An excellent article on the scumbagginess of NFL owners.

Bob

The NFL is completely different from any small business and you mentioned why in your prior posts. Do you know why there are no other viable football leagues? It's because the NFL violates antitrust laws. The only reason they get away with things like the draft and limiting free agency is because of the CBA. They want the NFLPA to sign off on that, but they don't want to provide any proof that it is necessary. That's why they are going to have to open the books or the NFL is going to face huge changes.

Whether a player buys a Bentley is completely irrelevant. They don't get paid for what they need. They are supposed to get paid what they are worth and if there weren't a cap and there weren't limits on where they could go and if they could demand guaranteed contracts they would make more money. Do you think the owners need more money? What for? So Bob Kraft and Woody can buy Liverpool or Kraft can fund the Color Purple.

I believe that before the afl nfl merger they had two drafts, one for each league. The player chose which league he wanted, fortunately for us Namath chose the AFL. It can still be done today, but good luck getting a tv deal.

I am for the players getting as much as they can. Short careers, injuries, ect., but they are pissing up a rope if they think the books will become open. Besides, you can make your books look like anything you want them to look like. Show a loss, show a gain, many ways to manipulate the books. What you see is usually not the true facts.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no justification for not opening the books-unless some other things are going on. And they are. Suspect again that the owners distrust each other, small markets vs. big markets. That shared TV revenue is one thing, but if I bought the Jets at a premium why an I forced to share everything else spare the luxury box revenue(which is probably not so great in this economy right now anyway)with the dunderheads who bought the Jags or Panthers relatively cheaply? Also that if someone looked at the books despite huge profits these new stadiums have not been the wonderous cash cows they were sold to the municipalities and states who kicked in and are not all that in terms of generating tax revenues. So the Jets and Giants would prefer not to see their franchise values depreciated because of slack ticket sales and all those empty luxury boxes we saw every Sunday. Consider also the idea of selling Los Angeles or any city on the economic impact of a new stadium would be greatly harmed if the falsity of that idiocy was exposed, and that would impact all the franchise values. And franchise values are what the owners borrow against to get cash out for the owners; it's their ATM. If you think about all that at a loss why Goodell would not simply take the offer to extend the current agreement for as long as he can. Put it this way-no surprise Jerry Richardson of the Panthers is badmouthing the NFLPA and insulting Peyton Manning. Behind the scenes I would bet a few dollars Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, Woody Johnson and the Mara/Tisch combo are not overjoyed that some small market do nothing from Podunk is insulting their investment's biggest marketing icon.

There's no justification for not opening the books-unless some other things are going on. And they are. Suspect again that the owners distrust each other, small markets vs. big markets. That shared TV revenue is one thing, but if I bought the Jets at a premium why an I forced to share everything else spare the luxury box revenue(which is probably not so great in this economy right now anyway)with the dunderheads who bought the Jags or Panthers relatively cheaply? Also that if someone looked at the books despite huge profits these new stadiums have not been the wonderous cash cows they were sold to the municipalities and states who kicked in and are not all that in terms of generating tax revenues. So the Jets and Giants would prefer not to see their franchise values depreciated because of slack ticket sales and all those empty luxury boxes we saw every Sunday. Consider also the idea of selling Los Angeles or any city on the economic impact of a new stadium would be greatly harmed if the falsity of that idiocy was exposed, and that would impact all the franchise values. And franchise values are what the owners borrow against to get cash out for the owners; it's their ATM. If you think about all that at a loss why Goodell would not simply take the offer to extend the current agreement for as long as he can. Put it this way-no surprise Jerry Richardson of the Panthers is badmouthing the NFLPA and insulting Peyton Manning. Behind the scenes I would bet a few dollars Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, Woody Johnson and the Mara/Tisch combo are not overjoyed that some small market do nothing from Podunk is insulting their investment's biggest marketing icon.

great post.

Did you read the article today about the JETS plans for their employees if there is a lockout? I feel bad for these people. Caught in the crossfire of very wealthy people.

IU can imagine that there will be some teams that won't pay their COACHES in event of a lockout.

It will be interesting to see how the different teams handle this.

