Cotchery rehabbing from back surgery

visajets

Jets WR Jerricho Cotchery rehabbing from offseason back surgery

Published: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 4:44 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 4:44 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

John Munson/The Star-LedgerWR Jerricho Cotchery battled through a herniated disc and slight groin tear last season.

Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery is rehabbing his way back from offseason back surgery, a person with direct knowledge of his physical condition confirmed. That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced Cotchery's injury.

ESPNNewYork.com first reported that Cotchery had a procedure to relieve a herniated disc in his back that he played with during the 2010 season. Cotchery is rehabbing at a facility in New Jersey while players are locked out of the team headquarters in the current labor impasse.

Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com that his condition worsened midway through the season and caused shooting pain down his leg.

"It wasn't a good feeling," Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com. "It was pretty painful. I wouldn't want any football player to have to go through that."

But he is progressing well and hopes to start running in three to four weeks, according to the report, and plans to be ready for training camp -- if a new collective bargaining agreement has been reached by then.

Cotchery also battled his way through a slight groin tear last season, sustained on a signature catch during overtime of the Jets' Week 10 win in Cleveland. Cotchery, who yielded his starting job to Santonio Holmes midway through the season, finished the year with 41 catches for 433 yards.

Holmes and Braylon Edwards, as well as Brad Smith, are all due to be free agents when a new CBA is reached. The Jets have said they would like to bring all three players back, but that might not be possible.

Jets WR Jerricho Cotchery rehabbing from offseason back surgery

Published: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 4:44 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 4:44 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

John Munson/The Star-LedgerWR Jerricho Cotchery battled through a herniated disc and slight groin tear last season.

Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery is rehabbing his way back from offseason back surgery, a person with direct knowledge of his physical condition confirmed. That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced Cotchery's injury.

ESPNNewYork.com first reported that Cotchery had a procedure to relieve a herniated disc in his back that he played with during the 2010 season. Cotchery is rehabbing at a facility in New Jersey while players are locked out of the team headquarters in the current labor impasse.

Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com that his condition worsened midway through the season and caused shooting pain down his leg.

"It wasn't a good feeling," Cotchery told ESPNNewYork.com. "It was pretty painful. I wouldn't want any football player to have to go through that."

But he is progressing well and hopes to start running in three to four weeks, according to the report, and plans to be ready for training camp -- if a new collective bargaining agreement has been reached by then.

Cotchery also battled his way through a slight groin tear last season, sustained on a signature catch during overtime of the Jets' Week 10 win in Cleveland. Cotchery, who yielded his starting job to Santonio Holmes midway through the season, finished the year with 41 catches for 433 yards.

Holmes and Braylon Edwards, as well as Brad Smith, are all due to be free agents when a new CBA is reached. The Jets have said they would like to bring all three players back, but that might not be possible.

Makes sense, there is no way Cotch was himself last year. You don't just lose the ability to catch the ball, especially someone who is always as consistent as Cotchery.

I thought he had some drops because he wasnt being targeted as much. I guess that there was much more to it. Cotch has always been above average and much more deserving than a #3 receiver. He didnt complain publicly when he was demoted. I trust him on 3rd down any game...

I had a discectomy last august...years of sitting in a Crown Victoria bench seat with 25 lbs of gear hanging on your hips will herniate the hell out of your spine. Anyway it got so bad that pain traveled down my right leg, through my knee and calg and ended at my bif toe (sounds like cotch had an L-4/L-5 herniation like mine--very common). I couldn't walk, sleep sit or lie flat, and was only able to screw kneeling (but then, that's probably too much information). the pain was unending and brutal with no relief from any drug or therapy. I eventually couldn't bring my right leg forward past my hip and started walking like a cripple. If Cotch's was even half as bad then I'm astounded he could actually play football. This is an unbelievably debilitating condition. The guy has nads. And I now forgive him any lack of concentration he may have had on the field. Seriously, this pain is crushing, overwhelming and unrelenting. And the dude played NFL football bearing it.

I had a discectomy last august...years of sitting in a Crown Victoria bench seat with 25 lbs of gear hanging on your hips will herniate the hell out of your spine. Anyway it got so bad that pain traveled down my right leg, through my knee and calg and ended at my bif toe (sounds like cotch had an L-4/L-5 herniation like mine--very common). I couldn't walk, sleep sit or lie flat, and was only able to screw kneeling (but then, that's probably too much information). the pain was unending and brutal with no relief from any drug or therapy. I eventually couldn't bring my right leg forward past my hip and started walking like a cripple. If Cotch's was even half as bad then I'm astounded he could actually play football. This is an unbelievably debilitating condition. The guy has nads. And I now forgive him any lack of concentration he may have had on the field. Seriously, this pain is crushing, overwhelming and unrelenting. And the dude played NFL football bearing it.

Back pain is strange. I have a similar back problem, but not as serious. The pain is intermittent. I spent years listening to clients and teammates whine about their back pain and thinking they had to be exaggerating. Then one day it went like a zipper. I couldn't move for 3 days. You can't even get in a comfortable position to lie down and if you do, you immediately want to test it to see if you back is "better" and ruin it. My first thought was "OH! This is what they've all been talking about!"

OTOH, mine got better and I can play with it. On rare occasions it will act up a bit, but thankfully it hasn't necessitated surgery. There are all levels. The only way I even notice now (knock on wood) was the last time I was at the doctor he checked my reflexes - left knee fine, right knee fine, behind the left foot at the base of the achilles, fine, behind the right foot, nothing. I could feel the hammer hit, but nothing happens.

Makes sense, there is no way Cotch was himself last year. You don't just lose the ability to catch the ball, especially someone who is always as consistent as Cotchery.

Amen mike. It definitely makes a lot of sense.

I couldn't walk, sleep sit or lie flat, and was only able to screw kneeling (but then, that's probably too much information).

That is too much information. Some things should remain between you and your partner.

Back pain is strange. I have a similar back problem, but not as serious. The pain is intermittent. I spent years listening to clients and teammates whine about their back pain and thinking they had to be exaggerating. Then one day it went like a zipper. I couldn't move for 3 days. You can't even get in a comfortable position to lie down and if you do, you immediately want to test it to see if you back is "better" and ruin it. My first thought was "OH! This is what they've all been talking about!"

OTOH, mine got better and I can play with it. On rare occasions it will act up a bit, but thankfully it hasn't necessitated surgery. There are all levels. The only way I even notice now (knock on wood) was the last time I was at the doctor he checked my reflexes - left knee fine, right knee fine, behind the left foot at the base of the achilles, fine, behind the right foot, nothing. I could feel the hammer hit, but nothing happens.

You couldn't feel the doctors hammer? He must have a small one.

That does excplain everything... He has always been a solid contributor great hands. I wonder if the Jets are going to get fined for not reporting him as injured?

Archived