Pettine: Kroul a "Viable Part" of the Defense

Kentucky Jet

Cool. He replaces Howard Green, Kevin Basped replaces him on the PS for the year would be my guess. Our DE depth will probably be Ellis, DeVito, Gholston, Pitoulia (whatever his name is), and Kroul. At NT we'll have Jenks and Pouha.

Anyone think its possible we'll be playing something similar to a 4-3 at times this year? I can imagine a scenario where we put Ellis and Pitoula/Pouha/DeVito at the DT spots and put Gholston/Taylor/Pace/Thomas on the outside, all at the line...

They seem to be talking about him as a DT/NT. Green was a 320 lb NT.

Any word on whether or not Kroul has bulked up? I keep seeing him listed at 280 and don't know if thats just a repeat of his rookie data.

That's what I was thinking when I read this. The headline had me thinking DE depth, but Kroul was supposed to have questionable size for a DT, let alone a NT. He was supposed to be a low ceiling guy that knew what he was doing, big on "football instinct" etc. He could have put some weight on, but how much?

They seem to be talking about him as a DT/NT. Green was a 320 lb NT.

That's what I was thinking when I read this. The headline had me thinking DE depth, but Kroul was supposed to have questionable size for a DT, let alone a NT. He was supposed to be a low ceiling guy that knew what he was doing, big on "football instinct" etc. He could have put some weight on, but how much?

If he's really 6'3'' then the frame is there to put on weight. I think he wrestled while in college, maybe thats why he never bulked up.

EDIT:

http://scottdo.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/combine-snub-motivates-kroul-toward-nfl/

This says he's 6'1'' and 290

"Kroul has improved his stature with a strong showing at Iowa’s pro day in March. He’s up to 291 pounds and stands nearly 6 feet, 1.5 inches. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.99 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times."

He's scrubular, but he's just a UDFA so it doesn't matter.

Any word on whether or not Kroul has bulked up? I keep seeing him listed at 280 and don't know if thats just a repeat of his rookie data.

He clocked in at 291.5. It was all muscle too. The guy was strong and after a yearwith Sal Alosi, he will be a beast!

It's not that insane. No improvements were made on the line this year through the draft or free agency. The plan all along probably was to keep relying on Pouha and DeVito's improvement, and to just have Rex continue with his projects, where he's got a remarkable history for players in the front-7.

Archived