IU can imagine that there will be some teams that won't pay their COACHES in event of a lockout.

It will be interesting to see how the different teams handle this.

How do you not pay a coach if he is part of the draft? I heard all coaches have a 20% rule built into their contracts. In the event of a lockout their pay drops 20%. I would not be happy if I had to sit through hours of film and receive no pay.

I would not say it is behind the scenes. One sportswriter at ESPN (I believe) pointed out that the CBA will not be solved until the owners figure out their revenue sharing. The main issue being the distribution of local revenue as teams like the Patriots, Cowboys and Eagles to name a few are not inclined to share as much of their revenue. Their belief is they work at developing that revenue and to share it with a team like the Bengals that do not, is wrong.

I would not say it is behind the scenes. One sportswriter at ESPN (I believe) pointed out that the CBA will not be solved until the owners figure out their revenue sharing. The main issue being the distribution of local revenue as teams like the Patriots, Cowboys and Eagles to name a few are not inclined to share as much of their revenue. Their belief is they work at developing that revenue and to share it with a team like the Bengals that do not, is wrong.

They have a point. There probably should be two pots. The TV revenue and league wide stuff and other things that should belong mostly to the teams - like sales of pink Tom Brady jerseys. Kraft is speaking at LGBT dinners to court that market. Why should he have to share that money with those homophobes?

The problem is that without strict revenue sharing they are even more vulnerable to anti-trust claims. That ship may have already sailed, but they are probably going to hang on to it like grim death.

They have a point. There probably should be two pots. The TV revenue and league wide stuff and other things that should belong mostly to the teams - like sales of pink Tom Brady jerseys. Kraft is speaking at LGBT dinners to court that market. Why should he have to share that money with those homophobes?

The problem is that without strict revenue sharing they are even more vulnerable to anti-trust claims. That ship may have already sailed, but they are probably going to hang on to it like grim death.

The answer to that question might ultimately decide the financial structure of the league.

While there are a lot of reasons why the league is successful today, one of them is the Mara Family, the owner of a large market team, being willing to revenue sharing.

The new breed of owners seem to want to tweak this. Seeing you have teams like the Bengals that do virtually nothing, I hardly blame them.

Will the NFL start resembling MLB over the next 20 years?

The answer to that question might ultimately decide the financial structure of the league.

While there are a lot of reasons why the league is successful today, one of them is the Mara Family, the owner of a large market team, being willing to revenue sharing.

The new breed of owners seem to want to tweak this. Seeing you have teams like the Bengals that do virtually nothing, I hardly blame them.

Will the NFL start resembling MLB over the next 20 years?

The NFL WILL resemble MLB now if there is no cba.

The NFL WILL resemble MLB now if there is no cba.

IMHO it will start to anyways if it has not already.

Teams like Dallas, New England and Philadelphia that generate a lot of external revenue have more disposable income for signing bonuses. I doubt that trend will ever end.

What the league is likely asking itself is there anything they can do to keep the same financial model viable which keeps teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay relevant?

Or is the current market becoming to the point where some teams will have a clear financial advantage and there is no mechanism to fix it.

IMHO it will start to anyways if it has not already.

Teams like Dallas, New England and Philadelphia that generate a lot of external revenue have more disposable income for signing bonuses. I doubt that trend will ever end.

What the league is likely asking itself is there anything they can do to keep the same financial model viable which keeps teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay relevant?

Or is the current market becoming to the point where some teams will have a clear financial advantage and there is no mechanism to fix it.

This where the problem really arises. the NFL probably knows it's pension system and post-career medical benefits packages are embarrassments and have to be improved, if onlya s PR. The bigger issues are the imbalances in revenues and franchise values. All fine and good to wax poetic about the Steelers and Packers all that wonderful competitive balance BS, but the owners who bought in recently are asking why they paid a premium to have to share, or in their view, subsisize incompetence and sloth of those owners who bought into the club on the cheap. And that goes also for the Mara/Tisch bunch, who were as deep into the PSL mess as Woody Johnson. All that Wellington Mara TV/good for the NFL stuff is history.

Archived