Merry Christmas from sanchez

Larz

My link

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Quarterback Mark Sanchez should start this weekend against the Chicago Bears, barring a setback after pushing himself during the New York Jets' Christmas Eve practice.

"We think he's going to be right around 100 percent for the game," Jets coach Rex Ryan said of Sanchez, who's officially listed as probable.

Sanchez spent a lot of time windmilling his right arm on Friday, but the throws he did make had power that he has lacked in the past two days of practice. The quarterback, who fell and injured his shoulder against the Steelers last Sunday, has been limited this week. He threw tentatively on Thursday, which concerned Ryan."I had those thougths that that's not NFL caliber," Ryan said Friday. "So today I think we all saw that he was zipping it, and I think he sent a message to all of us that he was ready to go."

On Thursday, Ryan said he had been too optimistic about Sanchez's condition on Wednesday, when he said that Sanchez would have been ready to go if he had needed to play that day.

On Friday, Sanchez threw hard, short passes to his receivers, and then put on a jacket -- all the while trying to keep his shoulder loose and warm with stretching.

Also Thursday, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said that Sanchez has gotten better as each practice goes along, and that he thought Ryan hadn't seen some of the practice when Sanchez looked looser.

"I just think it takes a little bit of time [to get through] some of the pain," Schottenheimer said.

In other Jets injury news, safety Eric Smith is doubtful with a concussion, but Ryan said Smith will make the trip to Chicago. Tackle Damien Woody is out with a knee injury. Defensive end Trevor Pryce is out with a hip injury and won't make the trip. Safety James Ihedigbo (knee and ankle) is questionable, but Ryan said he will play. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes (toe) is probable and will play.

I hate to be negative, but this is not a bruise or an strain. It is a partial tear. No matter how small, a tear is a tear. The only thing that can fix it, other than surgery, is rest. Not windmilling. Even if he can get thru this game, every time he throws the ball he risks making the tear worse. I am afraid this will be an issue for as long as the Jets play this year.

Is there a doctor in the house who can please explain to me why I am wrong?

I hate to be negative, but this is not a bruise or an strain. It is a partial tear. No matter how small, a tear is a tear. The only thing that can fix it, other than surgery, is rest. Not windmilling. Even if he can get thru this game, every time he throws the ball he risks making the tear worse. I am afraid this will be an issue for as long as the Jets play this year.

Is there a doctor in the house who can please explain to me why I am wrong?

Not a doctor, but worked in a physical therapy office as an assistant and also work as a trainer. It is very case dependent. Sometimes you can fall or twist a certain way and tear cartilage, ligaments, tendons, etc. and go about business after never having a problem. It all depends on what exactly was torn, and how. For example, lets say he tore it bc of the way the head of the humerus shifted in the socket. He could be perfectly fine playing and throwing with it, as long there is a repeat of the same circumstances that injured it in the first place. Now, if it's one of the ligaments that stabilize the shoulder that is a different story and could be damaged more with every throw if torn enough. But, from what I've seen it's cartilage, which in the shoulder helps hold the head of humerus in the socket along with the ligaments. As long as his shoulder is stable he should be ok with throwing. It's taking hits on it that could be the problem. That's a very brief explanantion of what he's prob dealing with based on info out there, but only the team docs know for sure.

Archived