Do not Rush To Judge Kendrick Ellis

Kentucky Jet

just as we shouldn't rush to judge Ellis, we also shouldn't rush to annoint him as totally awesome. taking the character stuff out of it for a second, we are talking about a player with 2 sacks at Hampton last year, both in the same game, at Howard.

Vlad Ducasse came from a similar small school background, and couldn't get active, even tho the team basically gave him a chance to start.

we should expect similar development time for Ellis. the jump from facing Howard to facing the Dallas Cowboys is huge.

if this player can get to 2nd team NT on the depth chart and not get into trouble it will be a good year. Chances are good he will be game day inactive for many weeks.

Didn't Kendall Langford play at Hampton?

Didn't Kendall Langford play at Hampton?

yes and it's an interesting comparison.

Langford played at E/W Shrine and Senior bowl and ended up a high 3rd (66 overall). Langford had something like 24 career sacks at Hampton over 4 years. reliable dude. the dolphins recently signed him long term.

Marcus Dixon is also an interesting Hampton guy. He had off the field stuff (Statutory Rape conviction overturned) went undrafted.

+1 Ellis has the raw skills to play DE. but it will be a process. The dude is used to facing guards and centers, it's another step up to face tackles. Baby steps with Kenrick Ellis, he will get there... probably not in year 1. Wilkerson we can expect will be facing tackles from the get go.

Personally, I'm shortening Ellis' learning curve. I legitimately think he was one of the most skilled players in this year's draft, and that he's a smarter player (not person, maybe) than his profile makes him seem.

He's bigger than Wilkerson, played more football than Wilkerson, and is arguably more polished. As far as facing tackles, sure he hasn't faced them but physically he's bigger than most of them by a good 20-25 pounds. He's also, as you've mentioned, a long limbed 6'5 345 pound guy, which should help him against the long limbs of NFL tackles.

Really, I'd be very disappointed if the Jets didn't feel the impact of both of the DL picks as rookies.

Really, I'd be very disappointed if the Jets didn't feel the impact of both of the DL picks as rookies.

NFL DT is not a young man's game. There are guys like SUh who come along once in a generation and dominate but most of these guys are on a 3-5 year learning program.

also rookies don't get an offseason, which kills their stamina for their first season. they spend all their time preping for the draft and flying around the country. Kyle Wilson hit the wall early. Most of these guys do.

Archived