Goodell taking over college football too?

Matt39

I have no problem with any of these changes

Well, shocking.

This is an absolutely terrible rule. Taunting isnt near the issue as it was in the 80's. And for a ref to have the ability to take away a touchdown on what he deems "excessive" is awful for the sport.

Well, shocking.

This is an absolutely terrible rule. Taunting isnt near the issue as it was in the 80's. And for a ref to have the ability to take away a touchdown on what he deems "excessive" is awful for the sport.

I teach 10-12 year olds explicitly not to taunt or mock an opponent in a game.

It is not too much, and it is better for the sport for college athletes to be thinking along the same lines.

Nothing is worse than to see a 45-6 college game to be punctuated by some brain dead kid who thinks his 4th quarter deed in a blow out deserves extra attention.

Watch the WWF for that.

It is not too much, and it is better for the sport for college athletes to be thinking along the same lines.

Nothing is worse than to see a 45-6 college game to be punctuated by some brain dead kid who thinks his 4th quarter deed in a blow out deserves extra attention.

Watch the WWF for that.

It is way too much. If you intercept a pass to put your team ahead on a pick 6 and your emotion kicks in and you start to get excited before you reach the goaline- it happens.

And in the bolded, that really doesnt happen too often and that's more a reflection of the coach than the player. If a close game is changed on a borderline taunting penalty- you will see the biggest outcry in the history of sports.

Man, if only the NCAA put this much effort into putting together a playoff.

i find the taunting/mocking rules to be heavy handed. It's ok to drive block a dude into the ground, it's ok for a safety to wax a wide receiver over the middle, it's ok to forearm shiver a dude into next week... but for Gosh's sake don't taunt him. That's crossing a line. whatever.

It is way too much. If you intercept a pass to put your team ahead on a pick 6 and your emotion kicks in and you start to get excited before you reach the goaline- it happens.

And in the bolded, that really doesnt happen too often and that's more a reflection of the coach than the player. If a close game is changed on a borderline taunting penalty- you will see the biggest outcry in the history of sports.

Man, if only the NCAA put this much effort into putting together a playoff.

You just contradicted yourself in your own paragraph.

First you say "emotion kicks in on a player-it happens"

Then you say it happens in other occasions, it is the coach.

Does it strike anybody else that some programs are able to get by without taunting, without rubbing it an opponents face? Is that by chance? Of course it isn't.

Is it too much to ask a team to celebrate on their sideline, with the team, rather than one person hogging the spotlight?

Is it too much to ask our athletes to have the ability to discern appropriate celebration from inappropriate celebration?

i find the taunting/mocking rules to be heavy handed. It's ok to drive block a dude into the ground, it's ok for a safety to wax a wide receiver over the middle, it's ok to forearm shiver a dude into next week... but for Gosh's sake don't taunt him. That's crossing a line. whatever.

Its called sportsmanship. It is also supposed to be part of the game, along with the physical elements.

You just contradicted yourself in your own paragraph.

First you say "emotion kicks in on a player-it happens"

Then you say it happens in other occasions, it is the coach.

Does it strike anybody else that some programs are able to get by without taunting, without rubbing it an opponents face? Is that by chance? Of course it isn't.

Is it too much to ask a team to celebrate on their sideline, with the team, rather than one person hogging the spotlight?

Is it too much to ask our athletes to have the ability to discern appropriate celebration from inappropriate celebration?

They get penalized for that too. That's a 15 yard penalty.

It's funny these kids can go out there for 48 minutes, basically risking their lives...but the minute someone points their finger in the air...its a problem. I really doubt a kid in the heat of the battle is going to be offended because a guy celebrated into the endzone. If anything, its going to motivate them more.

It would be interesting to hear what some of the players think.

Tate's touchdown against Michigan lastyear would have been brought back. Its way too excessive. Taunting hasnt beeen a major problem anyway since the 80's.

Like I said, the NCAA should concentrate more of putting together a playoff, rather than policing a sport theat seems to be doing fine between the lines.

They get penalized for that too. That's a 15 yard penalty.

It's funny these kids can go out there for 48 minutes, basically risking their lives...but the minute someone points their finger in the air...its a problem. I really doubt a kid in the heat of the battle is going to be offended because a guy celebrated into the endzone. If anything, its going to motivate them more.

It would be interesting to hear what some of the players think.

Tate's touchdown against Michigan lastyear would have been brought back. Its way too excessive. Taunting hasnt beeen a major problem anyway since the 80's.

Like I said, the NCAA should concentrate more of putting together a playoff, rather than policing a sport theat seems to be doing fine between the lines.

You dont get penalized if you celebrate ON THE SIDELINE with your team.

Not too much to ask.

I want a playoff too, but that is a separate subject

And BTW Matt, you are confusing taunting with excessive celebration.

High stepping or pointing in the air isnt taunting- that's celebrating.

Pointing at a player(like Regge Bush NFC Championship against Chicago) would be taunting.

The latter shouldnt happen, but I dont think taking away points is the right call.

Taunting isnt a major issue in college football anyway...

If they do, do you give back a touchdown? Rules of sportsmanship are fine. Rules of conduct are fine. They just need to be kept separate and apart from the rules of the game.

If they do, do you give back a touchdown? Rules of sportsmanship are fine. Rules of conduct are fine. They just need to be kept separate and apart from the rules of the game.

I coach baseball so, no.

If you attempt to separate the physical parts of the sport from the conduct parts of the sport, you water it down.

Can someone please tell me when taunting is appropriate, and has a place?

Celebration, ok. Taunting, not.

Its called sportsmanship. It is also supposed to be part of the game, along with the physical elements.

maybe taunting is a part of the game too. I think it's entertaining. These guys can sacrifice their bodies but not their dignity? it's an arbitrary line to draw.

i used to love it when Gasteneau pretended he was a dog peeing on the downed QB like he was a fire hydrant or tree. That's entertainment!

The sportsmanship crap is window-dressing to distract stupid people from the relevant issue, which is granting officials discretionary power to revoke touchdowns when they see fit. You can crow about conduct all you want but if you think this is a good idea there's frankly something wrong with you.

Archived