Cromartie in the news

visajets

CB Antonio Cromartie views restricted free-agent tender as 'insurance' for Jets

Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 3:35 PM Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 3:48 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

John O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerJets CB Antonio Cromartie said he has not made a decision on if he would sign his restricted free agent tender or not.

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie said he had "no reaction" when the Jets placed a first-and third-round tender on him last month, in the event that he is a restricted free agent if and when the current NFL lockout ends.

"For me, I really don’t care," Cromartie said during a brief interview today, before driving off to pick up his son. "It is what it is. It’s insurance for them, and who knows what's going to happen in the next couple months. I could be an (unrestricted) free agent, or a restricted free agent and have the tender on me."

Cromartie has been back and forth between California and New Jersey during the lockout, and spent the past week training at Joe DeFranco's warehouse-style gym in Wyckoff, where fellow NFL players David Diehl, Brian Cushing, Miles Austin and Sinorice Moss also work out.

Cromartie just played his fifth NFL season, so he would be unrestricted if free agency reverts back to four years. But he could be restricted if the rules of 2010's uncapped year are applied, a possibility if the NFL Players Association is granted an injuction in its antitrust suit to lift the lockout.

Some players have said they would not sign their tenders in that situation, but Cromartie said he hasn't made a decision on that front yet, and would talk to his business partners before moving forward.

As far as his future -- if he believes he will stay with the Jets or the importance of earning a long-term deal -- Cromartie said he's focused on the here and now.

"As I know right now, I'm a Jet until we’re told otherwise," said Cromartie, who was traded to the Jets from San Diego last March. "I leave that in the hands of God and my business partners. Right now, I've got to take care of what I've got to take care of, and that’s about me going out there and training."

Cromartie has expressed strong opinions this offseason on his Twitter account, lamenting the breakdown in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, supporting the NFL's push for HGH testing and saying he hopes the top prospects choose to go to Radio City for the NFL Draft despite the lockout. On the Jets' locker cleanout day, he also used strong language and profanities to criticize both the NFL and the NFLPA's approach in the labor dispute.

"That’s just my opinion," Cromartie said yesterday of offering his take publicly. "Other players might be thinking something different. That’s just my opinion and my version and what I think."

Asked if he was concerned his comments might show cracks in the base of players, formerly organized as a union but now decertified into a trade association, Cromartie reiterated that he is expressing how he feels.

"I'm my own union," he said. "We’re a trade association, so I’m my own union. I've got to protect myself.

"I'm not worried about what everybody else feels," he added. "My biggest thing is going out there and playing football."

CB Antonio Cromartie views restricted free-agent tender as 'insurance' for Jets

Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 3:35 PM Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 3:48 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

John O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerJets CB Antonio Cromartie said he has not made a decision on if he would sign his restricted free agent tender or not.

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie said he had "no reaction" when the Jets placed a first-and third-round tender on him last month, in the event that he is a restricted free agent if and when the current NFL lockout ends.

"For me, I really don’t care," Cromartie said during a brief interview today, before driving off to pick up his son. "It is what it is. It’s insurance for them, and who knows what's going to happen in the next couple months. I could be an (unrestricted) free agent, or a restricted free agent and have the tender on me."

Cromartie has been back and forth between California and New Jersey during the lockout, and spent the past week training at Joe DeFranco's warehouse-style gym in Wyckoff, where fellow NFL players David Diehl, Brian Cushing, Miles Austin and Sinorice Moss also work out.

Cromartie just played his fifth NFL season, so he would be unrestricted if free agency reverts back to four years. But he could be restricted if the rules of 2010's uncapped year are applied, a possibility if the NFL Players Association is granted an injuction in its antitrust suit to lift the lockout.

Some players have said they would not sign their tenders in that situation, but Cromartie said he hasn't made a decision on that front yet, and would talk to his business partners before moving forward.

As far as his future -- if he believes he will stay with the Jets or the importance of earning a long-term deal -- Cromartie said he's focused on the here and now.

"As I know right now, I'm a Jet until we’re told otherwise," said Cromartie, who was traded to the Jets from San Diego last March. "I leave that in the hands of God and my business partners. Right now, I've got to take care of what I've got to take care of, and that’s about me going out there and training."

Cromartie has expressed strong opinions this offseason on his Twitter account, lamenting the breakdown in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, supporting the NFL's push for HGH testing and saying he hopes the top prospects choose to go to Radio City for the NFL Draft despite the lockout. On the Jets' locker cleanout day, he also used strong language and profanities to criticize both the NFL and the NFLPA's approach in the labor dispute.

"That’s just my opinion," Cromartie said yesterday of offering his take publicly. "Other players might be thinking something different. That’s just my opinion and my version and what I think."

Asked if he was concerned his comments might show cracks in the base of players, formerly organized as a union but now decertified into a trade association, Cromartie reiterated that he is expressing how he feels.

"I'm my own union," he said. "We’re a trade association, so I’m my own union. I've got to protect myself.

"I'm not worried about what everybody else feels," he added. "My biggest thing is going out there and playing football."

I respect the fact that he has been openly critical of the both sides and I completely understand when he says he's his own union. The Player's Association don't give a hoot about these guys after they're done playing.

Even though most people hate him, I agree with everything he's been saying. He actually really sounds like a team player and one who just wants to play football. Also, agree on his steroid stance that those that don't want to be tested probably have something to hide.

Even though most people hate him, I agree with everything he's been saying. He actually really sounds like a team player and one who just wants to play football. Also, agree on his steroid stance that those that don't want to be tested probably have something to hide.

I agree

it sounds like he knows he is going to get a fair amount of cash, and just wants to play football.

Good for you Cro

Just wants to play football? That was Lawrence Taylor's line when he crossed the picket line and sold out his fellow players: "I'm a football player. I play football.", Taylor said. Needless to say, the defection of such a major figure in the league helped to kill the strike.

Since Cromartie made his last comment undermining the union, the union has gone ahead and won a couple of court decisions which everyone agrees greatly enhances their bargaining position. This is very likely to result in a much better deal for the players, both active and retired, than what the owners would otherwise give.

If ever there was a player who should consider keeping silent because things are going well despite him, that player is Antonio Cromartie.

Just wants to play football? That was Lawrence Taylor's line when he crossed the picket line and sold out his fellow players: "I'm a football player. I play football.", Taylor said. Needless to say, the defection of such a major figure in the league helped to kill the strike.

Since Cromartie made his last comment undermining the union, the union has gone ahead and won a couple of court decisions which everyone agrees greatly enhances their bargaining position. This is very likely to result in a much better deal for the players, both active and retired, than what the owners would otherwise give.

If ever there was a player who should consider keeping silent because things are going well despite him, that player is Antonio Cromartie.

I liked Taylor then for taking a stand, and ending the stupid strike, and I like Cro now for telling the truth

Remember anything extra the millionaire players get will only be passed along to the fans.

I liked Taylor then for taking a stand, and ending the stupid strike, and I like Cro now for telling the truth

Remember anything extra the millionaire players get will only be passed along to the fans.

This is so true either in ticket prices or concessions the fans will pay for all this.

This is so true either in ticket prices or concessions the fans will pay for all this.

This is absolutely NOT true. The owners will bleed the fans for as much as they can. The amount the have to pay the players will cut into their billions of profit. Any concession will not be given back to the fans. To think that is the case is extremely naive. The owners are understandably all about maximizing profits.

Cocaine and underage hookers don;t grow on trees.

Archived