Jets defense says Hines Ward is 'toughest guy in the league when nobody's looking'

Jetfan13

Mike Pettine said his players are well aware of Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward.

"Our guys, I think, called him the toughest guy in the league when nobody's looking," the Jets defensive coordinator said.

Known for his crack-back blocking style and overall ruthless field persona, Ward has, without question, drawn the ire of many players — not just the Jets.

So, for the Jets’ first matchup against the Steelers this season, the team created a “highlight tape” of sorts, showing Ward's countless low-lights. Pettine felt it was important to document the dangers of a player with one of the league’s dirtiest reputations.

“Our guys are certainly well aware of his reputation,” said Pettine, whose Jets' defense will face Ward again in Sunday's AFC title game. “... And again, that works for (the Steelers). He’s kind of the spark that gets them going, and we’re well aware of it.”

Some other worthy notes from his presser:

•Pettine called defending Steelers WR Mike Wallace "football 101." The most important thing Sunday will be jamming him at the line of scrimmage and hanging a safety high over the top.

•When Big Ben scrambles, there is an organization to the chaos that follows. In the case of a breakdown, Pettine instructs his guys to find the nearest guy, but to always be mindful of the deepest one first to eliminate big plays.

•He joked that of all the players he could possibly throw at Ben Roethlisberger, the most successful — so far — has been the 5-9, 180-pound Drew Coleman. In their last meeting, Coleman had two sacks on the mammoth Roethlisberger.

Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff said he never saw the video footage that surfaced depicting what was apparently the Patriots utilizing a sideline wall.

Previously, Westhoff had intimated as much to a Chicago radio station.

"I didn't see it so no, not at all," he said. "Trust me, I concentrate on what's on the field. That was a great win on the field, I was proud to be a part of it."

He was not pelted with snowballs in Foxborough as expected, though the day was not all pleasant.

"There was a guy that irritated me," he said. "I wonder what he told his children when he left home that he was going to spend the whole day yelling at me, he called me names the whole game it was ridiculous."

On Steve Weatherford's recent punting woes (six touchbacks in the playoffs opposed to just four all regular season), Westhoff said he was not pleased.

"It's frustrating, aggravating, I'll give you a whole bunch of 'ing's.' We tied and set an NFL record during the season for kicks inside the 20. We were as good as you could do. And that's good news/bad news. Good news is we executed the situation, bad news is we tried as many.

"Lately, it's been poor — he hasn't done it as well. So what you do is, you go back to his fundamentals, look at it and say 'Okay, why? Why is this happening?'"

Westhoff said it had nothing to do with the snap or the protection.

"We noticed that he was gaining a little ground, over-striding a little bit, and when you do that — sometimes at the last second — you fall back a little bit, that tends to put the ball lower and you drive it. So instead of hitting the soft wedge, you're hitting an 8 iron, so that's exactly what we did."

On Comartie's punt return gaffe last week, Westhoff said:

"I wish he had just fair caught the ball and let it hit and he just got away from it. I wish he hadn't done that, but it was just a mistake that me made. We're continuing the search."

He said he would likely stay with Jerricho Cotchery on returns because his game better suits what he "has in mind." Though he could use Cromartie in two-deep situations

Weatherford had an amazing game against the Steelers last go round. He's going to need to locate those corner coffins he's been great at all season long this Sunday. Field position will be crucial.

when mike westhoff speaks, joewilly listens....... as I'm sure weatherford does as well. Even hitting the endzone constantly, we still won the field position battle vs NE.

Seems odd that Pettine would speak about strategy against steelers scrambling to the press.

So, for the Jets’ first matchup against the Steelers this season, the team created a “highlight tape” of sorts, showing Ward's countless low-lights. Pettine felt it was important to document the dangers of a player with one of the league’s dirtiest reputations.

Hmmm.... Sounds like maybe it's getting a little personal. I've got no problem with that.

It's funny how the media won't call out the Steelers and only focuses on the Jets. Their QB is a rapist sexual predator, Holmes transgressions occurred as a Steeler as well and not a Jet, Hines Ward cheap shots people, and they also had Kimo take out a QB and pretty much end the guy's career (Palmer). After we beat them last time I saw the Steelers fans whining about how they hoped somebody would break Sanchez knees. And this is in a one TD game.

Class organization with classless fans.

Archived