McElroy to I.R.; Other Roster Moves

JetNation

If Mike Tannenbaum has proven one thing in his tenure with the Jets, it is that he does not rest when it comes to improving the roster.  Yesterday the Jets got down to the 53 man limit but that didn’t mean they were down making moves.  Today they announced that they have made several additional roster moves:

New York Jets

#EA
The Jets placed QB G. McElroy on season-ending IR. They also waived: OLB Aaron Maybin, DT Martin Tevaseu and CB Isaiah Truant.

nyjets
New York Jets

#EA
The Jets claimed 4 off waivers: QB K. O’Connell (MIA), S A. Sendejo (DAL), OL C. Baxter (SD) and WR M. Gilyard (STL)

Here is how they break down:

• QB:  McElroy to I.R. is a surprise, his initial timeline for recovery gave the indication that this move would not be made.  With Kevin O’Connell becoming available it is possible the Jets now envision a long-term 1, 2, 3 QB depth chart of Sanchez, McElroy and O’Connell but that wouldn’t be until 2012 because McElroy is officially done for the year.
  • Aaron Maybin – the former first round pick seemed to have a good camp after being waived by the Buffalo Bills.  Ultimately a speed rusher with possible upside became a nice to have as opposed to a must have.  This is another indication that the Jets are happy with the other kids that have as backups at linebacker.
  • Martin Tevaseu received great reviews in camp but when the team selected Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd round of the NFL draft, the immediate expectation was that he would backup Pouha at NT from day one, so this isn’t that surprising of a move.

Here is on the players the Jets signed today.

di</img>di</img>

_K8wzMW9v6A

View the full article

• QB: McElroy to I.R. is a surprise, his initial timeline for recovery gave the indication that this move would not be made. With Kevin O’Connell becoming available it is possible the Jets now envision a long-term 1, 2, 3 QB depth chart of Sanchez, McElroy and O’Connell but that wouldn’t be until 2012 because McElroy is officially done for the year.

From the way they act, I think it is clear that the Jets always kind of liked O'Connell as at least a backup. Maybe not enough to make a big deal about, but they always seem to pick him up if he's available. I think they probably had him slated for a late round draft choice but he got picked earlier.

From the way they act, I think it is clear that the Jets always kind of liked O'Connell as at least a backup. Maybe not enough to make a big deal about, but they always seem to pick him up if he's available. I think they probably had him slated for a late round draft choice but he got picked earlier.

I agree. I think they have said as much. The Pats picked O'Connell in the third the same year that the Jets picked Ainge. I am willing to bet that they preferrred O'Connell. It seems he has been very uneven. His first year he had a very good camp, but then in 2009 he fell apart. Physically he has all the tools, but that doesn't mean much, especially at QB. Interesting that they went with him with Clemens available though.

One of the added bonuses of Kevin O'Connell is that he spent the summer with the fish and their new playbook. That can't hurt.

I always wondered how that worked. Do they pull a guy like O'Connell into some meeting rooms and ask him what they are doing or is that sort of an unwritten rule of something that is not done.

I always wondered how that worked. Do they pull a guy like O'Connell into some meeting rooms and ask him what they are doing or is that sort of an unwritten rule of something that is not done.

I think they pretty much water board him. Lol!

Don't understand the Lowery trade. He's a guy that could step up and be your 3 or 4 corner in the event of injuries and provides a ton of depth at safety.

lowery wasn't fast enough to begin with and he gained like 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. He's probably not fast enough for man-to-man corner... he was a safety convert with the Jets... better off let him go to a zone defense... that conditional pick could be juicy if he plays well... like a 4th or 5th just speculating. Lowery wasn't gonna get any snaps and not in their long term plans.

lowery wasn't fast enough to begin with and he gained like 10 pounds of muscle this offseason. He's probably not fast enough for man-to-man corner... he was a safety convert with the Jets... better off let him go to a zone defense... that conditional pick could be juicy if he plays well... like a 4th or 5th just speculating. Lowery wasn't gonna get any snaps and not in their long term plans.

I hadn't read that Lowery put on 10 pounds. Was that intentional for his move to safety? I agree that the trade was probably best for all parties. Lowery is a decent player, but not a very good fit.

Archived