Jets will not be bringing back Trevor Pryce

Jetsfan80

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/8/9/2354345/new-york-jets-have-no-interest-in-trevor-pryce

New York Jets Have No Interest in Trevor Pryce

Manish Mehta says the Jets are not looking to bring back Trevor Pryce.

For those asking, the #Jets don't have any interest in bringing veteran Trevor Pryce back to add depth to the defensive line.

Combining this news with the half hearted (to put it charitably) attempt at keeping Shaun Ellis, and it seems like the coaching staff has a ton of confidence in the young defensive linemen on the roster. Pryce and Ellis might be old, but both are still playing at a high level.

If this coaching staff has credibility in one area, it is on the defensive line. They were right about Mike Devito last year when letting Marques Douglas seemed risky. They have vastly improved the play of Devito and Sione Pouha into excellent starters at their respective positions. It looks like some guys without track records are going to get chances to build ones for themselves.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/8/9/2354345/new-york-jets-have-no-interest-in-trevor-pryce

New York Jets Have No Interest in Trevor Pryce

Manish Mehta says the Jets are not looking to bring back Trevor Pryce.

Combining this news with the half hearted (to put it charitably) attempt at keeping Shaun Ellis, and it seems like the coaching staff has a ton of confidence in the young defensive linemen on the roster. Pryce and Ellis might be old, but both are still playing at a high level.

If this coaching staff has credibility in one area, it is on the defensive line. They were right about Mike Devito last year when letting Marques Douglas seemed risky. They have vastly improved the play of Devito and Sione Pouha into excellent starters at their respective positions. It looks like some guys without track records are going to get chances to build ones for themselves.

And that's definitely the key here. This is the position that Rex made his name in the NFL with, and there's no question the guy knows what he's doing there. The Jets love their draft picks, but not only that, you can't underestimate the fact that Ryan is clearly a big fan of guys already around like Pitoitua, Dixon and that whole crew. Over the past few years they've let one veteran DL after another walk away, all of whom they easily could've kept if the wanted, so it's certainly not without good reason.

Yeah I really don't get that, it would be nice to have another solid vet on the list.

Consider there's only so much roster room for the position, and in addition to all of the guys still on the roster from last year's team (which is everyone but Ellis & Pryce), they've added Wilkerson, Ellis and have the return of Pitoitua. I don't doubt they will keep their eye on Pryce just in case they start racking up some injuries at the position, but the Jets have a lot of young guys they really like at DL on the roster, and they're clearly not willing to sacrifice any of them in favor of an old veteran backup. Honestly, that's a very good sign.

Consider there's only so much roster room for the position, and in addition to all of the guys still on the roster from last year's team (which is everyone but Ellis & Pryce), they've added Wilkerson, Ellis and have the return of Pitoitua. I don't doubt they will keep their eye on Pryce just in case they start racking up some injuries at the position, but the Jets have a lot of young guys they really like at DL on the roster, and they're clearly not willing to sacrifice any of them in favor of an old veteran backup. Honestly, that's a very good sign.

Not to mention, bringing back Pryce means you sacrifice a player at another position. Who would we be willing to lose to bring back Pryce? A WR such as Patrick Turner or Michael Campbell? One of our ILB's, where our depth is paper thin already?

The way I see it, we added 3 D-linemen in Wilkerson, Kenrick Ellis, and Ropati Pitoitua (I consider him an acquisition despite being on our roster last year on IR). We lost 3 linemen of significance in Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, and now Pryce. 3 in, 3 out. Works for me.

Does anybody think Pryce played well last season? I don't. He didn't provide pass rush and seemed worse against the run than the others. I think we will go with what we have and scour the waiver wire for some practice squad types. Gilbert and Dixon are guys that were highly rated coming out that are entering their prime. They either put up or they are gone. Even the rejects Lorenzo Washington and Carlton Powell (is he still around?)are probably capable enough. They are already fringe players.

Does anybody think Pryce played well last season? I don't. He didn't provide pass rush and seemed worse against the run than the others. I think we will go with what we have and scour the waiver wire for some practice squad types. Gilbert and Dixon are guys that were highly rated coming out that are entering their prime. They either put up or they are gone. Even the rejects Lorenzo Washington and Carlton Powell (is he still around?)are probably capable enough. They are already fringe players.

What, 4 tackles and a sack doesnt do it for you?

How many years in a row has Rex had a top 5 defense? Even his biggest detractor cannot say anything bad about his ability to run a defense on a consistent basis. He's saying goodbye to Trevor Pryce, one of "Rex's guys," in favor of playing younger talent. If it was the other way around, then there would be cause for concern. I'm not worried at all about our DL. In fact, I think it's going to be one of our biggest strengths this year. If one guy sucks, who cares, they'll replace him with someone who is hungry, has good size/strength/talent and most importantly, has good technique.

Archived