JetNation July 11th Tuesday Tidbits

JetNation

IMG_3907.jpg?fit=3295%2C2230

By Glenn Naughton

A few notes, thoughts and links to previous articles on Gang Green to pass along:

• Quincy Enunwa is the closest thing the Jets have to an established wide receiver, so there was a lively discussion in our forums about whether or not the team should kick the tires on recently released Dorial Green-Beckham.  In favor of it or not, the fact that not a single team has reportedly had the third-year receiver in for a visit is quite telling.
  • PFF released their list of “secret superstars” for every NFL team, naming guard James Carpenter as the Jets’ underappreciated high performers.  Carpenter’s addition two years ago doesn’t get enough credit from fans, but that’s what happens when the team looks as bad as the Jets did last season.
  • NFL news in July is sparse, which is why some outlets will report “news” that’s anything but.  A recent “report” claiming that USC QB Sam Darnold may not enter the 2018 NFL draft is silly for two reasons.  First off, that’s the case with any NFL prospect in college.  If they have eligibility remaining, there’s always a chance they could go back to school.  Second, everyone tying the Jets to Darnold is incredibly premature.  Nobody knows how the Jets view any of the quarterbacks in this class today, or where they’ll rack and stack them on draft day.
IMG_1996.jpg?resize=350%2C259

The Jets are hoping from big things out of Deon Simon in 2017.

• With Leonard Williams being Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson playing for a pay-day and Mo Wilkerson looking to bounce back from a disastrous 2016, big things could be in store up front for the Jets.  JetNation’s Robert Watson takes a look at the Jets D-line here, with emphasis on Richardson and Deon Simon.
  • Given the number of veterans who were let go this offseason, it’s fair to assume running back Matt Forte is only on the roster because it would be cost prohibitive to cut him.  It’s going to be interesting to see how John Morton uses the veteran back while having ample opportunity to allow a younger back, likely Elijah McGuire, to gain some game experience.
  • Buster Skrine’s name comes up quite among Jets fans and is often accused of committing pass interference penalties on a regular basis.  In reality, Skrine has been flagged for pass interference three times in each of the past two seasons, or six in 30 games.

Hang in there Jets fans.  Only a few weeks until training camp opens up.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nP_lnBKVJ74

Click here to read the full story...

Anyone else watch McGuire and think he can be a very similar player to Bilal Powell?  Both shifty, both have great hands, both good blockers, same height and only difference of 5-10 pounds in weight.

57 minutes ago, rangerous said:

skrine only had 3 pi penalties last season?  man it sure looked like he had 3 in one game. not all penalties get accepted either.

He had 10 penalties in all, one on special teams, a couple of unnecessary roughness calls and the rest were coverage penalties, four of which came in one game.

Not saying he wasn't bad because he was, but I know I've seen a few people say he had a ton of PI calls and I thought it may have been true myself so thought I'd look it up.

It is kind of lame to act like he only had 3 defensive PI calls when he had 4 defensive holding calls.  Most normal people kind of lump those two together.  That is 7 and he missed two games, so one every other week. As Air Force points out, he had a bunch in one game - was it the Cards?  When a guy implodes like that, fans get a very bad taste.

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Carpenter’s addition two years ago doesn’t get enough credit from fans, but that’s what happens when the team looks as bad as the Jets did last season.

Another way to put this is "that's what happens when a team without long-term solutions at any of the positions that matter gives $19 million to a guard."

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

He had 10 penalties in all, one on special teams, a couple of unnecessary roughness calls and the rest were coverage penalties, four of which came in one game.

Not saying he wasn't bad because he was, but I know I've seen a few people say he had a ton of PI calls and I thought it may have been true myself so thought I'd look it up.

the numbers don't lie.  i'm no skrine defender but he is pretty maligned on this board and in some of the games i watched it seemed like he did have tons of penalties.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

You have to get near the guy your marking to get a PI call.

Archived