With Calvin Johnson retiring.....Could Lions hold Firesale?

CanadaSteve

Was thinking about this at work.  With the loss of Suh last year, and the news of Johnson, you have to wonder if they go in full rebuild mold.  If that is the case, do the talks of Matthew Stafford come up again?

While I would take Stafford in a heartbeat, I don't think a 20th pick would do it, given they would need to replace him with a better QB prospect than what should be available at 20.

I was then thinking the perfect team for a move like that would be the Browns.  They could get themselves a bona-fide starter, and the Lions could pick a replacement and let him sit for one year behind a hold-the-fort guy.  2nd overall would be a tad too much, so a pick would have to come back the Browns way.

Could be interesting to see what the Lions do this off-season.

I doubt it.  First off, they finished the season very strong.  Won like their 6 out of their last 8 games.  They got a lot of help this year at the WR position from lining up Theo Riddick in the slot.  Golden Tate caught more passes than Megatron this year for 2nd year in a row, granted for less yards and TD's.  Eric Ebron came on strong much to my surprise.  They've still got a veteran WR in Lance Moore.

With the 16th overall pick, a WR could fall in their laps.

I dont see them trading Stafford.  The best way to win while you rebuild is with a QB and his 2nd half performance this year was baller status. 

47 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Seriously - 5 TDs in 47 receptions. Who saw that coming? He's definitely a league breakout candidate next year.

They'd be nuts to trade Stafford.

I agree....I would not agree with trading or releasing Stafford, but there was talk earlier in the season.  IF they did, I would love to have him, but I don't think our pick at 20 would do it.  Call it wishful thinking! 

It came down to Ebron or Amaro for us picking at TE.  I think Amaro will be good for us, but I think Ebron will be much better.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I doubt it.  First off, they finished the season very strong.  Won like their 6 out of their last 8 games.  They got a lot of help this year at the WR position from lining up Theo Riddick in the slot.  Golden Tate caught more passes than Megatron this year for 2nd year in a row, granted for less yards and TD's.  Eric Ebron came on strong much to my surprise.  They've still got a veteran WR in Lance Moore.

With the 16th overall pick, a WR could fall in their laps.

I dont see them trading Stafford.  The best way to win while you rebuild is with a QB and his 2nd half performance this year was baller status. 

And now they have $20M+ in cap space, too.  There were stretches where he was a glorified decoy (and they won games during those stretches)...they aren't blowing it up.

Archived