Herm offers his annual GEL warnings

Green Jets & Ham

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/342999p-292904c.html

The thing that scares me about this is that last year was the FIRST TIME he made no referrence to Gelling and the team proceeded to win it's first 5 Games out of the Gate ... so why revert back to the same nonsense that was always accompanied by slow starts?

Every year Herm has b*tched about Gelling the Jets Got off to a slow start, as if it was a self fullfilling prophecy ... the one year he talks only about the absolute need to get off to a quick start the Jets bust out of the Gate with 5 IN A ROW ... so what does Herm learn from this experience?

Best to revert back to his trusted "GEL" warnings :roll:

Another man might have learned the opposite ... better to speak of FAST STARTS ... but not Herm ... apparently this was lost on ole Hermie ... so he reverts right back to the same defeatest {CYA} garbage that accompanied SLOW STARTS almost without fail, until he finally dropped that ANTI-MOTIVATIONAL nonsense in 2004

NY DAILY NEWS

RED FLAGS FROM HERM

BY RICH CIMINI

Chad Pennington is healthy. John Abraham is in camp. Ty Law is a Jet, not a Patriot. Mike Nugent is perfect, so far. And Curtis Martin is ready.

On the surface, the Jets just completed a wildly successful preseason. But wait a second, listen up: There were cautionary words emanating from the postgame locker room Thursday night in Philadelphia, and again yesterday from Herm Edwards.

Edwards was generally pleased with the preseason, but he mentioned a few question marks, most of them involving the offense.

Because of offseason shoulder surgery, Pennington got off to a late start in Mike Heimerdinger's system and experienced an up-and-down preseason. Edwards acknowledged that it may take some time for Pennington to feel comfortable, raising the question of whether the Jets could win an opening-day shootout against the high-scoring Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.

"Our passing game, we'll see," Edwards said. "I think it will improve as we play, but I think you've got to establish the run in this league."

Translation: The Jets will ride the 32-year-old Martin until Pennington gets settled.

After his flawless cameo against the Eagles' scrubs, Pennington candidly admitted that he and Heimerdinger still are in the feeling-out stage of their relationship.

"The biggest adjustment for me is, I try to get inside a coordinator's head," Pennington said. "That's going to take some time still, but I think we accomplished a lot in the preseason."

The same can't be said for Abraham and Law, the Jets' most accomplished defensive players. Law, who didn't sign until Aug. 8, participated in only one game (approximately 40 snaps), so he's not in top condition. Abraham waited until Monday to end his contract dispute, so he's had only one practice.

So think about it: Law, Abraham and Pennington, three of the Jets' best players, are dealing with injury/rust issues as they head into Kansas City. Curiously, Law didn't face the Eagles. Edwards said he simply rested Law, that it had nothing to do with his surgically repaired foot. But he wondered about Law's stamina.

"Ty Law, all of a sudden, is going to start. Is he in shape to go 77 plays? I don't know that," Edwards said. "How many plays can John Abraham play? I don't know that. . . . I don't know if they're concerns, but I haven't seen it live."

HermHaterNation will be up in arms over anything.

He is just being humble and trying to keep all the hype down. He should.

If he came out saying the team was going to dominate, HermHaterNation would be all over like he was the last jellybean at fat camp.

BZ

One thing Hermie does the best is to say; Duh

I don't know that! So Chad under Hackett goes

in the 4th game of 02 and leads the Jets to the

playoffs but under Dinger he's confused?? Maybe

Hermie figured if he got a raise and extention

by going 6-10 he'll break the Bank with a Kotite

type of record?? :mrgreen:=D>

HermHaterNation will be up in arms over anything.

He is just being humble and trying to keep all the hype down. He should.

If he came out saying the team was going to dominate, HermHaterNation would be all over like he was the last jellybean at fat camp.

BZ

Not so, bz

Last year Herm placed a special emphasis on the need to get off to a fast start ... fast start with no excuses ... it was the theme of last years preseason and all the way through the early stages of 2004 ... AND IT WORKED!! {5-0 out the Gate}

Every year prior Herm talked like he is now ... offering his annual GEL warnings ... and every year prior the Jets got off to either a slow start or a mediocre start

What would most men take from that experience? :-s

Looks like Hermy is getting all the excuses ready pretty early on. :shock:

The thing that drives me nuts about this ... he has employed this theme before, and the results {Out the Gate} were horrible, bad, or mediocre

Last year, for the first time, he did the opposite ... spoke only of fast starts and no excuses ... it was last years theme ... and the result was 5-0 Out the Gate

So why in heavens name would he revert back to the old failed theme of the past? ](*,)

The thing that drives me nuts about this ... he has employed this theme before, and the results {Out the Gate} were horrible, bad, or mediocre

Last year, for the first time, he did the opposite ... spoke only of fast starts and no excuses ... it was last years theme ... and the result was 5-0 Out the Gate

So why in heavens name would he revert back to the old failed theme of the past? ](*,)

He is looking for ajob on Belichick's staff next year?

Games start for real on 9/11. Be ready, period. We're in the fifth year of Hermie. DOn't care about schemes, systems, coaches, blah, blah, blah.That's what minicamp and camp were for. if they aren't ready then it's appropriate to ask what Edwards does exactly during those sessions.

If 5 years isn't enough to get his act together, what's the number exactly?

In fairness, you don't hear this from Henderson or Heimerdinger, 2 guys who know their futures as HCs in Division I or the NFL will turn on this season. ANd that gives me hope.

Gelling is total bullsh*t. Better he say NOTHING than talk like this.

I think the "fast start" was more about the tempo set in training camp, more carries to Curtis in pre-season than what Herm preaches to the media.

As far as I'm know they did the same thing this year (Giants scrimmage etc...)

And maybe I'm wrong but aside from the "fast start", I remember Herm saying the offense will have to carry the defense a little bit early last season.

Easy Ham, all Herm did is state the obvious in that Penny, Law and Abe have not had anything close to your normal pre-season and training camps.

That translates on any team to a possible slow start.

Let's not make it sound like a honest assessment from Herm will be the sole reason if we struggle out of the gate.

Oh yeah...see last years schedule to understand better the 5-0 start. We also had no major injuries, guys signing late or coming back from surgery.

Archived