Cimini: Friday AM

flgreen

Aug 612:45PM ETEmail Print Comments By Jane McManusRex Ryan had a lot to say at this morning's press conference, starting with signing Adam Schefter's bus with "Soon to be Champs."

"The first step is, if you don't believe it yourself your team darn sure won't," Ryan said. "Again I'm not apologizing I just know what's going to happen. In my crystal ball I'm seeing a Super Bowl trophy in there. I could be wrong but that's what I see. We'll see what happens I'm not embarrassed to say I think it's going to happen, the great thing is we get to prove it soon."

He was pleased to see the first fight of the season, and laughed that his prediction that OL Rob Turner would be involved came true. Turner and LB Jamaal Westerman went at it, and asked what sparked it Ryan quipped, "Who cares? You know what I mean, it was coming."

Matt Slauson holds the edge over Vlad Ducasse in the competition for Alan Faneca's vacated spot.

Ryan wants to see more out of RB Joe McKnight on special teams this season, because he doesn't have a chance of leaping LaDainian Tomlinson or Shonn Greene. Ryan said he had special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff call McKnight before the draft to make sure the kid from USC would be willing to play for him, and Ryan was pleased to see Westhoff use McKnight in the final kickoff return drill today.

Ryan said he liked to see the defense tip balls up if they can get to them, and that it doesn't make for a 50-50 ball because the offense runs routes while the defense is reacting. Said the philosophy has worked.

Ryan said DE Mike DeVito was ready to be a starter on the Jets along with Sean Ellis, Kris Jenkins and Sione Pouha. He will take the snaps for DE Marques Douglas, who is in Miami this year. He added that Vernon Gholston would have a roster spot, as a backup with Ropati Pitoitua.

"Vernon Gholston's going to play better this year," Ryan said.

Ryan said DE Mike DeVito was ready to be a starter on the Jets along with Sean Ellis, Kris Jenkins and Sione Pouha. He will take the snaps for DE Marques Douglas, who is in Miami this year. He added that Vernon Gholston would have a roster spot, as a backup with Ropati Pitoitua.

"Vernon Gholston's going to play better this year," Ryan said.

A backup to a backup. Who-boy!

A backup to a backup. Who-boy!

A backup in addition to Pitoitua, not to him.

I was a huge proponent for bringing VG and thinking he could easily transition into the 34 OLB position, however I was dead wrong. I openly admit that, but still hold out that he can show great improvement this year.

A backup in addition to Pitoitua, not to him.

I was a huge proponent for bringing VG and thinking he could easily transition into the 34 OLB position, however I was dead wrong. I openly admit that, but still hold out that he can show great improvement this year.

rex does have a crystal ball.he predicted turner to be involved in the first fight.that came true.the jets are going to win the super bowl.rex's crystal ball knows all

Archived