Marvin Jones FSU Jersey Retirement

JOJOTOWNSELL

Marvin "THE PRESIDENT" Jones is getting his FSU jersey retired this weekend.  Pretty amazing that he is only the 10th Seminole to receive that honor.  Lets give it up for one of the all time great college football linebackers and one of my top 3 favorite Jets of all time!

ALL HAIL THE PRESIDENT!

Cheers Marvin!

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Marvin-Jones-Jersey-Being-Retired-by-Florida-St/6a23fd37-1083-4135-8933-20978cc28d08

Former Jets middle linebacker Marvin Jones will join the list of Florida State greats to have their FSU jerseys retired when he and his No. 55 will be in the spotlight for the Seminoles' home game against Miami on Oct. 10.

"It's a great thing for me. It obviously puts you in an elite club," Jones, the two-time consensus All-American, said this afternoon. "It shows, I guess, that they still kind of like me there."

No question about it.

"Marvin had a huge impact on Florida State football as one of the greatest linebackers ever to wear garnet and gold," director of athletics Stan Wilcox said. "It's only fitting that his No. 55 will become a permanent part of Doak Campbell Stadium."

“There simply wasn’t a better defensive player in college football than Marvin Jones during his time at Florida State,” head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “He was a leader and dominant playmaker for some all-time great Seminoles teams. He had an incredible career and we are honored to retire his jersey this season.”

Jones won both the Butkus and Lombardi awards as a junior in 1992 and finished fourth in the balloting for the 1992 Heisman Trophy. He recorded 369 tackles over his three seasons with the Seminoles from 1990-92. FSU finished fourth in the Associated Press poll in both '90 and '91 and ranked second in '92 with an 11-1 record and a 27-14 win over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. A graduate of Northwestern High in Miami, Jones was inducted into FSU’s Sports Hall of Fame in 2000.

"I'm definitely grateful to Coach Fisher for making this happen," Jones told newyorkjets.com. "My brother, Fred, wore that number before me, then I wore it, and now my nephew, Fred Jones Jr., is there and he's wearing it. It's quite an honor."

Jets fans are more familiar with Jones' work in green and white. He was taken fourth overall in the 1993 draft and played his entire 11-season NFL career with the Jets. Despite missing the 1998 season with a knee injury, he played in 142 games (129 starts) and racked up 1,139 tackles, second-most in franchise history.

He started out at No. 54 with the Green & White but switched to that favorite number of his, No. 55, beginning with the '97 season.

Marvin credits his work in the pros with helping him receive his honors 23 years after his college career ended.

"A lot of good things I did for the Jets, on the field and off the field charity-wise, helped make me a well-rounded guy," he said. "I got to do all those things that really cast me in a good light, and it was kind of easy for them to honor me because of what I did playing for the Jets."

Jones will join Seminoles greats Fred Biletnikoff, Ron Sellers, Ron Simmons, Deion Sanders, Charlie Ward, Warrick Dunn, Chris Weinke, Derrick Brooks and Terrell Buckley as just the 10th FSU football player to be honored with the retirement of his number/jersey.

A beast. Inspired my name..one of my favorite jets. 

The he day they drafted him was one of my happiest as a jets fan. Had a very solid pro career but damn those injuries !! He never reached his ceiling. Football is a cruel game.

congrats, Shadetree 

Archived