Source: Jets Had E.J. Manuel Rated Higher That Geno Smith

flgreen

I am not as down on Geno as many are. I think he has a very strong arm, seems pretty smart, has shown some resilience.

His footwork is really bad, but this can hopefully be addressed with a really good offseason.

He has been throwing to a patchwork WR corp for most of the season, and I thought many of the gameplans put Geno in a very bad spot with very predictable runs into stacked lines on first and second down setting up way too many 3rd and longs.

I am by no means sold on him at all, and think we still need to be looking for our long term guy, but I am kind of curious to see how Geno comes back next year as a second year guy with an offseason to learn from his mistakes and tidy up his mechanics.

I saw nothing from Manuel that makes me think he is any better than Geno.

No they shouldn't have. Taking what was the top rated QB by most people in the second was the right move even if it doesn't work out. We've taken a ******* kicker in that spot before. The problem was everything that happened after as far as putting him in day one and having David Nelson as his #1 WR.

I would have agreed with you if it wasn't for the fact that teams sell themselves on qbs. At this point, Jets are probably sticking with Geno for at least another 2 years, which is a completely horrid approach. Often times teams will stick with qb's for ages despite qb play, if the kid shows a little bit of promise. So we'll probably stick with Geno and pass on a superstar qb and then once Geno flames out, we'll be back to square one and repeat the process all over again.

I would have agreed with you if it wasn't for the fact that teams sell themselves on qbs. At this point, Jets are probably sticking with Geno for at least another 2 years, which is a completely horrid approach. Often times teams will stick with qb's for ages despite qb play, if the kid shows a little bit of promise. So we'll probably stick with Geno and pass on a superstar qb and then once Geno flames out, we'll be back to square one and repeat the process all over again.

This is why it is so critical to have people in the organization who can truly assess the QB.

Since Marty spoke highly of Geno pre-draft, it is in his best interest to say he can make Geno work, or there is a very good chance that he will be gone.

Who is going to assess the QB, Idzik? Rex, lol?

Idzik needs to get someone in this organization who can truly identify potential in a QB and develop him.

Mike Holgrem used to say that the NFL as a whole does a horrible job with the QB position, and it's true. 

Since the QB is by far the most important position on the field, you need people who can assess them and develop them, we don't really have either.

Archived