Jacques Demers Is Illiterate

The Gun Of Bavaria

Well that explains the years of Dump & Run hockey in Motown. :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2212397

Jacques Demers, one of the NHL's most seasoned coaches, admits he is illiterate in a biography that was launched Wednesday.

In a book titled "Jacques Demers: En Toutes Lettres," meaning All Spelled Out, Demers admits his illiteracy and says the problem stemmed from an "impoverished" and abusive childhood.

Journal de Montreal editor and former Montreal Canadiens beat writer Mario Leclerc wrote the book. The French version was launched Wednesday in Montreal and the English version will be released in mid-February.

At the launch, Demers told The Canadian Press that his inability to read and write came after his father beat and psychologically abused Demers and his mother.

''All I wanted from my father was to treat me with love,'' Demers was quoted as saying at the launch by The Canadian Press. ''Not to beat me up when I did something wrong. Not to beat up my mom. It really hurt me because he took away my childhood.

''The other thing I wanted to say was that if I could not write or read, it was because I had so much of a problem with anxiety because of the things going on in the family. I couldn't go to sleep at night. I'd go to school and I couldn't learn anything.

''So the message is, leave the kids alone. Don't beat them up. They're defenseless. Don't beat up their mom in front of the kids. He was an alcoholic, but he also wasn't a very good person to do that.''

According to The CP's report, Demers says in the book that few knew of his problem and that he would ask assistants to write letters for him. Even his wife, Debbie, didn't find out until Demers broke down after not being able to write out checks for house bills.

Demers coached the Quebec Nordiques, the St. Louis Blues, the Detroit Red Wings, the Montreal Canadiens and the Tampa Bay Lightning, where he was also general manager in the late 1990s, all without the ability to read or write.

When asked why he decided to go public with his illiteracy, Demers told reporters ''because I'm free now. I'm liberated.

''I have no problem saying what I wanted to say. That's what I needed. I've been carrying this all my life. I succeeded, and I'm telling people 'you're capable of doing something in your life even if you have some big handicaps.'''

Saw Demers interviewed about this.

He'd get around reading stuff by saying he'd forgotten his glasses or that his French or English wasn't good enough to understand exactly what was written. He signed game lineup cards based on the players numbers, not comprehending the names beside them. When he became a GM he completely trusted those under him for the content of the player contracts and merely signed them.

Incredible story.

d

Just cause he couldn't read, doesn't mean he couldn't dictate.

I agree with you 100%.

My Father is friends with a fellow who ran away from Poland during the War, sometime in 1940, or there-a-bouts. He never learned to read or write English, although he speaks the language, with a very heavy accent. He opened up a manufacturing business, making children's caps, and stuff like that. He is a multi millionaire. He stayed friendly with 3 guys, who worked for him, and trusted them for everything. One became a Lawyer, another a Tax Lawyer. The 3rd was his shop manager. He put the first 2 through college and and Law School. His business was snapped up by some large public company some 15 years ago.

It is a great story, and he always says that he will write a book. As soon as he can convince his friends to write it for him.

The point is, he had the smarts, although he was illiterate. Sometimes, that's all you need.

Archived