I ******* hate the kick offs from the 35

F.Chowds

Until this became a talking point precisely because of the rule change, kickoffs were considered the most exciting plays in football by roughly nobody.

When they're run back for TD's they're exciting. And seeing as we typically are near the tops in the league in KR touchdowns (as well as having one of the best KR coverage units in the game), I'd say this rule change is bad for us.

When they're run back for TD's they're exciting. And seeing as we typically are near the tops in the league in KR touchdowns, I'd say this rule change is bad for us.

There is usually about 1 return for a TD per week... or less... you really think 5 yards is going to skew that a lot?

The reaction to this small change is comical.

When they're run back for TD's they're exciting. And seeing as we typically are near the tops in the league in KR touchdowns (as well as having one of the best KR coverage units in the game), I'd say this rule change is bad for us.

FWIW I think that the Jets actually voted in favor of the rule change. I assume the logic is that Westoff will make our returns work anyway, and that more touchbacks and long fields plays favors our defense.

Actually, from the sound of things I think Westhoff has every intention of at least trying to work this very much to the Jets advantage, at least on the coverage side. He's always made a point about preferring directional kicks with hang-time when the Jets kickers have all rarely kicked touchbacks, and has talked about it more this offseason. I think you're going to see him use the 5 yards closer for not only the kicker, but also by the coverage unit, to try to get balls with good hangtime dropping around the goal line and the coverage team swarming in quickly in an attempt to give some really lousy starting field position. We'll see how it goes. He's also already made it pretty clear that he has little intention of having his returners constantly taking knees.

Huh?

Not much has changed from last year and this just puts it back the way it was prior to changing it to the 30 yd line...

Are you kidding? Just about every kickoff I saw this past weekend resulted in a touchback. It's a significant difference from last year.

Are you kidding? Just about every kickoff I saw this past weekend resulted in a touchback. It's a significant difference from last year.

You are wrong. I do not have the time or energy to post up links and what not... but do some research... it was not a big difference and it really won't be once you get into the fall/winter...

It is 5 yards... not a huge difference.

You are wrong. I do not have the time or energy to post up links and what not... but do some research... it was not a big difference and it really won't be once you get into the fall/winter...

It is 5 yards... not a huge difference.

I will respectfully disagree. That 5 yards makes a huge difference within many factors. Kickers were frequently reaching the goal line, maybe 5 yards into the end zone because it mattered to get some hang time under the ball so your coverage can get down there. Now they can just drive the crap out of it, which will more often than not result in the ball going through the end zone. I probably saw more touchbacks this past weekend than I did all year last season, and I watch alot of football. The kickoff coverage is also getting a 5 yard head start, so it doesn't make much sense to try and take it out if the ball reaches the end zone at all. Just about every kicker in the league can kick the ball through the end zone if they are told to just drive it and don't worry about hang time or direction as much. Once the season begins and coaches aren't worried about evaluating their special teams players (keep in mind the Bears kicked off from the 30 yard line just so they could do that), most kickers are going to be told to just kick the sh*t out of it.

Didn't see this really impacting the Jets when they were returning the ball (Kerley looks outstanding), but I did see it impacting the opposition when they tried to take it out of the endzone.

So far, I see the new rule as a net positive for the Jets.

Archived