011 Lockout and its impact on the draft

Bx Jet Fan

I started this thread with the asumption that there will be no football in 2011. I mentioned in a Leon thread that we won't resign Leon because he will be in 2012 training camp battling it out with two years full of draft picks and he will be 30 years old.

But it got me thinking about the lockout and its impact on this years draft. Assume Sanchez progresses and we advance to the ACFCG again. Do we lose Schotty? If we do, do we draft a WR this year? WR's usually take a few years to develop and if we drafted one the guy is going to have to start over with a new OC, unless Callahan gets the job.

I saw one mock where we got Cody. That guy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who could stay in shape on his own without some kind of structured off season conditioning program. If I remeber right, during the last lockout the only players who could use the teams facilities were players rehabbing injuries. In other words, even if a player wanted to workout at the teams facilities they aren't allowed to.

I think character has a bigger impact on this years draft, and 2011. You are going to be giving kids a ton of money and you are going to have to trust that they stay out of trouble and stay in shape.

For those of you getting ready to troll, I think this is a legit concern-plus the draft is a month away and I'm bored. Any other consequences that you can think of because of the lockout post em here.

A lockout for the NFL would be a complete disaster when you take into account how much money the NFL has pumped into it's sports monopoly.

The Huffington Post had a pretty interesting article explaining what kind of leverage the league has over the players if they allow the current CBA to expire and go into 2011 without one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wm-david-cornwell-sr/there-will-not-be-a-locko_b_463803.html

There will be football in 2011. It might be late, but they'll play.

Teams won't weigh character as any more or less important because of the impending labor dispute.

Character isn't just about being a punk. I could see a guy like Cody, after getting millions of dollars guaranteed and taking a year off, showing up at training camp weighing 420 lbs.

Character isn't just about being a punk. I could see a guy like Cody, after getting millions of dollars guaranteed and taking a year off, showing up at training camp weighing 420 lbs.

The labor situation is not going to make any team look at any player any differently, IMHO. Either a team likes a guy like Cody or they don't.

I agree. But that has never stopped ownership from having workstoppages before.

When's the last time an NFL season was completely canceled due to a lockout or a strike?

I agree. But that has never stopped ownership from having workstoppages before.

Both of the previous 2 work stoppages were strikes initiated by the players. A lockout implies that the NFL is going to shut it's doors to the players and fans. I can't see that happening, especially if what I read in that article is even close to being true.

Archived