is 120 million a good cap for the JETS?

Jetkid94

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think more correctly he would rather the flexibility to do either on any given play and not have to worry about a $9-10M CB ever being a liability.

Save the cap space, use Wilson and figure his career will get better than his first NFL game, and pick up a 3rd round comp pick.

If the Jets make a major offer to Cromartie, in the $8M/year range or more, then I will concede that Rex thinks Wilson will always be terrible.

Good point, maybe the whole "training with Revis" this offseason was more of scouting by Revis to see if this kid will make the jump this year. It will definately have a bearing on what our Jets will offer Cro.

I think more correctly he would rather the flexibility to do either on any given play and not have to worry about a $9-10M CB ever being a liability.

Save the cap space, use Wilson and figure his career will get better than his first NFL game, and pick up a 3rd round comp pick.

If the Jets make a major offer to Cromartie, in the $8M/year range or more, then I will concede that Rex thinks Wilson will always be terrible.

That's the key here. If that angle of the CBA remains the same, and I think it will, the Jets are paying a 2nd round draft pick for one year, but the difference between a second and a third. Don't think the pick will be an issue.

Wilson sure better be ready to play

Why is that? Havent the NYJETS made other draft day mistakes and still managed 2 recent appearances in the AFC Championship. :rolleyes:

The past 2 teams will not have operated under another bloated contract in the secondary, Revis' new contract and what that means to other part of the team.......

The past 2 teams will not have operated under another bloated contract in the secondary, Revis' new contract and what that means to other part of the team.......

What does it mean Scott? In case you been living under a rock Rex is a defensive minded coach and he loves his defensive secondary. I doubt he allows the secondary to be weakened by not signing Cro. In a perfect world the NYJETS sign Edwards, Holmes and Cro all in that order.

Have a nice day!

What does it mean Scott? In case you been living under a rock Rex is a defensive minded coach and he loves his defensive secondary. I doubt he allows the secondary to be weakened by not signing Cro. In a perfect world the NYJETS sign Edwards, Holmes and Cro all in that order.

Have a nice day!

Unfortunately, the Cap means that the perfect world is not a logical reality.

It seems you agree that Cro is the LEAST important of the big 3. I would agree.

Have a groovy day.

If that happens, this franchise is officially in a little bit of trouble and has badly miscalculated.

It would be very upsetting. I'm for shifting the job over to Wilson if at all possible. So if the Jets make Cromartie a lowball offer (or no offer) then Rex & company think he just had a rough go of it as a rookie (particularly in his first game). But that desire goes out the window if his coaches (and Revis I guess) all feel they've already seen enough to know he'll never be a non-liability as a regular starter.

He did stick with his receivers well & was in good position if he just knew to turn his head. I don't know if that's more due to an awareness gene that can't be taught or that he was concentrating so much on one aspect of his game - blanketing his man - that he blocked out all other things. That can improve with experience as the rest of his game becomes more automatic & he's not thinking about every step he takes. I'd have been more concerned if he was easily juked and bought it every time a guy faked a step in one direction and ended up moving in a different direction. Just like a QB concentrating so much on his own footwork won't be aware of exactly where all his receivers should be 1.1 seconds into his dropback: once that footwork becomes automatic the rest of it falls into place.

Hey, not everyone is ready from day one. He's not going to be Asomugha but then even Asomugha couldn't warrant a 2nd rookie start on a 4-12 team that was playing for nothing except draft position. Samuel started 1 game as a rookie. Winfield 2 games. Ronde 0 games and was considered totally clueless as a rookie. Hell, Cromartie barely saw the field either as a rookie. It's easy to fabricate the scenario that if these guys had started in week 1 as rookies that they wouldn't have had just about the worst games of their careers. Not everyone is ready from day one.

Archived