LT: "I think we can be the top offense in the league"

Jetsfan80

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461304576524773519456858.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Can the Jets' Offense Become Elite?

If It Does, It'll Be Because of Strong Efforts From New Receivers and a More Accurate Mark Sanchez

By CHRIS HERRING

AUGUST 23, 2011

All training camp, Jets players have been subtly hinting that this year's offense has the potential to be among the league's best.

Then, one of the team's elder statesmen—future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson—came out and bluntly gave his opinion on the subject: "I think we can be the top offense in the league, honestly," he said last week.

Much of Tomlinson's estimation—and people's higher expectations of the team's offense in general—comes from the Jets' new-look receiving corps. Players and coaches alike have expressed enthusiasm about having longtime veterans Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason lining up alongside Santonio Holmes.

And the excitement has reached fever-pitch levels after Burress showed flashes of his old self Sunday, making a diving touchdown grab 33 months removed from his last professional football game.

But is it realistic that the Jets, who finished 11th in yards per game last season, could be the league's best offense this year?

To be sure, the players, when talking about the offense's potential, have been upfront about the fact that they're still a work in progress.

The 37-year-old Mason, who missed Sunday night's game with a knee injury, said recently that the receivers "have to stay on the field," meaning injury-free. His knee injury, which isn't thought to be serious, came two days after the 34-year-old Burress returned from a left ankle sprain.

On top of that, with two newly signed receivers who haven't had the luxury of regularly working out with quarterback Mark Sanchez, the chemistry still isn't there.

But on some level, that lack of familiarity is the same thing that intrigues the team. "I've only had three days [of practice]," Burress said. Sanchez is equally excited about the potential, saying, "I've never had a target like him."

It's unlikely that Burress and Mason alone are big enough upgrades from last year's receivers to make the Jets the league's best offense.

While the team is counting on the 6-foot-5 Burress to help it make plays in the redzone, the player he's replacing, Braylon Edwards, was no slouch in that department.

The 6-foot-3 Edwards was nearly as dangerous as Burress in the redzone at times, according to Stats LLC. In 2007—the year in which both players enjoyed their best career redzone numbers—Edwards was targeted 25 times and hauled in nine redzone touchdowns. Burress was thrown to 17 times and had six touchdowns.

The team's run game this year will be led solely by Shonn Greene—a departure from each of the last two years, in which Greene split the load with more experienced backs. How he handles the extra carries could have an impact on the team's offensive production.

Still, the passing game may be the thing to watch most closely if the Jets want to have the league's best offense. If the offense is going to be more potent, Mason, the third receiver, will need to steamroll Jerricho Cotchery's 2010 campaign (41 catches, 433 yards, two TDs).

But more than anything, Sanchez will simply need to be more accurate. His completion percentage of 54.8% in 2010 was third-worst in the league.

Over the past 10 seasons, the lowest completion percentage for a quarterback whose team led the NFL in total offense was 62.5% (Trent Green of Kansas City in 2005). Just one quarterback in the past 15 years (Denver's John Elway in 1997) has led his team to the league's top offense with a completion percentage of less than 60%.

Sanchez said he's talked to coaches about his passing numbers, and that he knows he has to do better for the team to improve. "We need to complete more balls," he said.

But more than anything, Sanchez will simply need to be more accurate. His completion percentage of 54.8% in 2010 was third-worst in the league.

Over the past 10 seasons, the lowest completion percentage for a quarterback whose team led the NFL in total offense was 62.5% (Trent Green of Kansas City in 2005). Just one quarterback in the past 15 years (Denver's John Elway in 1997) has led his team to the league's top offense with a completion percentage of less than 60%.

Sanchez said he's talked to coaches about his passing numbers, and that he knows he has to do better for the team to improve. "We need to complete more balls," he said.

I said it the other thread about the offense, but its all about Sanchez. If he takes it to the next level, our offense is scary. How can you prepare for Holmes and Plax wide, Mason in the slot, Keller at TE and LT in the backfield? That is litearlly a nightmare for DC's.

I said it the other thread about the offense, but its all about Sanchez. If he takes it to the next level, our offense is scary. How can you prepare for Holmes and Plax wide, Mason in the slot, Keller at TE and LT in the backfield? That is litearlly a nightmare for DC's.

Look at who is our OC. He will find some way to screw it up.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Look at who is our OC. He will find some way to screw it up.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Same here. If there's a way to screw it up, Schotty will find it. He'll pick the opposite of the logical play to call, just to try and throw them off guard, but the defense will read it like a book because they know Schotty is predictable and always calls those plays.

Archived